Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 10:00 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
There isn't, because arterial elasticity is a major factor.

OP, I think with your family history, you likely should be on meds. You may need to drastically change your diet, but it may be that your genes are such that your diet is not the most important factor.

Also, I think you should get a home BP cuff, and start tracking your BP at home. This will sort out whether that high reading was an anomaly.

Did the ER give you suggestions for followup care? What were they?
Hospital put me on BP Lisinopril 10mgs which turned out not strong enough because BP went up this today too 213/120 which is dangerous. So my family doctor has giving me 20 mgs to take one a day and so far it's working I hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 02:11 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hospital put me on BP Lisinopril 10mgs which turned out not strong enough because BP went up this today too 213/120 which is dangerous. So my family doctor has giving me 20 mgs to take one a day and so far it's working I hope.

You should be checking it at home regularly to make sure it's working.

It might take more than one medication to control it, and you may need to adjust doses for a while until it stabilizes.

Old 10-17-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
There isn't, because arterial elasticity is a major factor.

OP, I think with your family history, you likely should be on meds. You may need to drastically change your diet, but it may be that your genes are such that your diet is not the most important factor.

Also, I think you should get a home BP cuff, and start tracking your BP at home. This will sort out whether that high reading was an anomaly.

Did the ER give you suggestions for followup care? What were they?
Wanted me too follow up my family doctor.

This is my family history when comes too strokes, Mother had stroke at 70, My Mother father at 70 died from stroke right away, My mother sister was in a nursing home for 22 years before dying. I have cousin that had a major stroke at 50 years old and now has mind of a 9 year old.

Last edited by JD59; 10-17-2019 at 02:33 PM..

Old 10-18-2019, 12:28 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
That's a joke. 10mg? That's for very mild hypertension. They make a 40mg. I take 20mg as a precaution and don't really have a problem. I know some people that are on 3 different medications and still have trouble. If you have a machine which I assume you do and the 20mg is not working you can double up. It should be no higher than 130.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:51 PM

Now I take a 20 mgs pill a day and it's working. The question I'm asking is can blood pressure get up too 500/100 and cause no damage?

Old 10-18-2019, 06:01 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Quote:
Now I take a 20 mgs pill a day and it's working. The question I'm asking is can blood pressure get up too 500/100 and cause no damage?

Why do you ask this? The answer is no. I've never even seen a sphygmomanometer that measures higher than 300 mm Hg.

Last edited by oldgardener; 10-18-2019 at 06:28 PM..

Old 10-18-2019, 06:04 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
That's a joke. 10mg? That's for very mild hypertension. They make a 40mg. I take 20mg as a precaution and don't really have a problem. I know some people that are on 3 different medications and still have trouble. If you have a machine which I assume you do and the 20mg is not working you can double up. It should be no higher than 130.
Are you John's treating physician? I assume you must be since you are giving him specific medical advice regarding medication dosage and BP targets...so you must know his age and all his comorbidities and other medications he is taking, right?

Do you know how old John is? Aggressive BP lowering in the elderly can lead to consequences of extreme hypotension resulting in falls or worse...

Older folks with carotid artery disease or cerebral artery disease have an inverse relationship with blood pressure lowering which can lead to sudden decrease in cerebral perfusion resulting in stroke with aggressive lowering of BP

In older folks management of hypertension doesn't follow the cook book you seem to think it does and "start low go slow" is the mantra...

Old 10-18-2019, 06:20 PM

My age is 59 and been on blood thinner since 2002 and have Diabetes type two since 2003. Never been on B.P. pills till now. Every month I have my B.P. checked by my nurse that checks INR and other things.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Are you John's treating physician? I assume you must be since you are giving him specific medical advice regarding medication dosage and BP targets...so you must know his age and all his comorbidities and other medications he is taking, right?

Do you know how old John is? Aggressive BP lowering in the elderly can lead to consequences of extreme hypotension resulting in falls or worse...

Older folks with carotid artery disease or cerebral artery disease have an inverse relationship with blood pressure lowering which can lead to sudden decrease in cerebral perfusion resulting in stroke with aggressive lowering of BP

In older folks management of hypertension doesn't follow the cook book you seem to think it does and "start low go slow" is the mantra...
That's the exact advice my doctor gave me and anybody with any brains could figure that out. He also said you could cut the dose in half if needed. Do you live with your doctor 24 hours a day? Does he monitor your BP constantly? The answer is NO. If you care about your health you do it yourself especially with something like blood pressure which doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out. What would be the danger? That his BP goes too low? His problem is HIGH blood pressure, he is not going low if he first posted this:

Quote:
My blood pressure when up to 234/100 the hospital ER said and all tests came back after normsl.
With that number, he's lucky he didn't have a stroke.

As for me being a doctor, do you see any doctors here? He is asking complete strangers, nobody is pretending to be a doctor here.

In addition, there is a disclaimer on the main page of this forum. This is what it says in case you missed it.

Quote:
The Content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
My age is 59 and been on blood thinner since 2002 and have Diabetes type two since 2003. Never been on B.P. pills till now. Every month I have my B.P. checked by my nurse that checks INR and other things.
Get a machine and check your BP every now and then. It's like testing your blood sugar as a diabetic. It is something that you can and should do yourself and not wait till you see the doctor. There are usually no symptoms and it can change from one day to the next. If you find that it's high and your meds are not working (I now realize you never took them before) go see the doctor, you may have other issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness