Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 04:15 PM

924 posts, read 1,668,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I just read this thread and I've been working at keeping BP in a good place for probably 20 yrs or so and I'm 81.. And I believe taking antioxidants like Vit C and Grape Seed Extract as I do keep healthy circulation and clean blood. And you can find info to this affect. But I read where one takes a blood thinner drug so can't take them all. Right, I'm no doc but even the docs don't have the answers and most probably don't mention the antioxidants.
The combination of grapeseed extract and Vitamin C actually raises blood pressure.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15662232

A significant interaction between grape-seed and vitamin C treatments for effects on BP was observed. Vitamin C alone reduced systolic BP versus placebo (-1.8 +/- 0.8 mmHg, P = 0.03), while polyphenols did not (-1.3 +/- 0.8 mmHg, P = 0.12). However, treatment with the combination of vitamin C and polyphenols increased systolic BP (4.8 +/- 0.9 mmHg versus placebo; 6.6 +/- 0.8 mmHg versus vitamin C; 6.1 +/- 0.9 mmHg versus polyphenols mmHg, each P < 0.0001) and diastolic BP (2.7 +/- 0.6 mmHg, P < 0.0001 versus placebo; 1.5 +/- 0.6 mmHg, P = 0.016 versus vitamin C; 3.2 +/- 0.7 mmHg, P < 0.0001 versus polyphenols).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 07:10 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,418,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
YOU are the only one who made "assumptions" ie that it would be SAFE to double the prescribed amount of a medication when YOU don't know anything about this poster's health history....
NEITHER DO YOU!!

He never posted anything about his history or his age till you came in and called him elderly. Go back and read if you need to. He later came back and said he was 59, NOT exactly elderly is he?

I'm 56, yeah sure I can join the AARP, it doesn't make me elderly. And just because you treat patients as you say, doesn't tell you anything about this guy, nothing.

What I posted was in direct response to the information he DID provide, nothing else. I was not making ANY assumptions, he POSTED it.

Note the bolded part below.

Quote:
Hospital put me on BP Lisinopril 10mgs which turned out not strong enough because BP went up this today too 213/120 which is dangerous. So my family doctor has giving me 20 mgs to take one a day and so far it's working I hope.
I said, go out and get a machine and quit guessing at it. IF and that's a BIG if, if you test it and it's still not under 130, increase the medication. That is the EXACT thing his doctor did. DO YOU GET IT?

I even posted a link to buy a BP monitor for a whopping $19, anybody can afford that. I have the same machine and it works great.

I'm done with senseless arguing, the guy is not even around. I couldn't care less.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:56 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,244,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hospital put me on BP Lisinopril 10mgs which turned out not strong enough because BP went up this today too 213/120 which is dangerous. So my family doctor has giving me 20 mgs to take one a day and so far it's working I hope.
Hi. I was taking bp meds for a while and I got too sure of myself when I saw my bp reading in the normal range,so I stupidly stopped taking the meds. Then when I went for dental treatment, I was like 230 high and the dentist got scared and warned me. I went back to my doctor who then put me back on meds, I was taking 20 lisinopril but then that wasn't enough either, so she upped it to 40 mgs, and while it's still higher than 120/80, its much better than it was before. I guess (sigh) I'll be taking meds for bp for the rest of my life. I don't bother taking my pressure at home because I did that for a while but what's the use? I go to the doctor to get it checked, the nurse checks it, no problem.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:59 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,244,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
The combination of grapeseed extract and Vitamin C actually raises blood pressure.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15662232

A significant interaction between grape-seed and vitamin C treatments for effects on BP was observed. Vitamin C alone reduced systolic BP versus placebo (-1.8 +/- 0.8 mmHg, P = 0.03), while polyphenols did not (-1.3 +/- 0.8 mmHg, P = 0.12). However, treatment with the combination of vitamin C and polyphenols increased systolic BP (4.8 +/- 0.9 mmHg versus placebo; 6.6 +/- 0.8 mmHg versus vitamin C; 6.1 +/- 0.9 mmHg versus polyphenols mmHg, each P < 0.0001) and diastolic BP (2.7 +/- 0.6 mmHg, P < 0.0001 versus placebo; 1.5 +/- 0.6 mmHg, P = 0.016 versus vitamin C; 3.2 +/- 0.7 mmHg, P < 0.0001 versus polyphenols).
Magnesium, I read, is said to lower blood pressure. I've been taking it for constipation and anyway my pressure came down as I've been taking lisinopril also. We evidently don't get enough magnesium in our food.
Oh, and one more thing. The dental student that took my pressure when it was sky high inflated that cuff so hard on my arm that I told her the cuff hurt me. The last one (a nurse) who took the pressure was much gentler, and anyway, the pressure was lower. (I started taking bp medication, don't know if the lesser pressure of the cuff had anything to do with it. BUT -- I'm trying.)

Old 11-02-2019, 06:38 AM

22,619 posts, read 24,441,992 times
Depends somewhat on the strength and integrity of your vasculature, which will vary from person to person.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:49 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,461,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Depends somewhat on the strength and integrity of your vasculature, which will vary from person to person.
Thanks for the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness