Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 11:46 AM

13,652 posts, read 12,307,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We'e talked about this before on BP threads that sugars/carbs are now considered "culprifts" in HyperTension and not salt that much. Who knows, it's a huge guessing game.
They can all influence it but I think reducing sugars has ancillary affects that lower blood pressure.

Lowering salt can do it quickly if you eat a lot of it (or even a "moderate" amount.)

If you don't believe me eat some campbells soup and tell me what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 12:01 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,619,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
They can all influence it but I think reducing sugars has ancillary affects that lower blood pressure.

Lowering salt can do it quickly if you eat a lot of it (or even a "moderate" amount.)

If you don't believe me eat some campbells soup and tell me what happens.
Oh any soups I use in cans is only Progressive no sodium or low sodium.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:36 PM

11,022 posts, read 6,564,832 times
Anecdotal, but drastically cutting down on drinking really lowered my BP that was high for decades. I never treated it, but now it's down anyway. 120/70 yesterday.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:41 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,955,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post

Hypertension is the gateway drug.

Heart attack/stroke is the gateway death.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:04 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,321,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
For those saying that High Blood Pressure is not a killer, its usually one of the main sources for people dying of a stroke, aneurism, kidneys failing or organ. My father was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure in his mid-40's however at that point it was too late, he wasn't aware for how long it was high, he is now functioning on 30% kidney function.
I've worked with a number of people who have high blood pressure, neglect to take their medication when they are supposed to and then start to get intense headaches once their pressure starts going up. Yet they still are very sloppy with their meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I've been on bp meds for 30 years. Here is the score; systolic/diastolic. Your systolic is fine but your diastolic can be considered borderline. The diastolic is your heart at rest. If the diastolic was consistently over 100, that's a cause for real concern. If you are overweight go on a diet. Losing even 20 pounds will have a positive effect on your BP. Lighten up on the sodium too. Eat natural unprocessed foods and salt to taste. You will find that the sodium in cans of soups are in the hundreds of milligrams and that's per serving.
Sodium only affects certain people.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:12 PM

4,228 posts, read 3,141,512 times
In all seriousness, high blood pressure is nothing to sneeze at....it IS a killer! That said, an occasional high reading doesn't warrant loosing sleep unless it is insanely high. My approach is to take a 50 point rolling average so I can observe for any trend. My blood pressure is almost always slightly elevated at the doctor's office 135-145/75 or so but my 50 point rolling average is 123 over 71. In my late 60's the doctor seems pretty happy with that....no medication.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:40 PM

3,758 posts, read 5,285,954 times
The clinic where my doctor works was recently bought out by the big hospital in town.

Prior to the buyout, my blood pressure never caused my doctor any worries.
After the buyout, he has now started prescribing blood pressure medicine for me.

What is the difference?

Yup. Big hospital is forcing all inherited medical staff to start pushing the medicine gravy train down the tracks.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:44 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,955,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
The clinic where my doctor works was recently bought out by the big hospital in town.

Prior to the buyout, my blood pressure never caused my doctor any worries.
After the buyout, he has now started prescribing blood pressure medicine for me.

What is the difference?

Yup. Big hospital is forcing all inherited medical staff to start pushing the medicine gravy train down the tracks.

Yup. Stay off that gravy train...go ahead and have a heart attack or stroke, that'll teach 'em.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:19 PM

3,481 posts, read 3,175,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
If you were sitting in your dentist's chair with a blood pressure of 220/185 and had a heart attack and died in the chair, or had a stroke in the chair, guess who would blame the dentist? Everybody. "You injected an extremely hypertensive patient with epinephrine??? That's irresponsible, you should have checked your patient's blood pressure!!"

Dental patients aren't just teeth, they are people, and people have health issues which need to be known by dental personnel before treatment. Not only hypertension, but also endocarditis, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, AIDS/HIV, etc.---your dentist needs to know about it.
Ha, ha. Everybody is a doctor these days.
Except doctors.
I get ya.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:59 AM

962 posts, read 608,640 times
According to 3 different "risk calculators" on the web, my chance of a heart attack or stroke in the next 10 years is:
1) 2.7%
2) 1.0%
3) 2.6%

I check my blood pressure daily, and my 30-day average is 130/80 (no meds).

I don't smoke, don't drink, exercise daily, maintain a healthy weight, and my cholesterol numbers are optimal.

Yet my doctor insists that I take two meds daily to treat "high blood pressure".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness