Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 08:26 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,731,833 times

Advertisements

I get these regularly. They are getting worse as time goes on.

I’ve been in very bad shape for two days now. Decided to take the chance and call a urologist locally. My PCP is an hour and a half away. No way am I making that drive.
Called the urologist and wanted to first check to see if they took my insurance. The woman on the phone said to tell me what the back of the card said. I asked to please bear with me while I get it. I’m in a lot of pain.

She stopped me right there and said “we don’t deal with pain here, you’ll have to go somewhere else”.

Seriously??? Do they automatically think everyone is a seeker?

My husband wonders why I don’t go to the doctor. It seems they never want to help you.

I hear so many say their doctors tell them to go home and drink water. Honestly, I don’t want to spend the money to be told that.

Does anyone else suffer from these? Does a doctor actually do anything for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 09:39 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,813,010 times
Maybe what she meant to say was that if you're in pain you should go to the ER, rather than wait for an appointment at the doctor's office.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:58 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,002,943 times
The husband gets kidney stones regularly, or used to. After he finally passed a 12 mm stone a couple years ago he made some lifestyle changes. He now generally drinks 100 ounces of water each day. No stones since!

I'm sorry you're dealing with this - I hear they're extremely painful!

Old 10-18-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Maybe what she meant to say was that if you're in pain you should go to the ER, rather than wait for an appointment at the doctor's office.
I would have thought that might be the case if not for her tone when she said it.

I drink over a gallon of water per day. I do not go to any doctor unless I am in bad shape. Seriously, insurance post ACA is just not worth having. It would cost less to hop a plane to Mexico each time I would need to see a doctor.

This is incredibly painful and the nausea is pretty awful too.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:56 AM

7,121 posts, read 4,958,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post

She stopped me right there and said “we don’t deal with pain here, you’ll have to go somewhere else”.

?

All this new computerized medical records and the paper work burden of Obummercare and every little 4 bed hospital now is a corporation with a "medical group" and there's no personal responsibility among the care-givers anymore. They put some high school drop out manning the phones and she's asking personal questions about your condition and doing the triage that a qualified, licensed practitioner should be doing.

Rodney Dangerfield: I get no respect. I was feeling down and called the Suicide Prevention Hot Line..They put me on "hold."

In regards stones-- they form when the amount of a mineral in your urine exceeds the saturation limit-- the mineral precipitates out as a "stone." They cause pain when they get stuck in the ureter on their way down to your bladder. (A grain of sand would be a huge stone.)

By keeping well hydrated, you not only increase the amount of that mineral that will stay in solution, but you also keep the ureter "puffed out" so a stone has more room to float free.

Some medical conditions are very prone to stone formation- like gout or any condition that makes your Calcium levels go up. They need specific treatment. Other people are just "stone formers" and need to keep well hydrated and avoid certain foods to prevent them.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:29 AM

20 posts, read 9,192 times
I belong to the online group called TLO ( Trying Low Oxalates) which is on Yahoo and moving to io.groups, and a Facebook TLO group also exists.

Most kidney stones are made of calcium oxalate, and there are foods high in oxalates which cause stones to form requiring diet changes, and there is an effective treatment that exists to keep the calcium oxalate from forming stones. Just google "try low oxalates and Susan Owen" for more information.

It is too long and involved to explain here, but if you look for TLO, then there is help to learn how to stop the stones from reoccurring.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:09 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,972,534 times
OP call your unhelpful urologist again and ask them if they would prescribe 'Tamsulosin' for you. It helps open up the little tubes those stones have to pass through. Even a GP might prescribe that medication or similar one for you.

On the other hand; I hope that you are over the worst pain. The trip from the kidney to the bladder is the hardest, most painful, trip. And, yes, I have had the dry heaves and nausea from that pain. As soon as your stone/stones reach the bladder you can breathe again; the pain goes away almost immediately. Of course you still have to get the little buggers out of you and that could take some time before they start the last trip. The last one I passed took two weeks before it started the last journey. However your tube is a larger diameter and it is not as painful as the first leg of the journey.

Good luck!

I have one about a half inch in length that has not started the first leg. It is in my left kidney; I did pass one in my right kidney just a few months ago.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
OP call your unhelpful urologist again and ask them if they would prescribe 'Tamsulosin' for you. It helps open up the little tubes those stones have to pass through. Even a GP might prescribe that medication or similar one for you.

On the other hand; I hope that you are over the worst pain. The trip from the kidney to the bladder is the hardest, most painful, trip. And, yes, I have had the dry heaves and nausea from that pain. As soon as your stone/stones reach the bladder you can breathe again; the pain goes away almost immediately. Of course you still have to get the little buggers out of you and that could take some time before they start the last trip. The last one I passed took two weeks before it started the last journey. However your tube is a larger diameter and it is not as painful as the first leg of the journey.

Good luck!

I have one about a half inch in length that has not started the first leg. It is in my left kidney; I did pass one in my right kidney just a few months ago.
You are super local to me. Just saw your location.

I have Flomax from one of the others I’ve had. Taking it. It feels like it’s stuck in the ureter. I can point to the spot where I think it is.

I may be taking that trip down to my PCP now that I can see straight again. Still painful but with it being where it is, it’s localized and I can handle the drive.

It’s very annoying that doctors up here think everyone are seekers. I have news for them. With my copays and deductibles, it would be far cheaper to get drugs on the street than to go to a doctor. When what I actually want is to have this checked and come up with a plan to get rid of it. And yes, some meds to help with the sheer agony that comes with it. My PCP has known me since I was 16. She will help me. I just couldn’t make it last week.

I did call her and told her I couldn’t make it there. Her advice was to go to the ER. When I tell you I have high cost insurance, I’m not joking. The ER is a ridiculous expense to take the chance that they’ll tell me to drink water and go home. At least now I can go down to her and just pay that and do a direct lab ct scan, keep costs down and take it from there. With it stuck, the pain is localized and bearable, hurting most when I urinate or believe it or not, have gas that must pass close by. Sorry if that was TMI.

I’ve given birth with no medicine. I’m getting tired of hearing about the 90% of the population suffering needlessly with pain for the 10% that become addicts.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:13 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,972,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
You are super local to me. Just saw your location.

I have Flomax from one of the others I’ve had. Taking it. It feels like it’s stuck in the ureter. I can point to the spot where I think it is.

I may be taking that trip down to my PCP now that I can see straight again. Still painful but with it being where it is, it’s localized and I can handle the drive.

It’s very annoying that doctors up here think everyone are seekers. I have news for them. With my copays and deductibles, it would be far cheaper to get drugs on the street than to go to a doctor. When what I actually want is to have this checked and come up with a plan to get rid of it. And yes, some meds to help with the sheer agony that comes with it. My PCP has known me since I was 16. She will help me. I just couldn’t make it last week.

I did call her and told her I couldn’t make it there. Her advice was to go to the ER. When I tell you I have high cost insurance, I’m not joking. The ER is a ridiculous expense to take the chance that they’ll tell me to drink water and go home. At least now I can go down to her and just pay that and do a direct lab ct scan, keep costs down and take it from there. With it stuck, the pain is localized and bearable, hurting most when I urinate or believe it or not, have gas that must pass close by. Sorry if that was TMI.

I’ve given birth with no medicine. I’m getting tired of hearing about the 90% of the population suffering needlessly with pain for the 10% that become addicts.
I am sorry that I did not see your response earlier or that I did not remember to tell you. The only temporary relief that I had from the pain is to let a hot shower hit me right on my kidney. Of course sooner or later you either turn into a prune or run out of hot water. A hot water bottle to lay on or a heating pad (most say not to lay on them) helps some. It does work better than pain meds (or at least better than the ones that were given to me). I really do not like to take pain meds; but kidney stones are very painful.

I hope that your stone finally moved down to your bladder. At least you should get a break from the pain and the rest off the trip should not be as painful.

My stone were the calcium oxalate stones at first and then they became partial uric acid stones. So I have been taking potassium citrate to dissolve the uric acid part.

My problem is that I am a tea drinker - which is very bad for stones. I never really drank and I gave up smoking 20 years ago. I also gave up Pepsi that I used to be addicted to. There is something about giving up everything and only drinking water that really goes against the grain. I am afraid that I might have to give up the tea eventually.

I did not like the time I had my stones physically removed. The lithotripsy is not that bad.

Good luck - neighbor!

Old 10-22-2019, 09:51 PM

So I went to my doctor today. I couldn’t drive myself as I was at the point of delirium. I think 8 days of pain and lack of proper sleep played a large part in it. Really felt like I was losing my mind a little. It was like periods of lucidity and periods of nonsense thoughts and emotions. Very strange. I knew it was happening. Knew the thoughts weren’t normal but having them anyway.
I am now having pain from the kidney all the way to the bladder.
I was sent for an emergency ct scan.

It showed a small stone in my bladder, a polyp, and diverticulitis. I do fasting on a regular basis, but no more than 24 hours. I’m now forced to do a 48 hour. No big deal.
Need to get a colonoscopy. Never had one and it sounds scary but I’ll do it.

I was given antibiotics and pain medicine. Actually taking one of the antibiotics and one of the pain pills has really helped me to be able to sit still. I just couldn’t prior as I couldn’t get comfortable. Constantly switching from sitting to standing to walking, hunching over, etc.

I was told the pain I’m feeling from that left kidney on down is the diverticulitis and not the stone. I was quite surprised. I'd heard of diverticulitis but never knew what it was. No reason to ever know.

Just happy I’ll finally be able to rest tonight. I haven’t had more than 3.5 hours of sleep per day in over a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness