Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:10 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times

Advertisements

I cracked the knuckle on my right thumb 35-40 years ago, but since it still worked [sort of] I didn't bother going to the doctor. It doesn't give me any trouble now, but it kind of looks like I have a bunion on my hand, and it's obvious when compared to my left hand that something did indeed happen to it. But if your finger has stayed swollen that long, you really should see a doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 01:33 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,845,674 times
I had the same finger slammed in doors twice by two different people. Neither time did anyone think to take me to the doctor. This happened over twenty years ago. The top end of the finger that was broken is now wider than the rest of the finger, and swollen if you look at the finger from the side. It doesn't hurt at all and it doesn't prevent me from doing anything normally.

If I were you I would get yours fixed while it still can be. (Of course I don't know if you can have them repaired later in life--maybe you can if they break it?--I wouldn't want to go through that pain twice!)

Old 02-06-2013, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,484 times
When I first broke my finger, I could bend it as well. But I got an x ray and it was VERY broken. A spiral fracture. I had to have surgery to screws put in. You should go to th hospital and get an x ray at least.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:29 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Yes, several. It blew up like a hotdog and was purple. You cannot bend it. I did not have it set, did not know it was broken. Saw a dr. a month later, he said it was too late to reset. For years could not bend the index finger, itwas broke across the knuckle. but a decade later it loosened up, now it is good.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:05 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Implants make light work of fixing broken bones

Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
I had an incident with my finger about 2 or 3 weeks back where it got caught in my dog's collar, and really stuck. It swelled up to the point where I had to have my boyfriend butter up my finger to take my ring off (LOL)! Now it is still swollen to the point that I cannot put my ring back on, although I can bend it (not easily). Anyone have any experience with broken fingers? I don't have health ins., so I'm trying to avoid going to the ER.

Thanks, folks!
I"m thinking it's a little late now to do anything anyway--you have to get in within 24 hours I've heard.

I sprained all the fingers on my right hand over 30 years ago and they are still bigger than the fingers on my left hand. Had a break in the pinky finger when I was 7 and that whole segment is shorter than the other b/c I must have broken the growth plate I think--there's a whole quarter inch diff in the fingers.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I"m thinking it's a little late now to do anything anyway--you have to get in within 24 hours I've heard.

I sprained all the fingers on my right hand over 30 years ago and they are still bigger than the fingers on my left hand. Had a break in the pinky finger when I was 7 and that whole segment is shorter than the other b/c I must have broken the growth plate I think--there's a whole quarter inch diff in the fingers.
You have more than 24 hours, you actually have a couple of weeks minimum to address a broken finger...

However the post you are responding to is nearly 5 years old so I definitely think it is too late now...

Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
I didn't break a finger, but, the middle finger on my right hand (I'm right handed) fell out of place. It was a very odd situation. Two days previous, an orthopedist had giving me a pain shot in the knuckle of my pointing finger, then it was the finger next to it that dropped out of place. Unfortunately, the physician didn't know what it do. The pain was horrendous when he tried to put it back. Finally, one day, he did something that pretty much crippled my right hand. The dangling finger was popped back into some sort of place, although, my hand will not fully open.

Soon after it happened, I learned, from reading on the net, this is an injury usually happening to those involved in sports, which doesn't describe me.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,171 times
Default I broke my finger 6 weeks ago

I didnt go to the docter until last week, broken in 3 different ares. the places a splint with a 30 degree angle and will check it agian in 2 weeks and change the degree of the splint to 20 degrees, they said they will do that until it is straight, but the it may never be able to bend all the way

they also said that waiting as long as i did, did not change the out come except the treatment: they would probably buddy taped it to the next finger over instead of the splint.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:30 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
I think I broke my finger once when a power drill caught my finger and coat when it started unintentionally. It took a long time before the pain in the joint was gone. By now I don't even remember which finger it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness