Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 11:23 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,435,896 times

Advertisements

I seriously think "reading" even just for pleasure aids the mind. My aunt is 78,she is phenomenal at historical matters. She does sudoku with speed. I marvel that she still takes leisure walks thru the neighborhoods. Fresh air. Reading. Sure seems to be her memory jogger.

My accuracy is waning in my math skills. Usually the transposing.
I forget trivia info ...names of actors or movies that I could recite with ease...now escape me. I rely more on "looking it up" to reboot my memory. It's rather shame filled when I can not recall simple facts. I do read ..and dearly love solving math problems. So unsure if it's diet or exercise that needs revamped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 12:06 PM

1,013 posts, read 723,488 times
My father had Alzheimer’s disease and died at the age I am now (74). I think about it often. Knowing how smart he was, yet he developed it, I imagine there’s little I can do to cause or prevent it. It’s a monster of a disease. It takes the person you love years before they actually die.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:48 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,626,620 times
Yes, every time I forget something I think about it. Neither of my parents lost any cognition but BOTH of
DH's had dementia, so yeah, I'm worried.

Living in another culture with a foreign language I think is pretty stimulating to the brain. We watch TV with Spanish subtitles.

I hope reading helps since I read for hours a day.

Can't get into games, puzzles or cards, though.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:18 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,716,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, every time I forget something I think about it. Neither of my parents lost any cognition but BOTH of
DH's had dementia, so yeah, I'm worried.

Living in another culture with a foreign language I think is pretty stimulating to the brain. We watch TV with Spanish subtitles.

I hope reading helps since I read for hours a day.

Can't get into games, puzzles or cards, though.
Since I can't sit for hours to play bridge and was away from it for a couple yrs with knee mess, I've gotten into the "games and trivia" of this forum and another. I work to tax the mind. And it's fun too.

And I am thankful for the good life I had when I could go go go, and it's changed. So we have to not stay stuck in what we don't have.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-01-2019 at 01:28 PM..

Old 11-01-2019, 01:32 PM

23,217 posts, read 18,720,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Same here. I also pooh-pooh posts about excessive use of supplements. I wonder if those posters have memory problems because they post the same things over and over.
When you think about it, all the supplements in the world probably won't stave off memory loss/disease unless you actually exercise the muscle. If you don't keep those neurons busy working eventually they'll stop, no matter how many fancy chemicals you feed them. Does diet help? I'm sure it does, just as it helps maintain the rest of you. Coincidentally (and anecdotally) just got a sobering email from a close friend about her father. A serious health/supplement/diet warrior for decades. Diagnosed with some type of dementia at 69. After increasing aggression and abusive behavior over the last five years is now in memory care with little to no memory of anyone.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:17 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,215,253 times
My brain functions fine in most respects except for short term memory loss. I'm particularly bad with driving directions. There are stores I have gone to for years that I now use the direction APP on my I-phone to get to. I often use my wife as my co-pilot I also have a little mantra I use when I exit the house to drive somewhere. It's P-W-K. Phone, wallet, keys. it is a little alarming to have a thought as I walk from the living room, through the dining room, into the kitchen and completely forget what I was intending to do in those 20 steps. Ah, the joy of getting old!

Old 11-01-2019, 04:05 PM

3,261 posts, read 4,994,595 times
This is not on my list of things to worry about. I do the best I can, and what's gonna be is gonna be. I have my long-term care insurance in place, and I hope for the best.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:56 PM

6,124 posts, read 4,490,859 times
I went back to office work and got way more on my plate than I expected, but having to remember how to remember all those names and faces and details and computer programs - and the fact that I am still able to do it, is golden. Other than that, I love puzzles, crosswords and jigsaws, I watch a lot of subtitled movies and read a lot, and I follow patterns for beading and crocheting and sewing, and try new recipes. And no one here in my rural area knows this, but I only started to drive the year before last! I never had to in NYC, but I'd be my own prisoner here if I didn't.

So I guess I'm keeping my brain busy enough not to waste time worrying about itself. If and when it doesn't work I only hope I won't realize it.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:27 AM

15,217 posts, read 10,291,036 times
I used to worry about dementia and/or Alzheimer's because my paternal grandparents both suffered from it. Then I recently discovered that the man I thought was my father for 64 years isn't. I tracked down my biological father only to discover that he had dementia and lived into his 80's. So yeah, now I worry about it a bit especially since I'm forgetting minor things.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:50 AM

1,417 posts, read 733,113 times
Yep. I have an irrational fear of mad-cow disease, such that in 2000 I gave up all red meat (exception for ostrich), pork, lamb etc. I have never touched it since then. Having witnessed the effect of Alzheimers firsthand many times, I am terrified of it and especially fearful for those around me, as I am a highly trained combatant and fear the harm that could be done to others in a state of paranoia or dementia. .

There is some hope that in the next few decades we will be able to leave advanced directives that allow humane euthanasia, to spare my loved ones witnessing our decline. Self termination seems like a decent option, but it requires a state of consciousness that may not be available if you are in a state of decline.

Overall, except my soda addiction (which periodically break, just to prove it to myself), I have a pretty good diet. I am over weight on the scale by height, but
pack on a lot of muscle and am a bit of an exercise buff. My idea of a good day off is to exercise 4-6 hours...retirement looms in 28 months, plans include a plethora of new brain stimulating activities lined up (new languages, new cultures)and growing 70% of our food, so hopefully that will do something. But...

Sigh, Alzheimers is a horrible thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness