Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 03:10 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times

Advertisements

I am mortified. I was with some friends last night celebrating a 14 year old's birthday at a restaurant. At the end of the dinner, I felt that grayness surround me, the voices getting muffled--I was even sitting down. All I remember after that is the Doctor holding my hand. I had fainted. My pulse was quite low for about 30 seconds. I had lost all color in my face. Doctor was part of the dinner party, we have know each other for over 40 years. I traumatized the 13-14 year olds there, three of them. I am sure it was pretty scary. I was fine after about 20 minutes.

I was mortified because I do not like being the center of attention. I am an introvert, even though that would surprise most people that know me.

This is the third time in 12 years this has happened to me. First time I had come home from work, drive home was fine, walking to my house was fine, then I opened the door and fainted, fell to the ground. Went to the ER, hours later--nothing wrong with me. Second time, last year. We finished dinner, cleared the table. Husband went upstairs. I was reading a book, suddenly the grayness surrounded me, I barely made it to the sofa and passed out. I had no energy to call him. I have no idea how long I was on the sofa-I am sure not very long.

I am 62, the first time this happened I was 50. I googled it, really no explanation to why this happens to people.

I am going to get a heart monitor. I don't think it will tell anything. Freaks me out--what if I am driving and it happens

Anyone else has this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 03:22 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I am mortified. I was with some friends last night celebrating a 14 year old's birthday at a restaurant. At the end of the dinner, I felt that grayness surround me, the voices getting muffled--I was even sitting down. All I remember after that is the Doctor holding my hand. I had fainted. My pulse was quite low for about 30 seconds. I had lost all color in my face. Doctor was part of the dinner party, we have know each other for over 40 years. I traumatized the 13-14 year olds there, three of them. I am sure it was pretty scary. I was fine after about 20 minutes.

I was mortified because I do not like being the center of attention. I am an introvert, even though that would surprise most people that know me.

This is the third time in 12 years this has happened to me. First time I had come home from work, drive home was fine, walking to my house was fine, then I opened the door and fainted, fell to the ground. Went to the ER, hours later--nothing wrong with me. Second time, last year. We finished dinner, cleared the table. Husband went upstairs. I was reading a book, suddenly the grayness surrounded me, I barely made it to the sofa and passed out. I had no energy to call him. I have no idea how long I was on the sofa-I am sure not very long.

I am 62, the first time this happened I was 50. I googled it, really no explanation to why this happens to people.

I am going to get a heart monitor. I don't think it will tell anything. Freaks me out--what if I am driving and it happens

Anyone else has this happen?
Has never happened to me and I'm 81 BUT a friend in her later yrs in her 80's or so would pass out and she was taken to ER by paramedics and her potassium supply was just about empty, the MD's had to do potassium IV's. She went thru this more than once. Ever since that time with her, I'm been on top of my potassium. Just a thought from here.. And do you have low blood pressure??

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-04-2019 at 03:46 PM..

Old 11-04-2019, 03:40 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
I doubt anyone faints "for no reason". There was a reason but it was either so transient or simply undetectable by the time you were checked over. Could have been something very simple:

https://www.healthline.com/health/fainting

Old 11-04-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
... Ever since that time with her, I'm been on top of my potassium. Just a thought from here.. And do you have low blood pressure??
Just had blood work done last week. Potassium levels are normal. No history of low blood pressure.

Old 11-04-2019, 03:49 PM

19,499 posts, read 9,528,287 times
My husband has had that happen to him a couple of times. It has scared me. I called 911 the 1st time. I'd guess that was more than 5 years ago. Several tests later and docs could find nothing wrong. He was released the following morning. He (DH) said it might have been 'cuz he didn't eat.

Then happened again about a week ago. He didn't really eat much of his dinner that night. His BP is in the normal range. He takes cholesterol meds but very low dose. He's 70 years young. Thanks for tip on potassium. He has a regular Dr's appt mid November.

Old 11-04-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I doubt anyone faints "for no reason". There was a reason but it was either so transient or simply undetectable by the time you were checked over. Could have been something very simple:

https://www.healthline.com/health/fainting
I read that article last night ^. I was just thinking a moment ago the Mom was telling me about her tummy tuck that she had a week ago. She was still very swollen, showed me her drainage lines. I wonder if that is what did it--although I had just eaten. When my sons would have something serious happening--tooth pulled, wisdom teeth, doctor explaining about my son's surgery--I learned early on to be sure I had eaten. There was a few times that I felt that graying out--those times I could just sit and it would pass. I wonder if just listening to the gory surgery that caused my emotional response. Emotional nerves hit.

Old 11-04-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
My husband has had that happen to him a couple of times. It has scared me. I called 911 the 1st time. I'd guess that was more than 5 years ago. Several tests later and docs could find nothing wrong. He was released the following morning. He (DH) said it might have been 'cuz he didn't eat.

Then happened again about a week ago. He didn't really eat much of his dinner that night. His BP is in the normal range. He takes cholesterol meds but very low dose. He's 70 years young. Thanks for tip on potassium. He has a regular Dr's appt mid November.
First time this happened I shared my story at work and there were always a few that knew someone that experience it. It is very weird. Thanks for sharing.

It is pretty scary. I will be driving in the right lane for awhile

Old 11-04-2019, 03:57 PM

962 posts, read 612,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I read that article last night ^. I was just thinking a moment ago the Mom was telling me about her tummy tuck that she had a week ago. She was still very swollen, showed me her drainage lines. I wonder if that is what did it--although I had just eaten. When my sons would have something serious happening--tooth pulled, wisdom teeth, doctor explaining about my son's surgery--I learned early on to be sure I had eaten. There was a few times that I felt that graying out--those times I could just sit and it would pass. I wonder if just listening to the gory surgery that caused my emotional response. Emotional nerves hit.
If I was out to dinner at a restaurant and someone was discussing their tummy tuck, and showing her drainage lines . . . . . I hope that I faint.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
If I was out to dinner at a restaurant and someone was discussing their tummy tuck, and showing her drainage lines . . . . . I hope that I faint.
Thanks for the comic relief!

She is now 48--I used to babysit her. She is like my sister. Her Dad was the doctor that took my pulse. They are like family. It just proves that I am very emotionally involved with this family--that is a good thing. They are incredibly worried about me right now. They are good to me. I would expect her to share her pain/story with me.

Last edited by GiGi603; 11-04-2019 at 04:18 PM..

Old 11-04-2019, 07:46 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Can also be a mini-stroke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness