Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 10:03 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,170,990 times

Advertisements

[quote=JOinGA;56620433]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You do realize that Netflix is not a reliable primary source but an entertainment venue, don't you?

Are you kidding me with this comment? Where do you watch your documentaries? Or do you watch any? Many of the documentaries shown on Netflix are the same ones shown in libraries, screened in theaters and viewed at conferences. What matters is who made the documentary, how it was funded and if its information is consistent with other sources. The fact that it was shown on Netflix or HBO or Amazon Prime, etc. has zero to do with its legitimacy or lack thereof. I recently watched a documentary on Netflix called Life in the Doghouse about a dog rescue organization. I adopted one of my dogs from that rescue the year before they made the documentary and I can verify that it is a true representation of that organization. ....but I guess you think because it was on Netflix it must be pumped up "entertainment?"

I do watch documentaries, even on Netflix. I also know that they are not universally accurate or unbiased, and when I detect an agenda (and especially if it supports one that I share), I factcheck it, just like factchecking claims on Facebook.

Way back when it was far more difficult to get things in print, never mind on film, I was carefully taught, "Don't believe everything you read," and that has stood me in good stead over the years. Especially in these days when everyone and their dog can make a documentary or make a claim and know that there are those that will swallow it hook, line and sinker without checking, especially if it tells them what they want to hear.

Having worked in rescue for some 15 years, I also know that if it involves animals, there are many, even those purportedly legitimate, who check their brains at the door and operate solely on emotion, not facts. That makes MY job in rescue harder, having to deal with that kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 10:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,170,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Eating meat is eating violence. Foregoing meat does not mean one has to load up on carbs and sugars. This is just a ploy to distract from the fact that people can be very healthy on a vegan diet and there are plenty of world-class vegan athletes to prove it.

SOME people can be very healthy on a vegan diet, as SOME people get sick as a dog on it (I'm one of them). SOME people can be very healthy on an almost exclusively meat diet, as SOME people get sick as a dog on it. The problem arises when SOME people insist that everyone can do well on their ideologically-based diet just because they can.

That's just as abusive as insisting that a cat, an obligate carnivore, eat a strictly vegetarian diet. Only it's abusive to humans (who are, themselves, something I've noted many who act this way forget, animals, as well).

Old 11-13-2019, 10:15 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
I am not judging those who choose a vegan diet as they really are thinking of two things: one animal cruelty and their own health. That being said, I also think it comes with risks that many vegans want to overlook and is not natural. Man has been eating meat for as long as we have had man and animals on the planet.

I will say, we have cut back on our actually meat consumption but that is more by not eating as much as we used to in our younger days and not based on anything else. we still eat plenty of cheese, yogurt, and other dairy products plus our share of protein from meat, and fish.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:12 AM

13,254 posts, read 8,327,695 times
My eldest brother at 50 went vegan. He is now 62. He is lean,athletic and keeps his diet pretty lean in his consumption. He eats to be nourished .. nothing more.
Our half sister raised her two kids from birth on vegan. They lack for nothing in their diets. It's mostly clean foods ( no artificial or manufactured infused fillers).
It has zero to do with animal compassion. Her husband loves to kill deer for the antler trophy. The meat he "donates" to his neighbors.
I'd miss my summer burgers on the grill..or the smoked salmon . But I love the taste of foods...
I sometimes think vegans have no taste buds or they are under developed. There hasn't been a tofu meal disguised that I could tolerate.
I'm sure though the smell of flesh burning isn't pleasant to a vegan though....so there is that...

Old 11-13-2019, 12:22 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,391,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I'm sure though the smell of flesh burning isn't pleasant to a vegan though....so there is that...
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I was having a sort of a debate with people over on the vegan forum about the fake meats that are widely available. My point was, if they were so repulsed by the idea of eating dead animals, why would they eat something that mimics animal flesh? I am talking about the Impossible and Beyond meats that are coming on the scene. The beyond meat even "bleeds" like real meat. More than one came back and said, they did not necessarily dislike the taste of meat but were concerned more for the welfare of the animals.

Here is the thread, most like meat just fine or at least the idea of eating it, so it seems from reading this. To me it seems hypocritical and I said so, they didn't agree and they gave their reasons.

//www.city-data.com/forum/veget...e-whopper.html

Old 11-13-2019, 02:37 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,182,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I was having a sort of a debate with people over on the vegan forum about the fake meats that are widely available. My point was, if they were so repulsed by the idea of eating dead animals, why would they eat something that mimics animal flesh? I am talking about the Impossible and Beyond meats that are coming on the scene. The beyond meat even "bleeds" like real meat. More than one came back and said, they did not necessarily dislike the taste of meat but were concerned more for the welfare of the animals.

Here is the thread, most like meat just fine or at least the idea of eating it, so it seems from reading this. To me it seems hypocritical and I said so, they didn't agree and they gave their reasons.

[url]//www.city-data.com/forum/vegetarian-vegan-food/3032975-burger-king-testing-impossible-whopper.html[/url]
That type of "food" gives me the willies. Aside from my once per year Tofurky roast, I have zero desire to consume meat analogs and their amalgam of questionable ingredients. I've never tried and Beyond Burger et al (gross) but I did try a Morningstar Giller once, when a thoughtful friend made one for me at her cookout. I ate it to be courteous, but it had such a weird chemically taste to it. But, I was raised on a diet similar to the Okinawa diet, so I never really developed the taste for meat-based "comfort foods". I'll take a steaming bowl of lentil soup, or kashi pilaf, or miso soup with seaweed and diced tofu, or a bulgar burger, please.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:59 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,865,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
At least mix it up, potato chips for breakfast, Cheetos for lunch and Doritos for dinner all with a can of Mountain Dew, the perfect vegan trifecta diet!
Cheetos? Doritos? They both have milk in them, so they are not vegan at all.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:01 PM

962 posts, read 606,539 times
I love eating animals

Old 11-13-2019, 03:45 PM

3,094 posts, read 2,027,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Eating meat is eating violence.
Who decided that killing plants is not violence? If it's about violence, then shouldn't you only eat the fruit and nuts that plants bear, and maybe plants that have already died a natural death?

Quote:
Foregoing meat does not mean one has to load up on carbs and sugars. This is just a ploy to distract from the fact that people can be very healthy on a vegan diet and there are plenty of world-class vegan athletes to prove it.
The human body is a remarkable thing and can go a very long time being undernourished.

Also, some of the athletes that are reported as vegan are actually on plant based diets which does not mean that they have eliminated all animal products. The media is just as guilty of conflating the two as some posters do.

The cheating factor should be considered too.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:06 PM

313 posts, read 261,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You do realize that Netflix is not a reliable primary source but an entertainment venue, don't you?

Or do you believe that the creatures in the cantina scene in the original Star Wars actually exist, as well?

I live surrounded by the pastures of one of the two largest cattle handling operations of its kind in the country. (Big enough that at one time, and possibly still, they had a contract with McDonald's to provide beef for them.) I see every single day how those cattle are raised - in fact, one of their pastures adjoins my drive and others are on two sides of our little ranch. I stop and talk to the steers whenever I drive or walk down the driveway. In other words, I KNOW how they are kept.

Let's just say that I should live so well, comparatively. And if I notice that one has a runny nose when I'm talking to them, I make a phone call and within minutes someone is there taking care of him.

So I'm stuck with a choice - believe the propaganda, or believe what's right in front of my own eyes. Gee, wonder which one I'd choose?

I could also get into my spiritual reasons for eating meat, as well, involving the arrogance of patting oneself on the back for stepping out of one's place in the Great Circle of life and thinking that makes one somehow superior not only to one's fellow humans but to the rest of creation itself including those animals one claims to love.

But this is far astray from the purpose of this thread. Basically, people should eat what their own body, not someone else's, tells them keeps them healthy, and not practice a diet that does otherwise. It really is that simple.

Texas Horse Lady, this is the part specifically I'm kind of waiting for you to "own up" about. Otherwise, untiI then I don't see your credibility:

"Which is not to say that there are not bad apples in the beef industry, just like there are bad apples among vegans - all arenas of human endeavor have them. But to insist that they are the majority due to some propaganda films and/or ideology? Not hardly."

I didn't say I don't like the beef industry as a whole. I said I don't like the FEEDLOT INDUSTRY for MY OWN ethical animal/environmental reasons. It seems like we may have 2 things in common; horses and eating meat. So why are you picking on me specifically and critical of my diet that includes grass fed, free range (not feedlot) animals? Do you or don't you, want me to eat meat? And why do you care how I dine? I have no agenda. Netflix has really cool documentaries, that for someone that may not get out in the world much, or even have internet, are at least a good starting point in educationing themselves about the world. I don't care to debate whether or not Netflix has a slant, that's not my point.
Instead of being so quick to be combative, next time thoroughly read my wording before you jump all over my case. I'm guzzling milk and chewing on gristle over here, so I kinda thought we were in the same corner, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness