U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:13 AM

13,323 posts, read 35,859,330 times

Advertisements

When I was younger & healthier & not twice the weight......I always had Low BP & low sugar. When I was 45 I was told I had arthritis in my spine within a year could not walk a block so I ended up in a scooter. Weight I gained has doubled & last summer I became borderline diebetic [from 60 now 120] now take pills & pb & cheltrol pills too.
I am now 53. My best advice loose the weight [if you are over weight] stop smoking...
oh I love red meat & chocolate so......cut it back if you can.

My son 34 had high chelestrol very healthy right weight etc...only thing he did was stop smoking!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 07:10 AM

13,138 posts, read 38,538,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
Do the omegas really help, and if so, how? I don't understand. Flaxseed oil has Omegas...right???
WannaBNorCal .....i'm going to give you a quick chemistry lesson and i promise to make this as simple as i can....So here's the deal with Flax vs Fish oils for these Omega 3's.

All fats or fatty acids are Carbon Units put together in chain links. For example Butter and alot of the Saturated Fats are 4 carbons long or longer usually up to 10 carbons (Short Chains). The Polyunsaturates are always longer and mostly 16 or 18 as is Flax. O.k. the best fat on earth for health that we know of so far is DHA and EPA which are 20 and 22 carbons long. Well the only food that has those super long carbons known as DHA and EPA are the Fish oils so when you eat Fatty Fish or take Fish Oils you get this beneficial component for Superhealth.

So how is Flax healthy??? Well when you consume Flax at 18 carbons and it needs to be converted in the body to DHA and EPA by an enzyme and that enzyme is called the Delta - 6 Desaturase. So when your fairly healthy and no medical problems etc...this works fine but when you are over 40'ish and/or obesity problems or insulin resistant etc... then this enzyme will not convert to the healthy DHA and EPA.

So if your young and healthy etc...then i'd say take Flax seeds or Flax oil but if your over weight and having medical issues then eating Salmon or Krill oil/Fish oils might be the better choice.

Hope that made sense to ya and now you can say you know a tad bit about Fatty Acids chemistry....lol....

6/3

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 04-22-2008 at 07:59 AM..

Old 04-22-2008, 04:05 PM

2,740 posts, read 8,364,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
try fish oil capsules too (omega 3) it lowered my brother's cholesterol from 210 to 153 over a 6 month period and yes stop smoking because of so many diseases associated with it.

I agree. I've been on fish oil capsules myself for several years, and have watched them have a positive effect on HDL/LDL. I take 3 of them a day. Any yes: stop smoking!

Bud

Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 PM

605 posts, read 759,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
My son 34 had high chelestrol very healthy right weight etc...only thing he did was stop smoking!
The smoking is going soon enough. So, did your son's cholesterol come down or go up because he quit smoking? I'm not understanding...

Old 04-22-2008, 11:17 PM

13,323 posts, read 35,859,330 times
Son stopped smoking cholesterol went down well within normal ranges....

Old 04-23-2008, 04:24 PM

Thumbs up Katie1

That is fantastic!!!!

6/3 Thanks!! I have been eating salmon 4x a week! Thanks for the chem lesson I think I bought a pretty good brand of Flaxseed Oil Capsules----now to start taking them---not sure if I need to start out slow?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
That is fantastic!!!!

6/3 Thanks!! I have been eating salmon 4x a week! Thanks for the chem lesson I think I bought a pretty good brand of Flaxseed Oil Capsules----now to start taking them---not sure if I need to start out slow?
Yeap i'd start out slow and go by the bottles directions. Take them with a meal like at Breakfast and at Dinner and you should be great .

6/3

Old 04-24-2008, 09:59 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 15,422,819 times
Cool thread!

I don't want to hijack this but I also don't think I should start a whole new thread just for me.

I have almost the same readings as WannaBNorCal.

Just had FASTING bloods about 2 wks. ago. Ended up I have 242 total cholesterol; 164 LDL; 48 HDL; Tryg 154; fasting glucose 101. Did not have the C-Reactive protein test.

All my other values are within normal range.

I quit smoking 5 1/2 mths ago (smoked for 40 yrs). I am overweight for my height. I'm 56 y.o.

My doctor wants me to take Lipitor but I don't want to.

What other recommendations (besides taking fish oil pills) would anyone here suggest? Oh and I do eat oatmeal about 4 out of 7 days/wk and salmon once or twice/wk.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post

I have almost the same readings as WannaBNorCal.

Just had FASTING bloods about 2 wks. ago. Ended up I have 242 total cholesterol; 164 LDL; 48 HDL; Tryg 154; fasting glucose 101. Did not have the C-Reactive protein test.

My doctor wants me to take Lipitor but I don't want to.

What other recommendations (besides taking fish oil pills) would anyone here suggest? Oh and I do eat oatmeal about 4 out of 7 days/wk and salmon once or twice/wk.
I'd stay with your eating better as eventually it will pull those numbers around vpcats. Go for more of the Soluble fibers like Oats, Psyllium, Black Beans, Peas and Apples at each meal as the Soluble's are what bind to blood fats and bring those numbers down.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:04 PM

The black beans are full of fiber too LOL they really are good. I had very few in a burrito yesterday and BAM 1/2 my intestines blew GOOD THING!
Dinner sounds good with the beans, peas, and a piece of salmon tonight....I see my doc in the a.m. and am going to ask about a glucose reading--any tests for Diabetes? That's next on my list.
vpcats - sure chime in - it's all good---have you had any complications while you were smoking---what about since you have quit? That's my next goal here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness