U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:36 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 15,401,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
The black beans are full of fiber too LOL they really are good. I had very few in a burrito yesterday and BAM 1/2 my intestines blew GOOD THING!
Dinner sounds good with the beans, peas, and a piece of salmon tonight....I see my doc in the a.m. and am going to ask about a glucose reading--any tests for Diabetes? That's next on my list.
vpcats - sure chime in - it's all good---have you had any complications while you were smoking---what about since you have quit? That's my next goal here....
Nope no complications while smoking or off but I'm not sure what you mean by complications.

I hadn't had a full fasting blood in a couple of years and I quit smoking 5 1/2 mths ago and I had my bloods done 2 weeks ago so I really don't know if I am better or worse off cigarettes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 07:46 PM

3,897 posts, read 1,164,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Cool thread!

I don't want to hijack this but I also don't think I should start a whole new thread just for me.

I have almost the same readings as WannaBNorCal.

Just had FASTING bloods about 2 wks. ago. Ended up I have 242 total cholesterol; 164 LDL; 48 HDL; Tryg 154; fasting glucose 101. Did not have the C-Reactive protein test.

All my other values are within normal range.

I quit smoking 5 1/2 mths ago (smoked for 40 yrs). I am overweight for my height. I'm 56 y.o.

My doctor wants me to take Lipitor but I don't want to.

What other recommendations (besides taking fish oil pills) would anyone here suggest? Oh and I do eat oatmeal about 4 out of 7 days/wk and salmon once or twice/wk.
Hey vp.....I finally gave in and started on Lipitor yesterday!! I have resisted taking anything for over two years, and no matter what I do, my numbers don't get any better. (I really don't like taking it because the side effect is sore muscles and with fibromyalgia I already hurt enough...LOL)

My numbers are very similar to yours......Total Cholesterol - 249; Triglycerides - 71; LDL - 164 (However, my HDL is great - it's 71); The reason the doc said I need to start Lipitor is because despite the following things, my numbers aren't changing:

1) I don't need to lose weight .... I have always eaten a healthy diet and my weight is just where it should be.
2) I have been eating oatmeal for breakfast every day for over two years
3) I eat a high fiber diet -plenty of fruit, fish and very little red meat
4) I work out every day
5) I have never smoked
6) I take a multi-vitamin, fish oil, coq10, vit. D, baby aspirin every day

Despite all of this, my cholesterol ratio is still not good! And the biggie is that my mom had her first heart attack when she was 42. I am 53.

So, the only thing left for me to do is to try Lipitor!!! I'll let you know if it works. The doc is going to do another blood test in six weeks to see if it is working!! Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!!! And good luck to you too!!

Old 06-07-2008, 08:10 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 15,401,471 times
Hi Bebette.

I filled a Lipitor prescription last June. It had refills for a year. I still have that first bottle. Have never taken it and now it's already expired. I kept saying that I was going to do it through diet but I'm noticing that my diet gets worse every day. I am eating way too much and I eat all the wrong things, plus some of the right things, but minimally.

I'm even afraid to call the doctor to ask him to call in a new prescription but I'm gonna have to do it.

I've been taking these hormones now for a little over a month and need to take them for 3 before deciding if I need a hysterectomy or not. I think they are making me hungrier because I have gained more weight since I started them so I better start the Lipitor because my numbers can only be worse now. I'm just afraid of what side effects it may have on me but my doctor thinks I'll be fine and not so fine if I don't take it.

Your triglycerides are great and your HDL too. You must have some of the genetic issues.

Good luck to you and YES, let me know how it goes!

Old 06-07-2008, 10:15 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,490,560 times
A couple of years ago my Doc suggested I take red yeast rice capsules, since I had high cholesterol, and high LDL, and low HDL...he said that some people react to lipitor, but that red yeast rice was gentler but related chemically to the statin drugs. I've been taking them, and the results have been fantastic. They're cheap, and available at health food stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness