Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:12 PM

605 posts, read 866,673 times

Advertisements

My mother had a significant heart attack in Dec., she is 68. I have been getting my heart checked regularly and have had these results come up:

Total Cholesterol=245 and my
C-Reactive protein=.31 (is that higher than 0.0-0.7, the 'range')
This scares me:
LIPOPROTEIN ASSO PHOSPHOLIPASE=345 (Range (85-245)
LDL=174 (Range=<100)
HDL was ok.

Can someone come along and tell me if I need to be really concerned, as I have looked these up am going to follow a low cholewsterol diet and I start a smoking cessation 8 week class on Monday night Praise god!
Anything else I need to be aware of, I already have palpitations and severe anxiety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 07:30 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,645,798 times
This may help and it's free:
Meditation Techniques For Smoking Cessation (http://www.fhu.com/meditation-techniques-for-smoking-cessation.html - broken link)

Old 04-20-2008, 04:57 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
try fish oil capsules too (omega 3) it lowered my brother's cholesterol from 210 to 153 over a 6 month period and yes stop smoking because of so many diseases associated with it.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:25 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
My mother had a significant heart attack in Dec., she is 68. I have been getting my heart checked regularly and have had these results come up:

Total Cholesterol=245 and my
C-Reactive protein=.31 (is that higher than 0.0-0.7, the 'range')
This scares me:
LIPOPROTEIN ASSO PHOSPHOLIPASE=345 (Range (85-245)
LDL=174 (Range=<100)
HDL was ok.

Can someone come along and tell me if I need to be really concerned, as I have looked these up am going to follow a low cholewsterol diet and I start a smoking cessation 8 week class on Monday night Praise god!
Anything else I need to be aware of, I already have palpitations and severe anxiety.
Firstly whats your typical diet?? Secondly forget TL Cholesterol but you said the HDL is o.k. well what is that number and also a high HDL will overide a high LDL so whats the number?? Thirdly whats the Triglyceride number as that's the actual blood fat in the blood stream. Any stomach area fat or visceral fat as this has a strong influence on that.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:40 PM

MiamiRob- thanks, I bought Flaxseed oil today--fish oil caps gave me fish burps

I don't eat much, lately, it's been cooked spinach, beans, kiwi, raspberries, cereal.
The ZERO exercise is my problem, get out and go!
HDL was 47.3. what do you mean high overrides hig? I do have stomach fat but not much, I have lost about 40 pounds in the last 2 years due to an exercise "phase" and just eating less. I do not eat fried foods but have increased red meat over the last few months.
Triglycerides were 110, how is those?

Old 04-20-2008, 10:45 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Yes do work on getting it under control...naturally! But dont panic. I have had the same reading all my life but until it was discovered that I had other medical problems Doctors were not worried....so calm down quit smoking & work naturally on the cholesterol!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:37 AM

I agree with what Katie just stated as you'll be fine at this. Your diet doesn't look bad so i think your on the right path and maybe a few pointers .....One of the best foods on earth for lowering TL Cholesterol and LDL is Oatmeal so see if you can incorporate more of it into your meals. I always have it and sometimes for for lunch and dinner as i add Whey protein powder (Dutch chocolate flavor) and a tbsp of Olive Oil so i have all 3 macronutrients in a meal that gives me energy for work and exercise.

Your Triglycerides at 110 are very good and HDL at 47 is about right so throw in some exercise if you can as that's a powerful HDL booster and the higher the HDL then it will overide any high LDL.

Your C-Reactive protein is high and that measures the inflammation in the body and arteries so whys it high?? Hmm...when you had the blood test did you just get over the Flu or had a Cold or Allergies or had a hard workout etc,,,as these can give a false reading on the blood test. If not then watch your simple carbs and fruit intake and try to stick with low glycemic carbs (beans and oats etc..) as this will keep your insulin in check as high insulin responses can raise inflammation and C-Reactive protein. I wish they did a Diabete's fasting blood test on ya to see the numbers.

Anyway WannaBNorCal what i've learned in my life as a bodybuilder/wieghtlifer since 1985 and experimemnted with dang near every type of diet from Vegan to Atkins is i eat like the way ''Mom'' used to cook for us back in the 70's when we Kids before all this processed food came out in the 80's and the present and that is just have some protein and good carbohydrates and a good fat with every meal and throw in some exercise and a good multi vitamin and you'll do real well.

6/3

Old 04-21-2008, 01:32 PM

Katie - can I ask what other medicalproblems you found out you had? I ask because these markers are of inflammation, and I'm not sure where the inflammation is coming from. Yes, Stress seems to be the culprit here, and I need to chill. I did have oatmeal two days this past week, I can start eating evryday for breakfast, break open a flaxseed capsule? Would that help? Smoking cessation class starts tonight.
6/3 - I love black beans-good fiber too. I am doing a fasting Diabetes lab test when i see my doc next week, as well as mny thyroid - agaion - and sed rate, metabolic panel, and whatever she can do to help find the inflammation, right now I feel it in my back and gut bad, but am doing what I need to to find the solution and cause. WIsh you were closer 6/3--I'd pay you to be my personal trainer I don't believe in dieting and just try my best to reach for the natural healthy foods, no fast food, and I need to start taking my vitamins. Very soon, I'm going tosay, "this is the day, the first day of the rest of my life to start living healthy".....thanks again

Old 04-21-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
6/3 - I love black beans-good fiber too. I am doing a fasting Diabetes lab test when i see my doc next week, as well as mny thyroid - agaion - and sed rate, metabolic panel, and whatever she can do to help find the inflammation, right now I feel it in my back and gut bad, but am doing what I need to to find the solution and cause. WIsh you were closer 6/3--I'd pay you to be my personal trainer I don't believe in dieting and just try my best to reach for the natural healthy foods, no fast food, and I need to start taking my vitamins. Very soon, I'm going tosay, "this is the day, the first day of the rest of my life to start living healthy".....thanks again
Any chance that there is an YMCA as that's where i got started as they are great at helping people start out. Also i really like the Lap Swimming you can do for exercise there.

Also a good multi vitamin to take is ''Alive'' by Nature's Way as it's sold at the Grocery Store and usually cost me about $19.95 for 200 caplets. It has every Vitamin/Mineral and Enzymes and Probiotics and Green Super Foods in it as it's a good deal.

And don't worry about eating bad sometimes as sometimes i will slip up too as we are all human.The last time i was at the store i bought some Oatmeal cookies and wound up eating the who container as i should have known better and it made me sick so live and learn but working out really helps keep me on track and also getting outside and recreating also does wonders...

6/3

Old 04-21-2008, 10:16 PM

Do the omegas really help, and if so, how? I don't understand. Flaxseed oil has Omegas...right???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness