U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 05:45 AM

4,368 posts, read 2,714,869 times

Advertisements

Excessive humidity does not make you sick, unless like Northrick said, there is something in your forced air system that you're reacting to (if you have forced air)

I get headaches and a bloody nose from dryness caused by low humidity in winter (and too much AC in summer). I may feel miserable for an hour or two, but I'm not sick.

I also drink a good amount of fluids daily and rarely get up to pee. I had started drinking an electrolyte drink over the summer (like NUUN) and found I was peeing 2-3 hours after going to bed, so I stopped drinking it throughout my evening. But my body seems to have gotten used to it as I'm not having the same issue any more.

I agree with the others that you should look into reducing the amount of times you get up. Do you take any supplements or food that could be considered a diuretic? Soda, chocolate?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 05:49 AM

6,234 posts, read 2,756,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Excessive humidity does not make you sick, unless like Northrick said, there is something in your forced air system that you're reacting to (if you have forced air)

I get headaches and a bloody nose from dryness caused by low humidity in winter (and too much AC in summer). I may feel miserable for an hour or two, but I'm not sick.

I also drink a good amount of fluids daily and rarely get up to pee. I had started drinking an electrolyte drink over the summer (like NUUN) and found I was peeing 2-3 hours after going to bed, so I stopped drinking it throughout my evening. But my body seems to have gotten used to it as I'm not having the same issue any more.

I agree with the others that you should look into reducing the amount of times you get up. Do you take any supplements or food that could be considered a diuretic? Soda, chocolate?
Excessive humidity can absolutely make you sick if you are allergic to dust and mold. Dust mites thrive in humidity over 50% and mold starts to grow. If you have allergies, this can eventually cause sinusitis/sinus infection. With humidity below 30%, dust becomes stirred up and people with dust allergy also have more problems. People with a dust allergy (I have a bad allergy, so I know) should aim to keep humidity between 30-50% at all times.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:02 AM

4,368 posts, read 2,714,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Excessive humidity can absolutely make you sick if you are allergic to dust and mold. Dust mites thrive in humidity over 50% and mold starts to grow. If you have allergies, this can eventually cause sinusitis/sinus infection. With humidity below 30%, dust becomes stirred up and people with dust allergy also have more problems. People with a dust allergy (I have a bad allergy, so I know) should aim to keep humidity between 30-50% at all times.

I would say that's a reaction to mold and dust mites then. I guess it's splitting hairs. And I do have allergies to mold and dust mites myself - and lots of other things! But I still prefer high humidity to low - I'm lucky if I can keep my house at 20% in our winters. Summer is a whole other issue.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:28 AM

10,491 posts, read 3,931,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
That has been that way for more years than I can remember.

I can't imagine something could be done about it short of surgery as it's literally been that way every night for over a decade.

An uninterrupted night of sleep would obviously solve all of the problems, but I'm not sure if that's realistic.
You're a guy, right? Most men develop prostate issues as they get older. There ARE supplements that MIGHT help...saw palmetto comes to mind.

I don't know...maybe it'd be helpful to try and go to bed a little later? Maybe try it on the weekend, so as not to cause work problems.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:34 AM

8,912 posts, read 12,812,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Do you have a thermometer/humidity meter in your room? That might give you some hint. A lot of people over humidify/overheat their bedroom and that can make it uncomfortable. I don’t change the clothes I wear to bed because then I end up way too hot.

I used to wake up many times at night to pee and I think it was my bed+mattress. It was just old and saggy and causing back/neck pain. It had nothing to do with my bladder at all. Now that I have a better bed, I usually go once a night unless I drink too much before bed or am anxious/sick.
Last night again I woke up after the 2nd time to pee and could not go back to sleep.

I did go to sleep earlier than usual, so after a COUPLE of hours of tossing, I was able to snag an extra hour of sleep. So, I'm not great, but better than I would have been without that extra hour.

The thermostat was set incorrectly so I had turn down the heat in the middle of the night. It does seem that it is a bit easier to sleep when the temperature is colder.

I used to dealing with random nights of sleep deprivation, but if it gets to be a regular thing, I don't know what to do. That will be a nightmare.

Will look into all solutions.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
You're a guy, right? Most men develop prostate issues as they get older. There ARE supplements that MIGHT help...saw palmetto comes to mind.

I don't know...maybe it'd be helpful to try and go to bed a little later? Maybe try it on the weekend, so as not to cause work problems.
Yes, I'm a guy.

44 year old male.

Any recs for medicines OTC or prescription that effectively treat nocturia are welcome.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:28 AM

5,388 posts, read 3,608,223 times
I sleep like a baby, even if I get up 1-2 times a night, I keep the lights off and go right back to sleep.

I go through hot/cold spells, I do better if it's chilly, I may toss my blankets off now and then through the night. My bed is comfortable, I have a topper with a comforter on top, otherwise it gets too hot. I use those supersoft blankets and in winter even cover my pillows with them.

I don't sit in bed and watch tv or read, just sleep. This is probably unusual, but I always have some sort of noise, usually an audiobook running on my phone all night. I listen to it for about two minutes and fall right asleep. I keep the phone face down so I'm not bothered by the light.

I've heard that magnesium could help sleep, when I've taken it I also had lots of dreams. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2019, 10:03 AM

2,213 posts, read 1,096,003 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm a guy.

44 year old male.

Any recs for medicines OTC or prescription that effectively treat nocturia are welcome.

Yes, if there is a medical cause, but you haven't identified a medical cause.

If it's lifestyle factors, those can be changed and/or managed.

Waking up twice in 7 hours over the last 10 years already is a nightmare. Especially at age 44. So it has been going on since age 34? Have you never consulted a doctor about this?

Old 11-15-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Yes, if there is a medical cause, but you haven't identified a medical cause.

If it's lifestyle factors, those can be changed and/or managed.

Waking up twice in 7 hours over the last 10 years already is a nightmare. Especially at age 44. So it has been going on since age 34? Have you never consulted a doctor about this?
Nothing too crazy.

I don't drink alcohol that often, and don't even drink coffee on the weekdays.

I did used to drink alcohol more often and that may be the cause.

My sister is a doctor and told me it was relatively normal, and that was many years ago.

It's worth seeing a doctor I suppose.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:06 PM

28,189 posts, read 10,906,403 times
Quote:
Last night again I woke up after the 2nd time to pee and could not go back to sleep.

I did go to sleep earlier than usual, so after a COUPLE of hours of tossing, I was able to snag an extra hour of sleep. So, I'm not great, but better than I would have been without that extra hour.

The thermostat was set incorrectly so I had turn down the heat in the middle of the night. It does seem that it is a bit easier to sleep when the temperature is colder.

I used to dealing with random nights of sleep deprivation, but if it gets to be a regular thing, I don't know what to do. That will be a nightmare.

Will look into all solutions.
I hope you saw my solutions to this issue in #7 above, L Tryptophan and B6. I wake up more than 2times nightly and I'm 81 and these 2 additions put me right back to a good long deep sleep.

How many around here can say they sleep a good 10 hrs of restorative sleep?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or