Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 01:08 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,941,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Nothing too crazy.

I don't drink alcohol that often, and don't even drink coffee on the weekdays.

I did used to drink alcohol more often and that may be the cause.

My sister is a doctor and told me it was relatively normal, and that was many years ago.

It's worth seeing a doctor I suppose.

I'd bet dollars to donuts you have an enlarged prostate. It is VERY typical in men, and that explains the waking up.

Also, is your bedroom upstairs? Hot air rises, so it might be that your room is too hot to go back to sleep comfortably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 02:01 PM

22,905 posts, read 18,196,061 times
Quote:
It's worth seeing a doctor I suppose.
Look at it this way. A doctor has access to diagnostics (lab work, imagery, physical exam) that can probably help rule out what's NOT going on, and direct you toward what MIGHT be going on a bit quicker. Or, you can fumble around in the dark (yes, that was deliberate) speculating and keeping yourself up nights. If you don't like the advice the doctor suggests nothing is forcing you to follow it.

Old 11-15-2019, 02:12 PM

12,101 posts, read 16,992,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I hope you saw my solutions to this issue in #7 above, L Tryptophan and B6. I wake up more than 2times nightly and I'm 81 and these 2 additions put me right back to a good long deep sleep.

How many around here can say they sleep a good 10 hrs of restorative sleep?
Yes I did.

I already have ambien but that is for specific rooted insomnia.

For instance, if I have an important meeting at work, or its the first day of a big vacation, sometimes I will have trouble GETTING to sleep.

But that's different from going BACK to sleep.

But I will look into it.

What a mess huh?

Old 11-15-2019, 02:28 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,577,414 times
Quote:
Yes I did.

I already have ambien but that is for specific rooted insomnia.

For instance, if I have an important meeting at work, or its the first day of a big vacation, sometimes I will have trouble GETTING to sleep.

But that's different from going BACK to sleep.

But I will look into it.

What a mess huh?
https://www.drugdangers.com/ambien/side-effects/

I hope you find healthy solutions to your sleep. Even working with some "calmers" during your day hours.

Inositol
Gaba
L Theanine

Do meditation during the day, it's amazing stuff. Easy to pop pills that can do harm.

Old 11-15-2019, 02:39 PM

10,181 posts, read 6,236,818 times
I am 71. Never wake up to pee at night since I was pregnant 35 years ago. My same age husband wakes up a couple of times a night to pee. Maybe this is a male health realated condition?

I used to wake up at night when we lived in Florida and couldn't go back to sleep. I think that might have been a heat issue even with central air which took out the humidity as well. Only time I slept good in Florida was when outside temps got into the 50's and I opened my windows at night.

Since we moved back up North, I keep my heat on at 60 degrees and sleep like a baby.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:04 PM

14,827 posts, read 11,967,559 times
Quote:
I hope you saw my solutions to this issue in #7 above, L Tryptophan and B6. I wake up more than 2times nightly and I'm 81 and these 2 additions put me right back to a good long deep sleep.

How many around here can say they sleep a good 10 hrs of restorative sleep?
I'd say I get 7-8 hours of restorative sleep most nights. I don't sleep 10 hours a night, I don't need that much and don't care to waste what's left of my life with excess sleep. I don't take "supps" for sleeping, either, other than a small amount of melatonin for good measure. I do have several blood pressure/cardiac arrthymia control drugs that have dosages at bedtime, those do a pretty good job of making me sleepy. Can't say I'd recommend those as sleep aids if you don't need them for other issues, but I do. I might wake up once to go to the john, but most of the time I go right back to sleep.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I am 71. Never wake up to pee at night since I was pregnant 35 years ago. My same age husband wakes up a couple of times a night to pee. Maybe this is a male health realated condition?

I used to wake up at night when we lived in Florida and couldn't go back to sleep. I think that might have been a heat issue even with central air which took out the humidity as well. Only time I slept good in Florida was when outside temps got into the 50's and I opened my windows at night.

Since we moved back up North, I keep my heat on at 60 degrees and sleep like a baby.
It may be prostate issues, or possibly one of your husband's cardiac meds includes a diuretic?

I sleep better when it's cooler too, but the AC keeps the temps and humidity well controlled in the house, and we have ceiling fans so I don't have a problem even in the summer.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
https://www.drugdangers.com/ambien/side-effects/

I hope you find healthy solutions to your sleep. Even working with some "calmers" during your day hours.

Inositol
Gaba
L Theanine

Do meditation during the day, it's amazing stuff. Easy to pop pills that can do harm.
Guess it's just as easy to pop "supps", from what you recommend in all your posts.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:15 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,583,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'd say I get 7-8 hours of restorative sleep most nights. I don't sleep 10 hours a night, I don't need that much and don't care to waste what's left of my life with excess sleep. I don't take "supps" for sleeping, either, other than a small amount of melatonin for good measure. I do have several blood pressure/cardiac arrthymia control drugs that have dosages at bedtime, those do a pretty good job of making me sleepy. Can't say I'd recommend those as sleep aids if you don't need them for other issues, but I do. I might wake up once to go to the john, but most of the time I go right back to sleep.
10 hours is not even considered healthy for the majority of people. 7-9 hours is considered normal, while more than that on a regular basis is generally associated with higher mortality rates. I do not take supplements and usually do fine with around 7 hours a night. If I have difficulty, it is usually due to anxiety or eating too late.

Old 11-19-2019, 02:09 PM

10,998 posts, read 6,538,661 times
Cooler rooms are considered "best" for sleeping. I'd have mine at 60 or 65 but to save electricity, at night a/c is set at 70, with a ceiling fan AND floor fan on me (partly for white noise). That way I can have my comforter. Split unit a/c.

I used to wake up then not be able to fall asleep again. But 2 things helped---switched from alcohol to MJ edibles and getting a lighted Kindle to read in bed---avoids "monkey mind". After awhile I was "trained" to get sleepy from reading.

Often I sleep through the night at least 8 hours, or if I have to pee, I go right back to sleep--don't turn any lights on, just a muted night-light, preferably red light.

DH is the same and we're both 64, retired now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness