U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 07:33 AM

8,912 posts, read 12,812,408 times

Advertisements

I've having trouble falling back asleep at night and wondered if anybody else has any suggestions. Thanks in advance for reading..

Typically on workdays, I go to sleep around the same time, and I have no problems passing out and get my full 7 hours and I need it because I need to do my job.

Typically I wake up twice to pee, which is normal, and then I'm able to go back to sleep each time, so ~ 3 cycles. But I usually have no problem falling back asleep each time.

About a month ago, we started turning the heat on. I woke up after the 2nd cycle with my sinuses clogged and couldn't go back to sleep, so started using a humidifier. It helped a little. One night it poured, and there was so much humidity in the room, I was sick for a week.

So, now it's freezing and the heat is really on. The dry nose problem went away, but now I'm waking up after the 2nd cycle and I cannot go back to sleep. I've tried adjusting the temperature both cold and hot, and its still difficult to go back to sleep.

Anyone else having/have this problem. I have all these little sleep problems and it's a little maddening. I mean, if the body needs sleep to operate well, why can't we just SLEEP!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 08:15 AM

2,213 posts, read 1,095,456 times
Waking up more than once to pee could mean that you have an overactive bladder. Have you looked into ways to reduce it? It could be caused by what you drink, meds/supplements, or an underlying medical condition. It would be better to try for longer uninterrupted sleep. https://www.healthline.com/health/overactive-bladder/overactive-bladder-night

Old 11-14-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Waking up more than once to pee could mean that you have an overactive bladder. Have you looked into ways to reduce it? It could be caused by what you drink, meds/supplements, or an underlying medical condition. It would be better to try for longer uninterrupted sleep. https://www.healthline.com/health/overactive-bladder/overactive-bladder-night
That has been that way for more years than I can remember.

I can't imagine something could be done about it short of surgery as it's literally been that way every night for over a decade.

An uninterrupted night of sleep would obviously solve all of the problems, but I'm not sure if that's realistic.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:41 AM

2,213 posts, read 1,095,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
That has been that way for more years than I can remember.

I can't imagine something could be done about it short of surgery as it's literally been that way every night for over a decade.

An uninterrupted night of sleep would obviously solve all of the problems, but I'm not sure if that's realistic.

Waking up twice to pee at night has become your normal, but it's not normal. The link I posted can help you begin to determine if there are changes you can make to fix it. Check additional sources. If you can't fix it, then consider seeing a doctor for a medical cause. There is no need to see a doctor or think of surgery until you have eliminated all the other possibilities.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Waking up twice to pee at night has become your normal, but it's not normal. The link I posted can help you begin to determine if there are changes you can make to fix it. Check additional sources. If you can't fix it, then consider seeing a doctor for a medical cause. There is no need to see a doctor or think of surgery until you have eliminated all the other possibilities.
I have tried several of those things over the years.

I do think if the problem was more sporadic, like get up to pee twice three times a week, then I'd try and use diet, fluid intake, weight to regulate it.

But if every night for a decade, you're correct in calling it a new normal.

However, I will look into it again. No harm, thank you for the link, I do appreciate.

Right now I just hope I will acclimate to the heating system and start to sleep better.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:00 AM

6,232 posts, read 2,753,179 times
Quote:
I have tried several of those things over the years.

I do think if the problem was more sporadic, like get up to pee twice three times a week, then I'd try and use diet, fluid intake, weight to regulate it.

But if every night for a decade, you're correct in calling it a new normal.

However, I will look into it again. No harm, thank you for the link, I do appreciate.

Right now I just hope I will acclimate to the heating system and start to sleep better.
Do you have a thermometer/humidity meter in your room? That might give you some hint. A lot of people over humidify/overheat their bedroom and that can make it uncomfortable. I don’t change the clothes I wear to bed because then I end up way too hot.

I used to wake up many times at night to pee and I think it was my bed+mattress. It was just old and saggy and causing back/neck pain. It had nothing to do with my bladder at all. Now that I have a better bed, I usually go once a night unless I drink too much before bed or am anxious/sick.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:01 AM

28,189 posts, read 10,902,238 times
OP: What works for me after those middle of night wake up and can't get back to sleep. A friend put me on to 500mg Tryptophan and 50mg B6 (P5P form) and I take these 2 about 30-45 minutes before I hit the pillow. After every bathroom trip, I get back to sleep due to this SOLUTION. I sleep a good 10+ hrs and do have bathroom trips. I use a couple other sleep supplements for the Whole Sleep Job.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:28 PM

11,778 posts, read 5,396,328 times
Quote:
I've having trouble falling back asleep at night and wondered if anybody else has any suggestions. Thanks in advance for reading..

Typically on workdays, I go to sleep around the same time, and I have no problems passing out and get my full 7 hours and I need it because I need to do my job.

Typically I wake up twice to pee, which is normal, and then I'm able to go back to sleep each time, so ~ 3 cycles. But I usually have no problem falling back asleep each time.

About a month ago, we started turning the heat on. I woke up after the 2nd cycle with my sinuses clogged and couldn't go back to sleep, so started using a humidifier. It helped a little. One night it poured, and there was so much humidity in the room, I was sick for a week.

So, now it's freezing and the heat is really on. The dry nose problem went away, but now I'm waking up after the 2nd cycle and I cannot go back to sleep. I've tried adjusting the temperature both cold and hot, and its still difficult to go back to sleep.

Anyone else having/have this problem. I have all these little sleep problems and it's a little maddening. I mean, if the body needs sleep to operate well, why can't we just SLEEP!
I find I sleep better/longer in a room that's much cooler than the rest of the house. If you can't adjust the temperature of your bedroom separately, close or cover the HVAC vent (which will also stop circulating dust that can irritate your sinuses), close baseboard register vents, or crack open a window. But no, you shouldn't be waking up that many times to pee unless you drank an unusually large amount of liquids that day.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:55 PM

28,189 posts, read 10,902,238 times
Quote:
More of us are drinking more and more water thru out the day and even night and hence the trips to bathroom.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:52 PM

661 posts, read 359,553 times
If you have a forced air heating system you might look at getting the ducts cleaned. There could be something in there you are reacting to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or