Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 04:24 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times

Advertisements

I haven’t had blood work in at least a decade,
age 61. Blood draws are quite unpleasant, make me nauseous.
I know my BP though and it’s good.
So, no doctors for me unless emergency or some concerning symptoms were to come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 04:38 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Another consideration for visiting a doctor to check that your health is good, and having a GP kind of "on retainer", if you will.

It's much easier to see a doctor when you really need one if you already have a doctor. If you're healthy and have no health issues it's likely you won't need to see the doctor often, maybe annually or even less than that. But you'd be able to see the doctor and get the help you need in the event you need to.
This. Consider that if you establish a healthy baseline/history with a GP they are more likely to pick up something starting to go off the rails. When it's most fixable. They'll have a better idea what is normal for you, what might need attention and what doesn't. Trying to determine your "normal" while you're presenting yourself sick isn't too effective.

I see a GP every couple of years for routine stuff; basic blood chemistry, monitoring the couple of health issues I already know exist, gynecological, GI, physical palpation exam, etc. Just like an annual dental cleaning/exam or checking for glaucoma (family history there). Kind of like routine scheduled maintenance on my car or my house. Wear parts wear out. Things age and break. I can either repair them, replace them, or ignore them. Unless I want my car to run. I don't hover around doctor's office doorways. I stay up to date, informed and stop worrying. My GPs pretty much hand me test results, act as a source for information. They don't demand that I do anything. They inform. When I've needed something more they are the portal to get that care a lot more quickly...right when time may be of the essence.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-17-2019 at 04:48 PM..

Old 11-17-2019, 04:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Good idea and especially if one has Good health insurance...otherwise expect a hefty charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Good points.

I disagree.

Sometimes a doctor needs to "list a problem" because some insurance companies will not pay for "wellness checks". I have had that happen a couple of times (for example when I thought that I had a UTI but I didn't).

Or, sometimes a person who hasn't been to a doctor in a while will have a bunch of suspicion things to check out. Heck, the OP hasn't seen a doctor in 20 plus years. The doctor may find nothing, but I wouldn't be surprised if the doctor finds something.
To both of you-under the ACA, insurance is required to pay for one well visit per year for free at the point of service. This is true regardless of the type of insurance-high deductible, etc. The only exceptions are those "grandfathered" policies. Vaccines are also free at the POS. I'd wage the OP needs at least a tetanus booster.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:58 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
So, no doctors for me unless emergency or some concerning symptoms were to come up.
Good for you Arktikos

I don't have a problem with blood draws but probably since menopause for me health stuff cropped up and I found myself having blood drawn once a year, I have the stack of reports for the last 15+yrs...some blood reports were helpful like Vit D and A1C and homocysteine but if I didn't need to check in with MD for a couple refills I would not go to doctors. She won't just refill without an appt to see me. And I get that.

I've made it my job and hobby to keep myself healthy with the world of alternatives.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-17-2019 at 05:07 PM..

Old 11-17-2019, 05:38 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

Many health problems have no symptoms.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:14 PM

17,535 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgarcso View Post
I'm 40 and I think I'm healthy. I go the gym 4/5 times a week, never smoked in my life, have a social drink every now and then. I try to have a good diet - I don't eat fried food, avoid dairy and pork meat and sugary drinks - but I'm not paranoid about it. I don't deny myself junk food once every few weeks.

I got all vaccines when I was young but that was it. I've never been to a doctor in my entire life after that. I've come down with the flu and food poisoning a couple of times but obviously treated those at home.

I was having dinner with friends the other day and someone mentioned something about blood pressure. I was amazed that everyone knew what their normal blood pressure is and a number of other indicators. I was standing there in the middle of the conversation with "???" written all over my face.

Is any of this unusual?

I almost died of a heart attack at 46. I was fine. My doc wanted a baseline stress test, the clogged arteries were discovered then. Stress test one day, angiogram the next and cut the next. I had zero symptoms

It's a good idea for you to go get a complete physical, NOW!

Old 11-17-2019, 08:18 PM

17,535 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
e fact that the doctor will 100% find something "wrong" with you.

That's what annual checkups do. They are to bring people into the medical industry for profit. Via more testing, prescription drugs or surgery. And followup after followup after followup visit.

Be prepared for that.

Not true.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:34 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Many health problems have no symptoms.
Such as?
Blood sugar and pressure can be checked at home.
Cologuard can also be done at home if so desired. Indeed, I have.
I’m not interested in tracking my cholesterol numbers.
My diet is good, cardiovascular is excellent and I would probably not take a statin
if advised to do so anyway.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:50 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
You can get your blood pressure taken at a pharmacy.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:45 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Go. My husband never had symptoms, refused to go to the doctor. I finally got him to go to the dentist. They discovered he has high blood pressure and wouldn’t work on him. So he went to the doctor.... he has Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. He’s lucky he didn’t drop dead from everything.

Go....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness