Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 10:15 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
It’s like you take having a high BP as some kind of personal insult. I don’t get it at all.
Where does that come from? If you are referring to me, I don't have high blood pressure, not at all. When I was in a specialized nursing facility to get an antibiotic IV 3x/day for a a knee replacement that went infected, I was sometimes refused tramadol because they had measured my blood pressure and it was a little low so they thought that tramadol would be risky on top of that. They said lets take your blood pressure again and if it comes up a little you can have the tramadol. I have monitored my blood pressure enough to know that it averages on the low side IF TAKEN PROPERLY.

Its not matter of personal insult. It is a matter of shoddy practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Exactly! The idea is not to find out your lowest possible BP as if you were in a coma but to find out what it reasonably is under reasonable circumstances, that is, what is "typical".

As for the OP, having an elevated BP after walking down a "long hallway" may not actually be elevated - it's probably his normal unless he is asleep whether he wished to know that or not.

No it is not my normal BP, not at all. I am awake when I take my blood pressure. Why did you put "long hallway" in quotes? Do you not believe it was quite long? Also, I was walking briskly swinging my arms and high-stepping as per PT instructions for knee replacement rehab.

Anything you read about the protocol for taking BP will state that you need to chill for a couple of minutes before the reading is taken. That did not happen so the reading was bogus.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:08 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
No it is not my normal BP, not at all. I am awake when I take my blood pressure. Why did you put "long hallway" in quotes? Do you not believe it was quite long? Also, I was walking briskly swinging my arms and high-stepping as per PT instructions for knee replacement rehab.

Anything you read about the protocol for taking BP will state that you need to chill for a couple of minutes before the reading is taken. That did not happen so the reading was bogus.
Sounds like all you want is validation that your hypertension is not based on some cardiac problem but rather bad doctoring. So, since that obviously is the objective,...
Oh, you are so right in your professional analysis of BP taking.
Continue using those free one-size-fits-all BP machine in the supermarket,
continue taking your BP while in a semi vegetative state,
continue avoiding any normal activity that may result in a normal life BP reading,
and and continue believing you're in great shape.

Like so many in similar denial, do you like roses or lilies?

Old 11-26-2019, 03:37 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post

Must you high step and swing your arms at all times? That was your mistake and is not normal walking and was not necessary and not prescribed to do every moment you're walking. You are exaggerating something to a degree that it is having an unintended impact and then saying 'gotcha' to your doctor which is silly.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:17 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Sounds like all you want is validation that your hypertension is not based on some cardiac problem but rather bad doctoring. So, since that obviously is the objective,...
Oh, you are so right in your professional analysis of BP taking.
Continue using those free one-size-fits-all BP machine in the supermarket,
continue taking your BP while in a semi vegetative state,
continue avoiding any normal activity that may result in a normal life BP reading,
and and continue believing you're in great shape.

I take my blood pressure at home regularly.

I also take it at specific times during the day: Upon awakening, at the end of the workday, after daily exercise, at the end of the day.

Over time, I've become aware of what my blood pressure states should be. Whether my home monitor gives me (presuming they're not wildly divergent) the same reading as the reading I'd get at my doctor is less important than the consistency of the readings I get over time and circumstances.

My measurements show that my blood pressure is highest at the end of the workday (although within normal range), but then drops to its lowest (actually below normal) after I've exercised and stays low the rest of the night.

My doctor: "Exercise more, then."

Old 11-26-2019, 10:53 AM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Takeaway on this:

1. You know the doctor's office does the BP cuff test the second you sit down in the room.
2. You know there's a hallway leading from the waiting room to the room where you see the doctor, and you have to walk down that.
3. You know that doctor office readings are often higher than at home, simply because they're a doctor's office, and not home.
4. You know that physical movement elevates blood pressure.
5. You know that it takes a minute or so after physically moving, for blood pressure to return to resting levels.

You choose to take that long hallway as an opportunity to physically move more extremely than a casual walk down a hallway, which will elevate blood pressure even higher than if you had simply walked down the hallway, even though physical therapy does not demand that EVERY step you take be done as intentional exercise.

You choose to go in there with the attitude that the people in the doctor's office doesn't know what they're doing, and that you know better than they are. That of course can elevate the BP because it's creating a stressful situation for you.

Every time someone here tries to help explain something to you, we discover there's another "piece to the story" that you didn't mention until that moment.

I'm thinking you are really WANTING to have reasons to be against the doctor, and so you're creating them for yourself.

Maybe if you just relaxed and strolled casually into the exam room, wore short sleeves to ensure a decent reading, requested a manual cuff reading, your BP reading would be closer to what you expect it to be.

No one is yanking your arm and tying you down to make sure that you don't resist that digital cuff. All doctors' offices have the manual ones, because sometimes the digital ones are broken, or the patient has a medical condition that makes it difficult or dangerous to use the digital ones. Use your voice, tell the nurse "manual BP reading please" and don't let her put the cuff attached to the digital reader on you. Easy peasy.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:15 PM

3,642 posts, read 1,596,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Takeaway on this:

1. You know the doctor's office does the BP cuff test the second you sit down in the room.
2. You know there's a hallway leading from the waiting room to the room where you see the doctor, and you have to walk down that.
3. You know that doctor office readings are often higher than at home, simply because they're a doctor's office, and not home.
5. You know that it takes a minute or so after physically moving, for blood pressure to return to resting levels.

You choose to take that long hallway as an opportunity to physically move more extremely than a casual walk down a hallway, which will elevate blood pressure even higher than if you had simply walked down the hallway, even though physical therapy does not demand that EVERY step you take be done as intentional exercise.

You choose to go in there with the attitude that the people in the doctor's office doesn't know what they're doing, and that you know better than they are. That of course can elevate the BP because it's creating a stressful situation for you.

Every time someone here tries to help explain something to you, we discover there's another "piece to the story" that you didn't mention until that moment.

I'm thinking you are really WANTING to have reasons to be against the doctor, and so you're creating them for yourself.

Maybe if you just relaxed and strolled casually into the exam room, wore short sleeves to ensure a decent reading, requested a manual cuff reading, your BP reading would be closer to what you expect it to be.

No one is yanking your arm and tying you down to make sure that you don't resist that digital cuff. All doctors' offices have the manual ones, because sometimes the digital ones are broken, or the patient has a medical condition that makes it difficult or dangerous to use the digital ones. Use your voice, tell the nurse "manual BP reading please" and don't let her put the cuff attached to the digital reader on you. Easy peasy.

Who can relax at a Dr's office?

Old 11-27-2019, 07:53 AM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Who can relax at a Dr's office?
Relaxed, as opposed to obsessively stressed. Comparatively speaking, as much as possible, more than usual.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Must you high step and swing your arms at all times? That was your mistake and is not normal walking and was not necessary and not prescribed to do every moment you're walking. You are exaggerating something to a degree that it is having an unintended impact and then saying 'gotcha' to your doctor which is silly.
Regardless of that, blood pressure is supposed to be taken after you are motionless for a few minutes.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Takeaway on this:

I did NOT know the first two things, although not giving time for blood pressure is an all-too-common practice in my experience. I never had been to that doctor before, nor met that nurse. The third I do not know because the third is not true IF I am give a minutes minutes to relax which is protocol for taking blood pressure properly.

I DO know #4 and #5 but was not given even that minute.

I guess I gave her too much credit that she would know to let me chill a few minutes, especially when I said something. In fact, I talked to the office manager about this and the next time I went in she had obviously been spoken to and said "I will take you to the room and be back in about ten minutes." Guess what? Normal blood pressure.

It was not a digital cuff. It was the type that gets pumped up.

I did not go in there wanting to be against the doctor. I had heard good things and was looking forward to a relationship with a new cardiologist. I have no interest whatsoever in an adversarial relationship with a doctor.

You make a great many assumptions to place the blame on me for what is actually poor medical practice and those assumptions are not correct. The nurse saw how I was walking. I do that as habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness