Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 07:47 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Regardless I’m a little skeptical about the success of it, or if it will actually become available.

How many times do we hear that a cure for cancer is just a few years away or that nuclear fusion will become a reality within a decade?
True, it may not pan out.

But hope springs eternal. Also, the more people who have fact-based reasons to think it's possible, the more likely it is to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 07:49 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
If the flu vaccine gives you the flu...
But it doesn't...so?

Old 12-02-2019, 08:14 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times
Lmao!!!!

Old 12-02-2019, 08:46 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Well, they give hepB vaccines to newborns. How likely is a newborn to to shooting dope with a hooker?
Guess you missed my post about the apple and oranges nature of the HIV virus vs. the hepatitis B virus, contagious-wise.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:13 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
How about the little kids who found syringes and needles in a neighborhood park in the next city over from here?

Or, police and fire having to put up with finding needles and syringes in the normal course of daily business.

Dumpster divers, my a$$
I was being facetious in regards to a topic which, at this point in time at least, is pretty theoretical. There may be a successful HIV vaccine down the road, and that will be the time to determine just who would benefit from it. But the time isn't here yet, and I 'd be surprised if it happened any time soon, so until it does we could speculate all day long about it.

I guess one would consider firemen and law enforcement officers in the high risk category for HIV exposure, to the extent they are exposed to direct contact with blood and other body fluids contaminated by HIV, including possible needle sticks from the stray needles, syringes you mention.

Those roving kids out there who incidentally find used needles and syringes in that next city over? I don't know how often this occurs, but if those kids aren't otherwise in a high risk category for exposure to HIV, I'd have to wonder at any insistence that these kids be vaccinated "just in case" they happen on some dirty needles. Guess the consideration would be on a case by case basis.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:36 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Well, they give hepB vaccines to newborns. How likely is a newborn to to shooting dope with a hooker?
Any blood exposure can transmit hepatitis B, and many who are chronic carriers do not know it. For half of the children who get it, the source is never determined. Of children who become infected near birth, about 90% will become chronic carriers. Between age one and five, 20% to 50% will fail to clear the virus. That means not only can they infect someone else, they are at risk to get liver cancer.

The vaccine is started at birth because it is safe to do so and will protect the child well before there is actual risk of exposure. Waiting until a person is older just increases the risk that infection will occur before the vaccine is given.

https://aasldpubs.onlinelibrary.wile...0.1002/cld.732

"All in all, a recent Centers for Disease Control and Prevention publication estimates the total prevalence of chronic HBV infection in the United States at 2.2 million, including noninstitutionalized US‐born persons, foreign‐born immigrants with existing HBV infection, and institutionalized individuals."

One of those 2.2 million could be a relative, friend, or neighbor who either does not know he has the virus or chooses not to disclose it. There is no way you can be certain your child will never be exposed to hep B.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:53 AM

530 posts, read 174,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

The vaccine is started at birth because it is safe to do so and will protect the child well before there is actual risk of exposure. Waiting until a person is older just increases the risk that infection will occur before the vaccine is given.
Vaccines sound great until I look up what's in them. I feel for health professionals; it's too bad there are no other alternatives.

Hep B (Engerix-B) aluminum hydroxide, yeast protein, sodium chloride, disodium phosphate dihydrate, sodium dihydrogen phosphate dihydrate

Hep B (Recombivax) formaldehyde, potassium aluminum sulfate, amorphous aluminum hydroxyphosphate sulfate, yeast protein

Hep B (Heplisav-B) yeast protein, yeast DNA, deoxycholate, phosphorothioate linked oligodeoxynucleotide, sodium phosphate, dibasic dodecahydrate, sodium chloride, monobasic dehydrate, polysorbate 80

Hep A/Hep B (Twinrix) MRC-5 human diploid cells, formalin, aluminum phosphate, aluminum hydroxide, amino acids, sodium chloride, phosphate buffer, polysorbate 20, neomycin sulfate, yeast protein, water

Vaccine Excipient Summary
Excipients Included in U.S. Vaccines, by Vaccine

Old 12-03-2019, 01:09 AM

530 posts, read 174,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It would be nice if vaccines could be discussed in a rational manner without the immediate godlike worshipping status attributed to them. Once that immediate VACCINES WILL SAVE THE WORLD HOW DARE YOU THINK OTHERWISE YOU IDIOT statement is made ... well .. you get what you get.
Yes it would be nice! After all this is a health and wellness forum. I wish there was a way to calmly talk about this topic like how they respectfully discuss the pros and cons of whether or not you should warm up your car engine on a cold morning in the automotive forum.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:36 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Some people just never get it Travelassie
And some people don't bother to read the thread and would rather insult other posters. Very productive.

Try reading post #13, which is what I was responding to.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:52 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
So just being born is an immediate risk for HepB? What exactly do you think the medical staff is doing to newborns in the nursery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness