Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2019, 06:33 PM

31 posts, read 17,888 times

Advertisements

I have tried to find an answer to this question on the Internet, but I never get a straight answer anywhere - all sites just say that "both fats are healthy", but I would like to know if there any specific reasons to choose one of them for different reasons.

I have always assumed that polyunsaturated fats are "a little bit of everything", whereas monounsaturated fats are more about one specific type of fats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 12:39 AM

530 posts, read 174,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Laurelindo* View Post
I have tried to find an answer to this question on the Internet, but I never get a straight answer anywhere - all sites just say that "both fats are healthy", but I would like to know if there any specific reasons to choose one of them for different reasons.

I have always assumed that polyunsaturated fats are "a little bit of everything", whereas monounsaturated fats are more about one specific type of fats.
This is a good article about it, with an emphasis on corn oil:

Quote:
"Certain plant foods quite obviously contain fat, such as olives and avocado. You can taste the fat and quite easily press it out of the plant. Other plants aren't so high in fat, like corn. To get the fat out of corn, you have to bathe it in a hexane bath and chemically extract the fat, then bleach and deodorize it, among other production steps.

It turns out that processing corn for fat can make it a bit rancid. This is because corn oil is high in PUFAs, which are easily oxidized due to their chemical structures containing multiple double bonds. After purchasing it, cooking with corn oil can make it even more rancid."
What the Evidence Really Says About PUFAs

Old 12-06-2019, 09:48 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
You should look at the sources than the type of fats. For example soybean, canola, and corn are not great because they are sourced locally here where Roundup weed killer and fertilizers are used and these are causing inflammation and other autoimmune diseases. People are gonna argue that Roundup has not affected them but it has. Since the weed killer was introduced, more Americans are developing allergies. In Europe where Roundup is banned, you don't hear people have nut or food allergies so much. It's nonexistent in places like Italy or France because of the stringent farm regulation forbids weedkillers and over food fortification.

The less the processing, the better the fats in general.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:52 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
It's not only the GMO/Glyphosate factor in Soy, Corn and Rapeseed (canola) but the industrial process that is used to make said oils. Extracting oils from seed is not easy, it takes very high heat and chemicals. Do not fall for the hype of them being healthy, no cholesterol etc. Even if you don't use these to cook, oils such as these, especially soybean oils are in many many processed foods. Bottled salad dressing is a good example. @OP, next time you are in that aisle in the supermarket, take a look at some of the labels to see what I am talking about. You will find it difficult to find a bottled salad dressing that does not contain soybean oil.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:53 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Muffin study, small sample, poly's better in treating metabolic syndrome. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5010036/

Poly's and Monos article-- https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...s-bad-and-good
Monos for heart health (Mediterranean Diet), but Polys good, too, lower triglycerides, maybe decrease RA symptoms, etc.

I read somewhere, but can't find it, that more monos are better for heart health, but I'm not absolutely certain, maybe due to above Mediterranean Diet has so many in it and stats revealing positive for heart health.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 12-06-2019 at 04:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness