Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 07:39 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,438,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Many studies have been performed on the effectiveness of fish oil to help with joint pain with RA and it has generally found to be well tolerated and effective. It seems to be equally effective with OA.
Yes, the fish oil really works very well. I had three steroid injections because the medications they gave me didn't do anything and the side effects looked scary when I read about them. The series of steroid injections worked, but it took three of them and then finally, a big reduction in pain. Then somehow I found out about fish out and bingo! The doctor said that was because my OA pain was from inflammation.

It's MUCH easier to pop a fish oil capsule every few days than to show up at a hospital for scary (scary if they make a mistake and hit the wrong spot--they warn you about that) steroid injections or potentially harmful prescription medications. A side effect of the fish oil is that my triglycerides are way down.

I'd take the prescription meds as a last resort though if nothing else worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 07:54 PM

22,572 posts, read 24,369,327 times
I have arthritis and nerve-damage all over my body.........I have tried a lot of things for these problems:

Glucosamine and chondroitin, they did nothing except put some sort of strange rash on my face.

Vitamin-C works great to stop the constant burning that my damaged nerves can bring.

Fish-oil or eating fatty-fish on a regular basis is probably the most effective thing I can take/eat to squash both the burning nerve-pain and make my creaky joints smooth and nearly pain free.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:02 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,176,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
I get bursitis occasionally. I find that taking 10,000 IU's of vitamin D3 daily over 3 to 5 days will knock it out. I've seen advice that says to take it for up to 10 days but no more to avoid toxic buildup in the liver. For arthritis, there are recommendations to take 2,000 IU's daily and perhaps as high as 4,000 IU's.

I also use hydrogen peroxide mouthwash to reduce the bacteria and reduce rheumatoid arthritis. If the RA is from autoimmunity, it won't do any good. There are warnings to limit H2O2 use since long-term use hurts tooth enamel.
RA is "by definition" an autoimmune disorder..

There is no mouthwash on Earth that will in any way shape or form impact RA or "reduce it"

Old 12-06-2019, 08:20 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,532,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post

seems people do though....millions of steroid injections into spines every year..none approved by the FDA though.
Steroid or cortisone injections (and also Synvisc gel type injections) have nothing to do with the joint supplements (pills) in pill form.

They are three very different things.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:23 PM

14,803 posts, read 11,951,796 times
I'm of the impression that it's a trial and error type thing, joint supplements may work for some people but not for others. I remember overhearing a doctor tell a patient who asked about chondroitin sulfate/ glucosamine supplements that it was worth a try, to see if it helped his joints. The doc told the guy that if he was planning to try the supplement, to take it long enough to see results before he decided it wasn't doing anything. He suggested that timeframe would be around 4-6 weeks.

I tried chondroitin sulfate/glucosamine long ago to see if it might help with the pain and maybe healing of a torn meniscus in my knee. I don't know if it was the supplement or not but the meniscus got better though it took a number of months.

IMO it's possible the placebo effect is at least partly responsible for the success in alleviating joint pain and issues for those people who say joint supplements help them. Who knows, but if the power of the mind is able to have that kind of effect on physical ailments, ( and why not?), I say more power to the Placebo Effect.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:52 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,532,392 times
Keeping bacteria at a low in the mouth by using mouthwash, brushing teeth frequently, using a WaterPik, and flossing reduces inflammation. Inflammation is one cause of arthritis and of heart disease.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:18 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,478,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
RA is "by definition" an autoimmune disorder..

There is no mouthwash on Earth that will in any way shape or form impact RA or "reduce it"
Bacteria will trigger the immune system. It doesn't have to be P-gingivitis. There are prescription antibiotics that can be used to reduce rheumatoid arthritis by killing off bacteria. You're thinking of RA as being all or nothing and that the immune system has gone haywire. By definition, it's a progressive condition so reducing triggers will reduce symptoms.

I've used chondroitin/glucosamine in the past and found it caused stomach pain. It works as well as ibuprofen which I was also using before.

Old 12-07-2019, 01:13 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,237,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
seems people do though....millions of steroid injections into spines every year..none approved by the FDA though.
Question: do regular, ordinary, run-of-the-mill doctors give these injections?

Old 12-07-2019, 01:14 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,237,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Keeping bacteria at a low in the mouth by using mouthwash, brushing teeth frequently, using a WaterPik, and flossing reduces inflammation. Inflammation is one cause of arthritis and of heart disease.
That is a good point.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:38 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,575,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Question: do regular, ordinary, run-of-the-mill doctors give these injections?
They are typically interventional pain physicians, neurosurgeons, or orthopedists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness