U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 07:45 AM

13,727 posts, read 14,089,026 times

Advertisements

if it starts at 5 or 6 in the morning, set your alarm for 4:30 or 5 and get up then instead. see if that makes a difference.

also check to see if it happens when you sleep in a different bed. or if it happens when you sleep on the couch or in a sleeping bag on a mat on the floor

when i have had severe itching, the thing that has helped best is running cold water. sit on the edge of the tub, turn on pure cold water and let it pour over your feet and ankles and calfs.

get the mildest blandest laundry detergent there is no scent no color no dye no extra added chemicals when you do your laundry, see if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 10:16 AM

32,900 posts, read 14,903,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It sounds like you have allergies. Benadryl and hydroxyzine work the best for itching, but the they last 4 hours. The itching will come back in the morning typically your antihistamine response turns off at night. You might want to try Zyrtec or Allegra as well. When I am super itchy, I use hydroxyzine or Benadryl on top of the longer acting antihistamines (one in the morning and one at night). I also find that lotions with AHA help a lot. You can try amlactin, eucerin intensive repair, or cerave sa.
I agree about CeraVe SA, it helps more than the hydrocortisone creams which can, over time result in thinning of skin. I went to a dermatologist for over two years with this and had every test in the book and like I said before I'm allergic to nickel, thiuram, methyl methacrylate, disperse yellow 3 and cobalt. I was referred to a rheumatologist and tested for autoimmune disorders, results were negative. The dermatologist had me taking four or five different anthihistamines, the combination made me feel sluggish and brain dead. They did a biopsy nothing there.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity after posting this I looked up cobalt as an allergen and found that if you are allergic to cobalt and take B12 it can cause an allergic skin reaction - I take B12 every day! I'm going to stop taking it and hope that maybe I've found the cause of this! https://www.annallergy.org/article/S...045-1/fulltext

Last edited by 2sleepy; 12-19-2019 at 10:28 AM..

Old 12-19-2019, 10:22 AM

27,306 posts, read 34,220,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
OP, you could be in an itch/scratch cycle. You've been scratching, which just makes it worse.

Itch-Scratch Cycle. Itch evokes the behavior of scratching which increases inflammation and causes excitation of nerve fibers, leading to more itching and scratching.

If so, you need to break the cycle. I find that taking a hot bath (no soap) kills the itch temporarily. Then you need to refrain from scratching. Repeat as necessary.
I agree with this.

But try Eucerin Calming Cream. It’s excellent.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:35 AM

24,350 posts, read 15,729,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have eczema and I itch like crazy at night. I was taking hydroxyzine (prescription drug related to benadryl) when I went to bed and it worked wonders but I read that antihistamine drugs cause alzheimers so I quit taking it. I've had extensive allergy testing and I'm only allergic to a few metals and red dye. About the only thing I do now is wear tight fitting jammies and keep my nails short but I still itch, I swear God hates me
I’ve taken antihistamines regularly for decades. I am 73, and do not have Alzheimer’s. If the antihistamines work, I’d go back and use them.

There is probably some sort of genetic component to Alzheimers that has yet to be discovered.

So far, the best defense against dementia seems to be getting good exercise regularly.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:03 AM

11,515 posts, read 16,648,901 times
Did it just start lately?
Did you change bedding?
Is it same bedding?
Did you start using new soap?
How often is bedding laundered?
Did you change diet?

Bed mites may easily cause this. Always look at simple cause first.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:29 AM

6,077 posts, read 2,383,491 times
Might you have bed bugs?

Old 12-19-2019, 11:35 AM

1,168 posts, read 339,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Did it just start lately?
Did you change bedding?
Is it same bedding?
Did you start using new soap?
How often is bedding laundered?
Did you change diet?

Bed mites may easily cause this. Always look at simple cause first.
If your kidneys are fine, then I would
second the possible bed mites: especially if you sweat easily-
get rid of your mattress and buy a new one, 100% latex is the best against mites( if you can’t afford a new one- get a zippered mattress cover- like for bedbugs type., but air out or dry out your old mattress first)

Use a good 100% cotton percale or linen bed sheets- wash it in a hot water, iron your sheets.
The same with your pajamas.
When you wake up- don’t make the bed right away- open windows, remove the blanket and let it air out/ dry out from your night body moisture?
See if it makes a difference: go easy on antihistamines- a lot of potential effects

Last edited by Nik4me; 12-19-2019 at 11:50 AM..

Old 12-19-2019, 02:24 PM

32,900 posts, read 14,903,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I’ve taken antihistamines regularly for decades. I am 73, and do not have Alzheimer’s. If the antihistamines work, I’d go back and use them.

There is probably some sort of genetic component to Alzheimers that has yet to be discovered.

So far, the best defense against dementia seems to be getting good exercise regularly.
I'm 73 too but I sure as heck don't want to wake up and realize that I forgot my name.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...k-201501287667

Old 12-19-2019, 03:48 PM

85 posts, read 58,916 times
I had a similar issue. It could be fungus

Old 12-19-2019, 04:33 PM
Status: "Tickyul >>> ARRESTED for not having health-insurance!" (set 18 days ago)

17,342 posts, read 17,391,800 times
Try hypoallergenic soap/laundry-detergent/etc. AND, of course, make absolutely sure you are not getting bitten by something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness