U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 04:50 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,641,352 times

Advertisements

OP,

In addition to all the good suggestions about being allergic to something, where do you live and has the weather recently gotten cold and you have turned on the heat???

I have a problem with my skin when I turn on the heat when it gets cold. The air in my home gets very dry and I need to increase the humidity in the house.

Gold Bond Ultimate diabetics dry skin relief moisturizer helps relieve the itching. A small portable humidifier run in the bedroom for a few hours before I go to bed raises the humidity in the room.

So, the problem might be the change in humidity in your house due to turning on your heat this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 05:02 PM

12,864 posts, read 5,162,079 times
Did your doctor check your liver? Itching all over is a red flag symptom of liver disease.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:24 PM

3,834 posts, read 3,361,648 times
I wonder if your antihistamines aren't making the itching worse by drying out your skin?

Have you tried coconut oil as a moisturizer? That works better for me than lotion. A jar of that lasts longer than a bottle of lotion. Put it on after you shower. It's pretty light and doesn't feel greasy.

You might also try showering with cooler water. Hot water feels great,but dries out your skin.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:17 AM

4,872 posts, read 2,103,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Did your doctor check your liver? Itching all over is a red flag symptom of liver disease.
The OP said initially it’s not the liver or kidneys. The timing of the itching is more in line with an allergy since our antihistamine response goes off when we sleep.

To the OP that suggested coconut oil- I have tried that at the recommendation of a dermatologist, but then a dermatologist recommended lotions like Cerave with ceramides. I have been using those since with the AHAs thrown in. I have been to a few (probably 4-5) dermatologists over the years about the itching along with several allergists and have a condition called dermatographia. If you can scratch your skin and see the scratches right after, then you have it. I still wake up sometimes with itchy skin, but take a Zyrtec in the morning and Allegra at night. I only rarely have to take a hydroxyzine or benadryl if it gets really bad. That said, I lived in one city where it was unbearable with the allergies and my skin felt like it was on fire. Of course to get tested, you have to be off all medications, so it is like 3-5 days of wanting to rip your skin off.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:23 AM

11,816 posts, read 8,970,352 times
Since we're taking stabs in the dark, Get scabies medicine and use it just in case. I got those in boot camp. They're hard to detect and torturous. Can't hurt to try.Be sure to wash your bedding, too.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:06 AM

32,900 posts, read 14,903,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The OP said initially it’s not the liver or kidneys. The timing of the itching is more in line with an allergy since our antihistamine response goes off when we sleep.

To the OP that suggested coconut oil- I have tried that at the recommendation of a dermatologist, but then a dermatologist recommended lotions like Cerave with ceramides. I have been using those since with the AHAs thrown in. I have been to a few (probably 4-5) dermatologists over the years about the itching along with several allergists and have a condition called dermatographia. If you can scratch your skin and see the scratches right after, then you have it. I still wake up sometimes with itchy skin, but take a Zyrtec in the morning and Allegra at night. I only rarely have to take a hydroxyzine or benadryl if it gets really bad. That said, I lived in one city where it was unbearable with the allergies and my skin felt like it was on fire. Of course to get tested, you have to be off all medications, so it is like 3-5 days of wanting to rip your skin off.
I have dermatographia too but I don't just itch in the morning either, I itch most of the time.

Old 12-20-2019, 10:06 AM

11,331 posts, read 12,524,289 times
How are you kidneys functioning? Itching can be a sign of high phosphorous when the kidneys cannot remove it.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:29 PM

32,900 posts, read 14,903,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post

OMG I know what that's like..

Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM

59 posts, read 26,733 times
I tried Eurecin skin calming itching relief treatment but it didn’t help. I also stayed the night at my girlfriend recently. I didn’t itch as much there but I did itch though. I did carry my boxers t shirt and sweat pants when I stayed the night there.

I live in Nyc. The hydroxzine helps at night but makes me drowsy. I will try the cerave and coconut oil next and see if that helps.

Another thing I did have some scratches on my body. That’s how bad I was itching some mornings. I don’t have scratch marks but did before. I try not to scratch to hard now when the itching starts. Some mornings is not as bad as other mornings when it comes to the itching

I also tried both calamine lotion and calamine spray. Didn’t help at all

Last edited by joerezz7; Yesterday at 11:10 PM..

Old Today, 04:54 AM

3,222 posts, read 1,260,121 times
Causes of pruritus (That's "itching" but I can charge more if I use the Latin term)-

-allergy- pretty unusual to itch and not have a rash too

-chemical irritation- dried soap or products not efficiently rinsed off of skin or laundry-- it gets re-dissolved in moisture as you sweat and irritates the skin

- bugs-- bed bugs, mites, scabies etc-- usually produce some sort of rash as evidence; others in household usually are also suffering

-Winter itch- warm, dry air from winter heating conditions; very common in older folks

- kidney or liver problems-- usually only in sever problems you already know about.

- blood problems-- of all sorts; simple CBC should point the doc in the right direction

-hi calcium levels- in hyperparathyroidism or various cancers.

etc etc

Unexplained, persistent pruritus can be a sentinel sign of occult carcinoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness