Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 09:02 AM

69 posts, read 78,774 times

Advertisements

For about a few months now I wake up almost every morning itching all over. I don’t know what’s causing it. I went to my doctor and he told me to use moisturizer. I used it and it didn’t help at all. They did blood tests for my kidney and liver and it was fine.

I have no idea what to do now or what type of doctor to see? The itching usually starts around 5 or 6 in the morning. It’s all over my body. No rash or anything though. I been scratching so much that I have scratch marks on my arm and stomach.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? What type of doctor should I see? Is there anything I can buy to stop the itching? I take Benadryl and Hydroxizine which helps me sleep but when I wake up I itch all over. A friend told me to get calamine lotion but I thought that was for chicken pox.

Can anyone help me out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 11:55 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
See an allergist? A dermatologist? Change your soap or laundry detergent?

BTW, why do you think the friends suggested calamine lotion? It relieves skin irritation and itching...including but not limited to that caused by chicken pox.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-18-2019 at 12:55 PM..

Old 12-18-2019, 12:50 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Do you shower before bed? If so, try switching your soap/shower gel to something mild without drying chemicals. If you don't shower at night, maybe start doing so (with mild soap) and see if makes a difference.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:23 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Wash your bedding (all of it) in hypoallergenic "detergent" of some kind (or something without perfumes or other toxins).

Check your lotion.

I personally would take B vitamins.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:34 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
How is your hemoglobin? My late husband had unexplained itching attacks and it turned out to be polycythemia- his bone marrow was making too many red blood cells. He used to be very popular at the blood bank because his hemoglobin levels were so high.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:07 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Try switching to an unscented hypoallergenic soap for your body and your laundry...sounds like an allergic reaction...

Old 12-18-2019, 06:39 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Are you wearing pajamas? Try a different detergent on your sheets.

Just for kicks, try taking extra vitamin C, maybe 500mg. It can't hurt you, and it may act as a mild antihistamine. Also try Sarna.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:46 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerezz7 View Post
For about a few months now I wake up almost every morning itching all over. I don’t know what’s causing it. I went to my doctor and he told me to use moisturizer. I used it and it didn’t help at all. They did blood tests for my kidney and liver and it was fine.

I have no idea what to do now or what type of doctor to see? The itching usually starts around 5 or 6 in the morning. It’s all over my body. No rash or anything though. I been scratching so much that I have scratch marks on my arm and stomach.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? What type of doctor should I see? Is there anything I can buy to stop the itching? I take Benadryl and Hydroxizine which helps me sleep but when I wake up I itch all over. A friend told me to get calamine lotion but I thought that was for chicken pox.

Can anyone help me out?
OP, you could be in an itch/scratch cycle. You've been scratching, which just makes it worse.

Itch-Scratch Cycle. Itch evokes the behavior of scratching which increases inflammation and causes excitation of nerve fibers, leading to more itching and scratching.

If so, you need to break the cycle. I find that taking a hot bath (no soap) kills the itch temporarily. Then you need to refrain from scratching. Repeat as necessary.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:53 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
I have eczema and I itch like crazy at night. I was taking hydroxyzine (prescription drug related to benadryl) when I went to bed and it worked wonders but I read that antihistamine drugs cause alzheimers so I quit taking it. I've had extensive allergy testing and I'm only allergic to a few metals and red dye. About the only thing I do now is wear tight fitting jammies and keep my nails short but I still itch, I swear God hates me

Old 12-19-2019, 03:52 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
It sounds like you have allergies. Benadryl and hydroxyzine work the best for itching, but the they last 4 hours. The itching will come back in the morning typically your antihistamine response turns off at night. You might want to try Zyrtec or Allegra as well. When I am super itchy, I use hydroxyzine or Benadryl on top of the longer acting antihistamines (one in the morning and one at night). I also find that lotions with AHA help a lot. You can try amlactin, eucerin intensive repair, or cerave sa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness