U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 12:16 PM

73,716 posts, read 86,174,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
A recent study showed that even light alcohol consumption increases several cancer risks.

https://www.ajc.com/lifestyles/study...QTkrfahx3lZ6N/

Study from Japan and included people who had at least one drink a day on average. No alcohol consumption would be the safest.

Yes just another study but I'm seeing more and more of them that seem to be showing the same result. Could be other factors or combinations that don't help either.
Studies can show anything they want and this topic has been discussed on here dozen times or more. We see studies like this, then the next week we see studies that will tell you the benefits of a drink or two a day. I doubt any study will ever give us a definitive answer. All these studies seem to do is cause a lot of debate between moderate drinker, rate drinkers, tee tottlers and anyone in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 12:27 PM

15,600 posts, read 32,065,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Studies can show anything they want and this topic has been discussed on here dozen times or more. We see studies like this, then the next week we see studies that will tell you the benefits of a drink or two a day. I doubt any study will ever give us a definitive answer. All these studies seem to do is cause a lot of debate between moderate drinker, rate drinkers, tee tottlers and anyone in between.
Exactly ^^^. And no amount of these posts on "studies" is going to change anyone's mind! I will stick to my two glasses of wine per day, studies be dam**d!

Old 12-26-2019, 12:37 PM

1,269 posts, read 1,687,786 times
I have heard and read that the "bible belt" where, presumably, alcohol is not consumed, is ALSO the stroke/heart attack belt.
Moderation seems to be the key in most things.

Old 12-26-2019, 12:54 PM

2,547 posts, read 6,563,650 times
Pancreous and liver can't handle it.

Old 12-26-2019, 01:06 PM

3,230 posts, read 1,264,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
YAWN, let's stop doing everything enjoyable and live an extra 2 weeks!

There was a statistical analysis study published ~25 y/a that showed people with chol levels of 200 lived an average of only 4 days longer than those with chol of 300!!

These dietary studies are useless. They rely on subjects memory & honesty in reporting their habits (as if they never change from yr to yr) over 20 -50 yr spans. The error bars have to be enormous for the data.--- "Non-drinkers lived 4 months longer (+ or - 6 yrs) than drinkers."

Old 12-26-2019, 02:18 PM

2,951 posts, read 1,762,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
These dietary studies are useless. They rely on subjects memory & honesty in reporting their habits (as if they never change from yr to yr) over 20 -50 yr spans. The error bars have to be enormous for the data.--- "Non-drinkers lived 4 months longer (+ or - 6 yrs) than drinkers."
Useless? Hardly. Their biggest use is to raise issues for further research. What they're not good at, and no retrospective study is, is showing cause and effect. Put another way, they're never definitive. But they're very good at raising questions like "I wonder why that is?" that serve as pathways for further research.

Retrospective nutrition studies are devilishly difficult to carry out well, but becoming easier in these days of big data. That's why you see so many conflicting results.

We also need to be aware of publicity bias. You've heard of publication bias, where negative results don't get published as much? Publicity bias is where only the "exciting" (as in outlier, unlikely to be reproduced?) results get publicity. After all, who'd click on a CNN headline (and open a new page that shows new ads leading to more revenue...) that said "yet another study shows...)?

Old 12-26-2019, 02:41 PM

6,857 posts, read 3,908,611 times
It's important to know where the money behind the study is coming from.

This is not an easy task because they hide behind neutral sounding names. In the eighties our small city participated in a several years long study for heart health. I was surprised when I took the initial registration evaluation to determine a base line that, while they asked numerous questions about smoking, exercise, eating habits and family history, not a single question addressed alcohol use.

Since excessive use of alcohol in any form is connected to heart health I wondered why, with such a thorough health history, they weren't including alcohol use.

It took some research time but eventually I discovered that the study was being financed by one of the big five alcohol producers. While not definitive proof we are being mislead it is still important to know who is financing a study and what their possible motivations may be.

Old 12-26-2019, 02:51 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,094,013 times
So if they make the same survey among heart patients, will they find that liquor decreases the odds of heart disease? The odds of dying of heart disease and cancer are nearly the same (about 1 in every 5 people). Also couldn't they prove that drinking prevents 4 out of 5 people from dying of cancer or heart disease?

Old 12-27-2019, 09:40 AM

73,716 posts, read 86,174,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Pancreous and liver can't handle it.
Tell that to all of us in 60, 70 and 80 plus. We have enjoyed our wine or drinks for years, so are still doing fine. My dad was a heavy drinker and lived to be 93, alcohol didn't seem to hurt him. Oh, my mom in law did better. She lived to be 97 and did not drink often.

Pretty soon if people don't stop reading and taking these studies seriously they are all going to get some horrible disease called "gulliblism"

Old 12-27-2019, 10:54 AM

503 posts, read 61,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Tell that to all of us in 60, 70 and 80 plus. We have enjoyed our wine or drinks for years, so are still doing fine. My dad was a heavy drinker and lived to be 93, alcohol didn't seem to hurt him. Oh, my mom in law did better. She lived to be 97 and did not drink often.
That’s great for them, but the ones whom alcohol sickened or killed aren’t around to tell their story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness