U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 12:46 PM

2,951 posts, read 1,763,670 times

Advertisements

To show you how hard this stuff is to understand, I just saw the following headline in a medical publication I get:
Quote:
Oatmeal Instead of Eggs and Toast Linked to Lowered Stroke Risk
Details: 55,000 Danes followed for an average of 14.4 years, and had 2,260 strokes during that period. That means they had a ~4% chance of a stroke during that time period. Oatmeal instead of eggs lowered their risk by 5%.

You do the math: 5% of 4% is a very small number! Put another way, if you don't like lots of decimal places, your risk is still 4%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 01:33 PM

6,122 posts, read 2,724,660 times
I think an individuals cancer risk from alcohol will depend on certain genetic variants.

How many here get the alcohol flush? I do. Every time I drink my chest turns bright red.

Alcohol flush is encoded by the gene ALDH2, which stands for Aldehyde Dehydrogenase 2. This is an important enzyme involved in alcohol metabolism and is responsible for the breakdown of a toxic compound called Acetaldehyde.

This is one reason why I don't drink. I have never had a problem with alcohol abuse but I just stopped because I felt my body was trying to tell me something & sure enough:

Quote:
Alcohol Flush is a combination of symptoms, most notably the red flushing of the face or skin. Other symptoms include an increased heart rate, overheating sensation, headache, dizziness, nausea, and intensified hangovers. This reaction is a sign of damage occurring in the body, leading to inflammation, oxidative cell damage, and symptoms listed above. Many people who experience this may think it is a harmless effect that is more cosmetic than anything else. However, studies show people who have this genetic variant and continue to consume alcohol are at an increased risk of developing hypertension, stomach ulcers and even esophageal and stomach cancers.

Those who carry this inactive version of the gene are more likely to get alcohol flush and all the other negative effects when consuming even very little alcohol. Unfortunately, there is no cure for alcohol flush and those who have this genetic predisposition are recommended to avoid alcohol completely.
https://www.pathway.com/blog/alcohol...ealth-concern/

Old 12-27-2019, 01:52 PM

5,695 posts, read 3,744,768 times
I haven't touched a drop of alcohol in years. Just stopped. It always occurred to me that it was inherently unhealthy. Too many people abuse themselves with both alcohol and drugs and get into all kinds of trouble.

Old 12-28-2019, 12:28 PM

73,736 posts, read 86,195,798 times
this is a very personal choice many have to make or choose to make. I think the issue with this post is: even a little alcohol can cause horrible diseases. Some do not believe it, some do. I, personally feel the study is just that, a study and really isn't a fact. Remember when we were warned about eating eggs? Remember when a quart of milk a day was something we all, especially children needed. And what about nothing with seeds or nuts should be eaten if you have diaverticulosis (spelling), We can go on and on, but the point is: no one thing is going to cause cancer or heart trouble of anything else. And the only thing that will kill you is when your heart stops beating.
For those who choose not to drink that is probably a good choice. What is not a good choice is lecturing others about their eating or drinking habits. It is like a vegan or vegetarian that lets everyone who enjoys meat know how bad it is or them or how they should care more for animals. Make your own choice but don't tell others what they should be doing. I am not saying you are telling others how to live, I am simply saying too many people do.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:22 AM

346 posts, read 84,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I think an individuals cancer risk from alcohol will depend on certain genetic variants.

How many here get the alcohol flush? I do. Every time I drink my chest turns bright red.

Alcohol flush is encoded by the gene ALDH2, which stands for Aldehyde Dehydrogenase 2. This is an important enzyme involved in alcohol metabolism and is responsible for the breakdown of a toxic compound called Acetaldehyde.

This is one reason why I don't drink. I have never had a problem with alcohol abuse but I just stopped because I felt my body was trying to tell me something & sure enough:

https://www.pathway.com/blog/alcohol...ealth-concern/

Alcohol is a dilator so I can the hypertension. And yes the flush response. It's an acknowledgement by the body that it indeed has consumed some alcohol. But the cancer risk I think is from flush as you describe in combination with other factors. The difference between alcohol and food is people tend to drink or nurse alcohol drinks for hours continuously bombarding the body. This is why I think many might develop diabetes because unlike a piece of cake lets say it eaten and that's it even though alot of sugar. Alcohol is pure sugar being put into the body hours on end.

Also I know alcoholics who have had at least one of those side effects including throat cancer, hypertension and diabetes with no family medical history of those conditions at a younger age.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:35 PM

2,902 posts, read 846,954 times
For several or more years my husband had two drinks every single day. Never more. But he saw it as moderate drinking because experts define heavy drinking as 15 or more drinks a week for men. He honestly saw 14 drinks a week as okay. Finally his doctor asked him if he really though the body reacted poorly to 15 drinks but did okay with 14. She recommended he cut it down to 7 or less---which made sense since his weight is more like a typical woman's and women are supposed to have 7 or less.

He finally quit a couple of years ago due to atrial fibrillation episodes---and new research came out saying that even "moderate drinking" increases a-fib.

On Monday he has to have an endoscopy because he has GERD symptoms that haven't responded to meds. I'll admit that I am scared that i could be esophageal cancer---he doesn't think the 56 drinks a month for several years would cause this.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:44 PM

6,114 posts, read 2,397,812 times
I'm sure this study ruled out people with "bad diets," as well as smokers, people with genetic histories of cancer, environmental exposures, etc.

Alcohol was the ONLY variable.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:07 PM

27,058 posts, read 29,522,684 times
People who want to live long and healthy lives should follow Dan Buettner's Blue Zones model of:

--Eating a plant based diet (minimal meat and processed foods, light alcohol ok).
--Regular exercise.
--Regular religious/spiritual practice.
--strong family & community ties.

Some of the populations studied didn't consume meat or alcohol at all (Seventh Day Adventists in Loma Linda, CA), but others did consume those things, but in small quantities. The key is meat & alcohol must be consumed in small quantities.

These are the things, as documented in Dan Buettner's "Blue Zones" books that help whole populations live long, disability free lives with minimal use of drugs and other modern health care treatments.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:08 PM

27,058 posts, read 29,522,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I'm sure this study ruled out people with "bad diets," as well as smokers, people with genetic histories of cancer, environmental exposures, etc.

Alcohol was the ONLY variable.
That's what I was thinking.

Our diet here in America is so horrible, I'm thinking alcohol consumption is the least of our worries. I'm guessing a can of soda a day is worse for your health than a glass of wine a day.

Old 01-05-2020, 07:16 AM

73,736 posts, read 86,195,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's what I was thinking.

Our diet here in America is so horrible, I'm thinking alcohol consumption is the least of our worries. I'm guessing a can of soda a day is worse for your health than a glass of wine a day.
For many of us this is pretty true. For others we live for years, not eating healthy and drinking way too much alcohol, soft drinks, even flavored juices that are not really juice at all or very little juice. I happen to be lucky, I came from a family that never developed a taste for many processed foods, we didn't use as much fat in cooking as many people do or did and we always were lucky enough to eat mostly fresh produce. Soft drinks were a rarity in our home. My kids eat the same way. I worry more about my grown grade kids. Moms and dads work hard, going out to eat or ordering in is often earlier than cooking every day, they love their sweets as well. They do drink alcohol as well, but do not overdue it as far as I know. There are a lot more things to worry about when it comes to diet than whether a drink or two at night causes cancer or any other ailment.

There are those of us who have enjoyed our wine, our beer or our cocktail and still lived to be in our 80s and 90s. My mom, my dad, my husbands mom and now us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness