U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 11:44 AM

612 posts, read 403,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not necessarily true - I think most people who drink to excess are not active. There are plenty of active people that might enjoy a glass of wine, cocktail, or a beer on a regular basis.
I don't know any active people that drink every single day. Could there be very active people that drink every single day? Sure, but I would think that be very counterproductive and in the extreme minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 08:27 PM

5,634 posts, read 6,933,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
I don't know any active people that drink every single day. Could there be very active people that drink every single day? Sure, but I would think that be very counterproductive and in the extreme minority.
I have a relative who is a functional alcoholic and still works out every day and usually runs a 5K or 10K every other month or so. He probably averages 6-8 drinks a day, every day.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:59 AM

421 posts, read 180,312 times
Quote:
I would conclude that you don't get around much to meet and observe different people. I know LOTS of people who drink every day and are very active. And I knew (and know of) some who drank daily and lived to a ripe old age while still being very active. In fact, I would contend that having 2 or 3 drinks per day and living an active lifestyle is better for a person than consuming extra (unneeded) calories every day and living an inactive lifestyle... not that these are the only 2 choices available for people.

Another thing to consider is that many things can kill you or reduce your lifespan, but it's often difficult if not impossible to precisely attribute why a person lived a shorter than normal lifespan when many other people who apparently lived a similar lifestyle and lived much longer.

So, it boils down to what a person wants to do. If having a couple of drinks every day makes their life much more enjoyable, many people would consider that a good tradeoff for the slight additional risk of some disease or a year or two shorter lifespan... particularly when there are numerous other things which carry the same or greater degree of risk that don't increase your pleasure or enjoyment in the slightest.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:00 AM

5,601 posts, read 6,766,915 times
Quote:
I have a glass of wine daily, sometimes two. I am very active. I work out 5 - 6 days a week, I am at not overweight, my labs are always good. I know other people just like me. Its in the culture of where I live. People in the wine industry tend to imbibe on a regular basis. Maybe its because we eat really well - no crap.

Am I advocating for people to drink everyday? Not at all.

January - February tend to be dry months.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:01 AM

5,601 posts, read 6,766,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I have a relative who is a functional alcoholic and still works out every day and usually runs a 5K or 10K every other month or so. He probably averages 6-8 drinks a day, every day.
Wow, that is a lot. I guess if it weren't for his exercise he would be a mess.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:08 AM

54,017 posts, read 43,290,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
A recent study showed that even light alcohol consumption increases several cancer risks.

https://www.ajc.com/lifestyles/study...QTkrfahx3lZ6N/

Study from Japan and included people who had at least one drink a day on average. No alcohol consumption would be the safest.

Yes just another study but I'm seeing more and more of them that seem to be showing the same result. Could be other factors or combinations that don't help either.
I see your study...and raise you a study that essentially says the opposite.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/19/healt...udy/index.html

Quote:
Yet the study also found that a person's combined risk of dying younger or developing cancer is lowest among light drinkers:
P.S. Please note that a number of studies use the word "may" but then people drop that word when repeating the narrative.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
That's insane. I bet they could run a 10k every single month if they laid off the alcohol.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I would conclude that you don't get around much to meet and observe different people. I know LOTS of people who drink every day and are very active. And I knew (and know of) some who drank daily and lived to a ripe old age while still being very active. In fact, I would contend that having 2 or 3 drinks per day and living an active lifestyle is better for a person than consuming extra (unneeded) calories every day and living an inactive lifestyle... not that these are the only 2 choices available for people.

Another thing to consider is that many things can kill you or reduce your lifespan, but it's often difficult if not impossible to precisely attribute why a person lived a shorter than normal lifespan when many other people who apparently lived a similar lifestyle and lived much longer.

So, it boils down to what a person wants to do. If having a couple of drinks every day makes their life much more enjoyable, many people would consider that a good tradeoff for the slight additional risk of some disease or a year or two shorter lifespan... particularly when there are numerous other things which carry the same or greater degree of risk that don't increase your pleasure or enjoyment in the slightest.
Well the people tend to be around are elite level, not your average joe so that is maybe why I don't see fit alcoholics.

Yes anything can kill you or reduce your lifespan but I can guarantee you that by drinking everyday it is holding that person back from their goals, whether it be fat loss, muscle mass, or optimal athletic performance.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I have a glass of wine daily, sometimes two. I am very active. I work out 5 - 6 days a week, I am at not overweight, my labs are always good. I know other people just like me. Its in the culture of where I live. People in the wine industry tend to imbibe on a regular basis. Maybe its because we eat really well - no crap.

Am I advocating for people to drink everyday? Not at all.

January - February tend to be dry months.
Some weeks I drink daily also, but it for sure has an effect on my athletic performance, goals, clarity. Etc.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:04 PM

421 posts, read 180,312 times
Quote:
Well the people tend to be around are elite level, not your average joe so that is maybe why I don't see fit alcoholics.

Yes anything can kill you or reduce your lifespan but I can guarantee you that by drinking everyday it is holding that person back from their goals, whether it be fat loss, muscle mass, or optimal athletic performance.
Well, if I ever decide to try out for the Olympics, I'll consider your suggestion. Otherwise, I'm going to continue to enjoy life and not worry about whether the beer or glass of wine that I enjoy might be stopping me from being a star athlete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness