U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2019, 01:26 AM
 
321 posts, read 70,022 times
Reputation: 537

Advertisements

A recent study showed that even light alcohol consumption increases several cancer risks.

https://www.ajc.com/lifestyles/study...QTkrfahx3lZ6N/

Study from Japan and included people who had at least one drink a day on average. No alcohol consumption would be the safest.

Yes just another study but I'm seeing more and more of them that seem to be showing the same result. Could be other factors or combinations that don't help either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2019, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
4,860 posts, read 1,604,869 times
Reputation: 4191
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
A recent study showed that even light alcohol consumption increases several cancer risks.

https://www.ajc.com/lifestyles/study...QTkrfahx3lZ6N/

Study from Japan and included people who had at least one drink a day on average. No alcohol consumption would be the safest.

Yes just another study but I'm seeing more and more of them that seem to be showing the same result. Could be other factors or combinations that don't help either.
And breathing the air can cause certain cancers, along with eating peanut butter, they say everything gives you cancer. My lord enjoy your life if i followed that study than i should be dead, because I’ve drank since i was 12 years old and I’m 64 now and in good health for my age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2019, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Southern California
12,511 posts, read 11,069,051 times
Reputation: 34562
And next week a recent study will show it may prevent cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2019, 10:19 AM
 
2,950 posts, read 1,754,768 times
Reputation: 3053
Alcohol's cancer risk has been known for decades, going back at least to the 1970s when I was in grad school. It's a very weak carcinogen, but one consumed in large quantities by some people, so, on a dose adjusted basis, some researchers believe it's the most potent carcinogen we're exposed to.

There are a number of dietary carcinogens, some avoidable, some not. Some are very potent, like aflatoxin, and some are weak, like alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2019, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
4,860 posts, read 1,604,869 times
Reputation: 4191
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Alcohol's cancer risk has been known for decades, going back at least to the 1970s when I was in grad school. It's a very weak carcinogen, but one consumed in large quantities by some people, so, on a dose adjusted basis, some researchers believe it's the most potent carcinogen we're exposed to.

There are a number of dietary carcinogens, some avoidable, some not. Some are very potent, like aflatoxin, and some are weak, like alcohol.
And don forget bbq meat also is bad for you, wow


that’s how our ancestors the cave man died off.p
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2019, 10:51 AM
 
2,950 posts, read 1,754,768 times
Reputation: 3053
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And don forget bbq meat also is bad for you, wow
Not just BBQ. Fried foods in general have carcinogens. So do cured meats. But we still live longer than our ancestors. Pre-refrigeration, digestive cancers, especially stomach and esophageal, were much more common - go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2019, 11:09 AM
 
321 posts, read 70,022 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Alcohol's cancer risk has been known for decades, going back at least to the 1970s when I was in grad school. It's a very weak carcinogen, but one consumed in large quantities by some people, so, on a dose adjusted basis, some researchers believe it's the most potent carcinogen we're exposed to.

There are a number of dietary carcinogens, some avoidable, some not. Some are very potent, like aflatoxin, and some are weak, like alcohol.



That what I thought. The myth is alcohol only destroys brain cells. But if the can affect brain cells why couldn't affect other cells.


Also I knew hard liquor drinker who got throat area cancer. Didn't get until their senior years but they were a daily whisky and wine drinker. There were other factors to including smoking in their but they quit decades earlier. But being from the era of acceptable smoking the first half of their life was in smoke filled rooms. I think it was that combination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2019, 12:03 PM
 
2,950 posts, read 1,754,768 times
Reputation: 3053
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Also I knew hard liquor drinker who got throat area cancer. Didn't get until their senior years but they were a daily whisky and wine drinker. There were other factors to including smoking in their but they quit decades earlier. But being from the era of acceptable smoking the first half of their life was in smoke filled rooms. I think it was that combination.
ou're

You're on the right track. Smoking doesn't mix well with most carcinogens - makes them way more potent. Asbestos is a great example, but there are many others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2019, 12:15 PM
 
574 posts, read 396,646 times
Reputation: 414
I can't imagine that individuals that average a drink a day for 20+ yrs are all that healthy and active to being with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2019, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Wine Country
5,574 posts, read 6,747,786 times
Reputation: 10365
I drink wine almost every night with dinner. I dont plan on stopping anytime soon. I work in the industry so the wine is fabulous. I am around people who are the same. But I live in an area that values health and fitness and healthy fresh food. It's just part of the culture here and I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top