Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 02:51 PM

63 posts, read 36,558 times

Advertisements

Out of the tap, but I fill up a gallon jug before going to bed, put it in the fridge, and drink it the next day. That takes care of the slight chlorine smell it sometimes has. And it is cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 03:28 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
My water has a bad taste but not much of a chlorine odor or taste. When I look online it's within the federal guidelines for contaminants but it's far from perfect. Where I used to live, I had a charcoal tank filter installed under the kitchen sink. But this is an apartment complex so I just use a Zero water pitcher and the water tastes pretty good and hopefully it's cleaner.

I can't stand the taste of water that's in a plastic bottle--all I can taste is the plastic. If I have to buy water (as a treat) I'll buy San Pellegrino in glass bottles.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:54 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
I drink tap water, 200 to 300 ounces a day. I prefer it cold from the refrig. I drink out of 32 ounce plastic glasses. Bottle water tastes blah to me. Our tap water is not considered good tasting but cold suits me fine. I love water prefer to any other drink by a huge margin.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:48 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I buy distilled water by the gallon. That's pretty much all I drink.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:51 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I buy bottled spring water. My daughter gets hives from our tap water. She even has to brush her teeth with bottled water. We used to use the filtered water from the vending machine at the grocery store, but she can't tolerate it now.

Old 12-21-2019, 01:15 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
The mid-sized town where I live, gets 90% of the water for its public utility from deep wells, which are scattered around the area. They range from about 250 feet to 400 feet in depth. A small, experimental, sand-filtration facility takes water from a river for the other 10%. This water requires only a small amount of chlorine as a disinfectant.

Our water bills are very low, compared to those of many other areas. My bill this past month was $2.02 for the water I used, plus $17.10 for the basic water charge. In the summer, when I water all my trees and plants twice a week, I may use five or six times that much. I'm lucky to be living in an area where there's never been a municipal water shortage.

There have been some troubles, such as the pollution that a large, timber-products plant spewed out on the community. It was forced to clean up the waste it was dumping into a river and the foul chemicals it released into the air. But there was a continuing problem of toxins that were allowed to sink into the ground. A plume of toxins, at the depth of the wells, slowly encroached on some of them and they had to be abandoned.

In many places in the world, there are unknown toxins threatening well water systems. This is a delayed action process, but eventually, industrial pollution will poison many more water supplies. Sometimes, the pollution may not reveal itself for decades after the source has gone out of business. Gold mines from the 1800s that put many tons of mercury into our watersheds, continue to render the resident fish unsafe to eat.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:19 AM

1,262 posts, read 664,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The mid-sized town where I live, gets 90% of the water for its public utility from deep wells, which are scattered around the area. They range from about 250 feet to 400 feet in depth. A small, experimental, sand-filtration facility takes water from a river for the other 10%. This water requires only a small amount of chlorine as a disinfectant.

Our water bills are very low, compared to those of many other areas. My bill this past month was $2.02 for the water I used, plus $17.10 for the basic water charge. In the summer, when I water all my trees and plants twice a week, I may use five or six times that much. I'm lucky to be living in an area where there's never been a municipal water shortage.

There have been some troubles, such as the pollution that a large, timber-products plant spewed out on the community. It was forced to clean up the waste it was dumping into a river and the foul chemicals it released into the air. But there was a continuing problem of toxins that were allowed to sink into the ground. A plume of toxins, at the depth of the wells, slowly encroached on some of them and they had to be abandoned.

In many places in the world, there are unknown toxins threatening well water systems. This is a delayed action process, but eventually, industrial pollution will poison many more water supplies. Sometimes, the pollution may not reveal itself for decades after the source has gone out of business. Gold mines from the 1800s that put many tons of mercury into our watersheds, continue to render the resident fish unsafe to eat.
Water is so ultimately important to life itself, that it's hard to fathom why we continue to contaminate our precious clean water sources. I guess we can chalk that up to greed and ignorance. Historically, it was common practice to make your enemy's water supply, undrinkable. Unfortunately, we now do this to our own water sources.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:31 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
From the tap, village water system that supplies a few dozen households. Comes via gravity from a deep well on the hill, which gives great water pressure and works even when the power is out. Tastes great too.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:53 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Out of the tap with ice from the ice maker. There is a filter on the ice maker water. I’ve never lived anywhere, city water or well water, where I didn’t drink the tap water.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:54 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I buy bottled spring water. My daughter gets hives from our tap water. She even has to brush her teeth with bottled water. We used to use the filtered water from the vending machine at the grocery store, but she can't tolerate it now.
Seriously? What is in the water that affects her? That’s a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness