U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 09:03 AM

20,967 posts, read 19,914,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Seriously? What is in the water that affects her? That’s a shame.
My husband said he broke out in a rash from taking a shower in some place he vacationed in Spain. He went to a dr there who said that a lot of the tourists get a rash but the locals don't because they are used to it. He also got a rash from the water when he moved here and the doctor said that he did too! (Both of them got used to it and no longer get rashes.)

It can be some harmless mineral that irritates the skin of some people. Or for people like Hedgehog Mom's daughter, they might just be very sensitive/allergy prone and it could be a nasty problem wherever they go.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:04 AM

4,566 posts, read 3,075,462 times
I quit drinking tap water in the 80's. I worked for a large city which had a top ten water ranking and the chief water chemist told me he wouldn't drink the water.

Back then I had a home distiller. Then I went to buying gallons of distilled water and then to having a water delivery service for work and home. The water we buy is marketed as ultra pure and goes through a five step process including distillation and ozonation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 10:00 AM

7,391 posts, read 4,063,631 times
Really depends on where I am. I've lived places with really good tasting water and others where the tap water was basically unpalatable. It's interesting talking to my FIL. He's basically only lived a couple places his entire life and doesn't comprehend that there are some places where the water may be safe to drink, the smell and taste are undrinkable.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:36 AM

2,044 posts, read 946,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post

How do you get your water?
From the tap. And keep it chilled in the fridge.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:42 AM

4,430 posts, read 1,916,528 times
Had marginal wells since the age of 14. Even in Orange County, CA. So grew up drinking bottled water: first the "Culligan Man", then by the gallon from a store machine, living in Utah.

NOW, it's delivered by truck to cisterns under the condo complex. Who knows from where. So we buy 5-gallon bottles that we hope are from a cleaner source, to drink. And "con gas" bottles at the store.

Old 12-21-2019, 01:43 PM

4,803 posts, read 1,261,924 times
I grew up on (over)chlorinated tap water, and enjoy visiting my home town where I can still taste "good" water. I love it! It makes everything taste better: the tap water itself, and coffee, tea, iced drinks...

Cities with less chlorine added unfortunately taste "muddy" to me. Bottled Aquafina or Dasani are an acceptable middle ground.

Currently, live in a development with a community well. Thankfully doesn't have the sulfur or calcium problems some areas do, but it is high in iron. We drink filtered from the fridge when we don't have bottled. It tastes pleasant when ice cold.

Old 12-21-2019, 01:56 PM

8,741 posts, read 3,805,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I grew up on (over)chlorinated tap water, and enjoy visiting my home town where I can still taste "good" water. I love it! It makes everything taste better: the tap water itself, and coffee, tea, iced drinks...

Cities with less chlorine added unfortunately taste "muddy" to me. Bottled Aquafina or Dasani are an acceptable middle ground.

Currently, live in a development with a community well. Thankfully doesn't have the sulfur or calcium problems some areas do, but it is high in iron. We drink filtered from the fridge when we don't have bottled. It tastes pleasant when ice cold.
BTW, it is easy to get rid of chlorine. Let the tap water "age" in an open-top container overnight; fridge or countertop. Give it a good stir before letting it sit. Chlorine is a gas...it will dissipate over time. However, be aware that many municipalities no longer use chlorine to disinfect water. They use chloramines instead. The aging idea won't work.

Old 12-21-2019, 02:03 PM

I have read that there are areas of west Texas which have naturally high levels of fluorine in their ground water. Residents known for having largely cavity-free mouths in comparison to the rest of the US population. Today, this might not have the impact it once did, with people opting for bottled or filtered water, and the advent of white fillings and sealants, but I'm sure once provided a natural advantage for locals whose alternative was having a mouth full of silver.

Old 12-21-2019, 02:24 PM

8,741 posts, read 3,805,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I have read that there are areas of west Texas which have naturally high levels of fluorine in their ground water. Residents known for having largely cavity-free mouths in comparison to the rest of the US population. Today, this might not have the impact it once did, with people opting for bottled or filtered water, and the advent of white fillings and sealants, but I'm sure once provided a natural advantage for locals whose alternative was having a mouth full of silver.
Fluorine is a naturally occurring element in many groundwater sources. It is the most reactive of all elements, so it combines and reacts with just about everything else. Fluoride, a naturally occurring salt anion of fluorine can also be an ingredient of groundwater. Fluoridation conspiracy theorists love to forget the fact that both can be present in water (and to fairly high levels) without any "help" from man.

Old 12-21-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Fluorine is a naturally occurring element in many groundwater sources. It is the most reactive of all elements, so it combines and reacts with just about everything else. Fluoride, a naturally occurring salt anion of fluorine can also be an ingredient of groundwater. Fluoridation conspiracy theorists love to forget the fact that both can be present in water (and to fairly high levels) without any "help" from man.
Perhaps I'm an aspiring conspiracy theorist on the opposite side of their spectrum. Clearly I'm not a budding chemist! I believe that bottled and water filtration systems are pushed on people with perfectly good water. I have a friend who claims fluoride calcifies the pineal gland, yada yada ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness