U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 12:32 PM

490 posts, read 119,789 times

Advertisements

Water is the second most important substance on Earth because it is the second most required substance for humans and most forms of life. Oxygen being the most important. It is said that the human body to be fully hydrated (depending on climate, activity level, and diet) requires roughly 50-100% of body weight in ounces of water daily. As an example, if you weigh 150 lbs. your daily requirement would be between 75 oz. and 150 oz. depending on climate, activity level, and diet. Are you drinking enough water?

We used to have a Culligan reverse-osmosis home filtration unit under our sink for r.o. water from the tap, but after many years it was time for expensive replacement filters and parts. So now we have a ceramic dispenser which requires either 5 or 3 gal. bottles which we get at our water distributor. The water is r.o. just like before, and from Culligan too.
How do you get your water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 12:34 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,849,821 times
"It is said" by whom?

I get my water right out of the tap in the kitchen sink. I consider myself lucky to live in a place that has fully drinkable water.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:47 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,786,961 times
Out of the tap or a bottle when driving

Old 12-20-2019, 12:51 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,747,786 times
I drink tap water. It tastes great here. If I am traveling or working out I will fill my water bottle to take with.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
"It is said" by whom?

I get my water right out of the tap in the kitchen sink. I consider myself lucky to live in a place that has fully drinkable water.
It is said, as you ask, by many many sites, Google is your friend. But here is a site I was reading just this morning.

https://newhopehealth.com/the-second...n-earth-water/

As more and more pesticides, fertilizers, and harmful chemicals are utilized, our water becomes more at risk for contamination. We live in corn country where unfortunately far too many chemicals leech into city/town water wells. For us, it's a small price to pay for safe drinking water by getting it in large containers. But there's no right or wrong here, only personal preferences.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:41 PM

10,258 posts, read 7,470,611 times
We have an artesian well at home. The water goes through a ozone system to remove the hydrogen sulfide ( causes the sulfur smell), a solids filter and water softener before it gets into the house. I have no problems drinking it straight from the tap, but we put the drinking water through a Brita filter, my husband prefers it that way.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:18 PM

8,758 posts, read 3,810,740 times
Depended entirely on where I lived. For the past 30 years I've had my own wells except for my current house. Water is delivered and stored in an underground cistern. It is from a watershed a half mile away, minimally treated by the local municipality, and entirely potable. Anyone can get their testing and treatment protocol information at any time. I could have a well drilled but don't choose to spend the $ just to find out the resulting water isn't as good as the watershed's.

Every water source is different and water quality changes constantly over time. Most of my well water has needed softening to protect the boiler/plumbing/appliances. I installed RO kitchen sink filters in these houses but used the filtered water primarily for drinking/taste or for iron-sensitive birds. The rest of the house water was not filtered other than for sediment.

I don't buy water offered in single use disposable containers for any reason. I carry a reusable container with my own water. I don't support restaurants or other businesses that choose convenience plastic bottles and make a real effort to recycle what I can't avoid. There's more than enough garbage floating around the planet without me whining over less-than-perfect-but-safely potable water.

Filtration systems don't last forever. They use consumable components. Replace them. Test the water so you know what's in it. What's the problem? Just the way it works.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-20-2019 at 02:44 PM..

Old 12-20-2019, 02:30 PM

4,747 posts, read 1,395,732 times
We buy our water at the store from a vending machine. Our tap water is pretty much undrinkable, has a heavy chlorine taste, and other then Chlorine, is pretty flat. We pay $.40 per gallon of filtered water and go through a 5 gallon bottle about every week and a half. Except for having to pack around 40 lbs of water, it's a good deal.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Depended entirely on where I lived. For the past 30 years I've had my own wells except for my current house. Water is delivered and stored in an underground cistern. It is from a watershed a half mile away, minimally treated by the local municipality, and entirely potable. Anyone can get their testing and treatment protocol information at any time. I could have a well drilled but don't choose to spend the $ just to find out the resulting water isn't as good as the watershed's.

Every water source is different and water quality changes constantly over time. Most of my well water has needed softening to protect the boiler/plumbing/appliances. I installed RO kitchen sink filters in these houses but used the filtered water primarily for drinking/taste or for iron-sensitive birds. The rest of the house water was not filtered other than for sediment.

I don't buy water offered in single use disposable containers for any reason. I carry a reusable container with my own water. I don't support restaurants or other businesses that choose convenience plastic bottles and make a real effort to recycle what I can't avoid. There's more than enough garbage floating around the planet without me whining over less-than-perfect-but-safely potable water.

Filtration systems don't last forever. They use consumable components. Replace them. Test the water so you know what's in it. What's the problem? Just the way it works.
Yes, water is not created equally. It is very much environmentally affected. And I agree about not using the thin, small plastic bottles as there is far too many just "thrown aside" and if these bottles are in sunlight BPA leaching can occur.
As for our filter, it was 21 years old. All filters were replaced regularly as suggested but there comes a time when cost to replace supersedes the functionality and value of the system itself. We are going to be relocating in awhile so if we get a new system it will be in our next home.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:30 PM

7,922 posts, read 4,346,557 times
We have a well. The water tastes great right from the tap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness