U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 12:26 PM

4,456 posts, read 1,930,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Insurance companies here exist to make a profit. Healthcare systems and hospitals here are also for-profit. Therein lies the problem. Every, single study has shown that universal healthcare actually costs countries LESS than the system the US has in place now. The US gov't pays more per person for healthcare than countries that provide healthcare for everyone. It also costs each person in those countries LESS in taxes for that care then we currently pay in premiums, cp-pays, deductibles, etc.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cost...-ranked-2019-3

A couple months ago, I read an article in my hometown newspaper about how a certain healthcare system, which has a large presence there, saw profits go down. I was outraged. Why should a healthcare system be worried about profits?! And even though their profits went down, they still totaled over half a BILLION dollars. Do you have any idea how many people without insurance that could have helped?

The only reason our system still exists is because lawmakers are becoming rich(er) from it. Follow the money and you will see how much they make from insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, etc.
Don't I know it! Follow the money every time. That is why I am certain the U.S. is doomed to never have UHC---too many layers of profit built in. But hey! Great so many don't want it anyway.

But I don't want this to get political, which health care should never be.

I am just so struck by how thing work in other countries, even a developing one like this. Now that I've been in both systems. The care was comparable in both. Facilities similar. So nice to not worry about what secret charges are being snuck in.

Affordable health care was paramount in our retirement decision.

About the "best doctors"---this is an oft-repeated phrase, but who knows just how true it is. Anyway, unless it's a heart transplant, I don't demand the very best and doubt I ever got it in the U.S. anyway.

Just beneficial to take a look at how it's done in other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 01:40 PM

2,131 posts, read 980,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
First: don't believe everything you read
2; we all know those bills we get or see listed places like here are never the true amount that the doctors and hospitals really expect to get
3: if we were to end up with medicare for all, which I hope never happens, remember medicare right now is running about $140 per month per individual. If anyone thinks we are going to get free or close to free medical coverage for all families they need to re-think it. do you have any idea how many come to our country for medical treatment because we offer such good doctors?
The rest of Medicare is covered by the taxes on payroll. Moving to Medicare for all would require an increase in some sort of tax, but that's OK with me. Between me and my employer, insurance costs $1800 per month for a top notch plan. If it cost less than that for single payer, I would be OK with it.

Old 12-27-2019, 01:26 PM

11,909 posts, read 22,133,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Don't I know it! Follow the money every time. That is why I am certain the U.S. is doomed to never have UHC---too many layers of profit built in. But hey! Great so many don't want it anyway.

But I don't want this to get political, which health care should never be.

I am just so struck by how thing work in other countries, even a developing one like this. Now that I've been in both systems. The care was comparable in both. Facilities similar. So nice to not worry about what secret charges are being snuck in.

Affordable health care was paramount in our retirement decision.

About the "best doctors"---this is an oft-repeated phrase, but who knows just how true it is. Anyway, unless it's a heart transplant, I don't demand the very best and doubt I ever got it in the U.S. anyway.

My hub beat stage 4 tonsil cancer that was HPV positive. Friends of ours in Canada, the husband had the same cancer but he died. No thank you to UHC

Old 12-27-2019, 05:50 PM

2,131 posts, read 980,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My hub beat stage 4 tonsil cancer that was HPV positive. Friends of ours in Canada, the husband had the same cancer but he died. No thank you to UHC
Why do you think UHC caused the death of the friend? Did they deny appropriate coverage?

Old 12-28-2019, 09:47 AM

11,909 posts, read 22,133,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Why do you think UHC caused the death of the friend? Did they deny appropriate coverage?
He had to wait his turn to be seen or something like that. Couldn't just go to any cancer center like we can

Old 12-28-2019, 04:06 PM

378 posts, read 135,540 times
It is not that bad in metropolitan areas. Health services are centralized and patients are sent to whichever one hospital facility that is available. My neighbor had a heart surgery at VancouverGH some 10 years ago, and waited a year or two for a second surgery. Then he got a call that it could be done at VictoriaGH, and within 24 hours he and his wife left on a ferry for Vancouver Island.
A woman on chemo for breast cancer received treatments right away, when the disease was detected two months after she landed in Canada. She was even offered financial allowances because being new immigrants (she and her husband) they might need it.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:02 PM

1,365 posts, read 712,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I seriously would like to hear an answer to this. How is medical care only $80 a month/no deductibles in your country? Is someone/something subsidizing it? TIA!

Old 12-29-2019, 07:25 AM

4,876 posts, read 2,103,549 times
Quote:
He had to wait his turn to be seen or something like that. Couldn't just go to any cancer center like we can
If you think that is practical for most Americans, I must be missing something because cancer treatment is insanely expensive. Many areas have doctor shortages for any type of provider and people have to wait to be seen. If you can’t even get in to a PCP (because there are none) that is a far greater problem than “not being able to go to any cancer center”- which is relatively illusory since most people can’t afford to be treated anywhere they want.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:09 AM

5,610 posts, read 6,921,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The rest of Medicare is covered by the taxes on payroll. Moving to Medicare for all would require an increase in some sort of tax, but that's OK with me. Between me and my employer, insurance costs $1800 per month for a top notch plan. If it cost less than that for single payer, I would be OK with it.
Actually, every, single study has shown that what people pay in taxes to cover universal healthcare would actually be LESS than we pay now. So we would actually save money, and everyone would have coverage.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:13 AM

5,610 posts, read 6,921,471 times
Quote:
I know plenty of people here who died because of poor healthcare or no healthcare. Why do you think that doesn't happen just as frequently in the US? In particular, a friend's father literally died while waiting for his insurance company to approve a procedure. He had been waiting for 3 months at the time. But maybe that's what the insurance company was hoping for. At least they didn't have to pay for the procedure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or