U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 11:55 AM

19,221 posts, read 24,130,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Is gorging and mixing kinds of meat at the same meal healthy? Know someone who tends to gorge on two meals a day having at least a 2 course meal and/or different kinds of meat like chicken and steak. Their weight is ok and workout but they have high bp.
Meat is not healthy. Gorging isn't healthy. Mixing them? I have no idea.

Get off meat period. And don't gorge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 01:10 PM

607 posts, read 403,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Meat is not healthy. Gorging isn't healthy. Mixing them? I have no idea.

Get off meat period. And don't gorge.
Anything in excess is unhealthy. Not sure where you are getting that meat is unhealthy. Got any scientific evidence for your claim or is this just some pseudoscience you came up with?

Old 01-01-2020, 03:30 PM
Status: "Tickyul >>> ARRESTED for not having health-insurance!" (set 23 days ago)

17,368 posts, read 17,408,794 times
Gorging.......well, if they are maintaining a healthy weight, and not doing so by any insane means, like purging or exercising excessively, they could not be going that nutso.

Old 01-01-2020, 05:14 PM

8,851 posts, read 3,869,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Meat is not healthy.

Tripe!

Pick your definition. According to Oxford:

1. an edible lining of the second stomach of ruminant livestock, a type of organ meat.
2. nonsense, balderdash, gibberish, claptrap, of little to no value.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:24 AM

9,912 posts, read 3,381,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I don't think gorging regularly is healthy, regardless of what is being gorged.

But I can't see why two kinds of meat at the same meal would be a worse kind of gorging than gorging only on one kind of meat.

There may be some religious-based prohibitions about eating certain foods together, such as beef and milk. But I can't imagine why two different kinds of meat, if neither was harmful by itself, would be toxic when combined.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:47 AM

8,291 posts, read 3,033,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
That's creepy that you are obsessed with someone else's eating habits.

Many people eat pizza and wings in the same meal or a hotdog and burger at a cookout.

I'm not sure he/she is obsessed. Heck, if I saw a person eat 10 drum sticks, pizza and a sub at ONE meal...it'd grab my attention too. That's a LOT of food, at one sitting.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:59 PM

24,505 posts, read 29,535,356 times
It sounds as if the OP never heard of Brunswick stew. Yum!

Old 01-09-2020, 09:15 AM

8,487 posts, read 12,292,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Anything in excess is unhealthy. Not sure where you are getting that meat is unhealthy. Got any scientific evidence for your claim or is this just some pseudoscience you came up with?
Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say all meat, but there is definitely a helluva lot of scientific evidence that processed meat is unhealthy.

Several years ago, the World Health Organization classified processed meats including ham, bacon, salami and frankfurters as a Group 1 carcinogen (known to cause cancer) which means that there's strong evidence that processed meats cause cancer. Eating processed meat increases your risk of bowel and stomach cancer.

"Twenty-two experts from 10 countries reviewed more than 800 studies to reach their conclusions. They found that eating 50 grams of processed meat every day increased the risk of colorectal cancer by 18%. That’s the equivalent of about 4 strips of bacon or 1 hot dog. For red meat, there was evidence of increased risk of colorectal, pancreatic, and prostate cancer."

https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/w...es-cancer.html

Old 01-09-2020, 11:34 AM

607 posts, read 403,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say all meat, but there is definitely a helluva lot of scientific evidence that processed meat is unhealthy.
I'm not advocating that people stuff their faces with processed meat but main issue with the dichotomous (good/evil) view of foods is what leads to binges. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25903250/ Many studies show this. Is it better to have your diet from lean meats than processed meats? Of course, but to eat processed foods once in a while is not going to be "bad" for you.

Quote:
Several years ago, the World Health Organization classified processed meats including ham, bacon, salami and frankfurters as a Group 1 carcinogen (known to cause cancer) which means that there's strong evidence that processed meats cause cancer. Eating processed meat increases your risk of bowel and stomach cancer.

"Twenty-two experts from 10 countries reviewed more than 800 studies to reach their conclusions. They found that eating 50 grams of processed meat every day increased the risk of colorectal cancer by 18%. That’s the equivalent of about 4 strips of bacon or 1 hot dog. For red meat, there was evidence of increased risk of colorectal, pancreatic, and prostate cancer."

https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/w...es-cancer.html
A couple points here:

I wouldn't say it's STRONG evidence. The study itself states "the evidence is not conclusive." AND "limited evidence"

The WHO saying meat causes cancer only demonstrates that many scientists do not understand the difference between correlation and causation

Study has all correlational data, no mechanistic data

Eating anything at anytime increases cancer risk https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3193565/

The WHO study says there is 18% risk of cancer. That is a relative risk, which means you have to compare it to something. What the study really says is that people who eat low amounts of meat vs people who eat high amounts of meat you are talking about an absolute risk of colon cancer increasing from 5.6% to 6.6% increase risk. That is a 1% absolute risk increase. Do you know what the absolute risk increase is with smoking? 2,500% absolute risk with smoking

What are the other variables of this study could have contributed to the cancer? People who eat meat are more likely to smoke, not exercise, and over consume calories in general.

Can processed meat cause cancer? Possibly, but correlation alone does not equal causation.

Old Today, 09:14 AM

247 posts, read 41,686 times
Gorging on a regular basis is unhealthy.
Gorging when you have an eating disorder is unhealthy.
Gorging if you have a gastric illness or disorder is unhealthy.

Gorging at the company all-you-can-eat picnic once a year might make you puke if you gorge so much that your stomach rejects the excess, but is otherwise not going to cause any lasting damage or contribute to any illness not directly related to that particular episode of gorging.

Gorging on meat is going to be no different from gorging on anything else. Unhealthy if regular, if you have an eating disorder, if you have a gastric illness/disorder. Not significantly concerning if you do it on special occasions - banquet weddings, company picnic, Christmas dinner, yearly cruise-ship smorgasbord.

I gorge when I buy my yearly box of Girl Scout Thin Mints. The whole box, gone in an hour. I have not or ever been diagnosed with peppermint cancer so I think I'm good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness