Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:52 PM

605 posts, read 866,538 times

Advertisements

What about the fact of being totally serotonin depleted?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 01:14 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
There have been times in the past that I have FELT that way, not sure if in fact thats even posible.

I spent several hours in the sun yesterday and felt wonderful. Sunlight helps increase the amount of seritonin in your brain.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:40 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
There have been times in the past that I have FELT that way, not sure if in fact thats even posible.

I spent several hours in the sun yesterday and felt wonderful. Sunlight helps increase the amount of seritonin in your brain.
What else helps increase seratonin levels? Do you know, or maybe someone else knows?

Old 04-21-2008, 03:05 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,645,661 times
Fish oil increases serotonin and dopamine naturally, which improve mood and memory. Also lowers cholesterol. But stick with high quality pharmaceutical grade capsules at health food stores to avoid the fishy taste and be guaranteed the high level of DHA and EPA ingredients. Take with meals for proper digestion.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:19 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
What about the fact of being totally serotonin depleted?

Thoughts?
I know that 5 HTP is sold in heath food stores as it helps the body to create more Serotonin. I was reading about people on Atkins diets are low in Serotinin as Carbohydrates help produce this feel good neurotransmitter and so does Sunlight and Exercise as they can make you feel good also.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:31 PM

713 posts, read 2,717,296 times
From Wiki:Serotonin taken orally does not pass into the serotonergic pathways of the central nervous system because it does not cross the blood-brain barrier. However, tryptophan and its metabolite 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), from which serotonin is synthesized, can and do cross the blood-brain barrier. These agents are available as dietary supplements and may be effective serotonergic agents.

Now, having posted that, in laymans terms, you could have all the serotonin in the world, but if it isnt "jumping" across the synapse (from neuron to neuron?) then it isn't going to do u much good, hence the need for an SSRI.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 PM

OK...so does 5-HTP "jump" across the synapse? I took that about a year ago, it helped, Jarrow has one--2 tabs in the am on an empty stomach. I really prefer to go the holistic route vs. pharmaceutical---I have 'done' meds for soooooo long.
I will be lying in the sun this weekend 86 degrees. As well as going for a 30 minute walk everyday, try anyhoo.
Re: fish oils, I deliberately avoid those because of the fish burps.
Can Flaxseed oil be just as effective??

Old 04-21-2008, 10:31 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
What else helps increase seratonin levels? Do you know, or maybe someone else knows?
I take Paxil, its an SSRI or seritonin re uptake inhibitor which means it helps increase the amount of seritonin in your brain.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:03 PM

713 posts, read 2,717,296 times
Again, Wiki:SSRIs acts by inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin after being released in synapses.

Basically it is like this: serotonin is released from point A and has to travel across the synapse to point B. In some ppl's brains that doesnt happen very well. The serotonin gets reabsorbed (reuptake) back into point A. Celexa (or any SSRI) helps keep that from happening. I think that there used to be a Zoloft commercial that was a great illustration of this (the bouncy, round face).

Like I said before, your body may be creating all the serotonin in the world, but if it isn't traveling across the synapse then your serotonin isn't going to do u a bit of good.

Last edited by verynicebecky; 04-21-2008 at 11:18 PM..

Old 04-22-2008, 08:54 PM

Then that would explain why Suboxone helped me more than ANY antdepressant ever did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness