U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 07:33 AM

10,263 posts, read 7,478,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm taking 2000 mg vitamin c daily, plus a ton of prescribed antihistamines and breathing meds, so that masks symptoms when I catch a cold. I can tell I have one, but my husband doesn't notice, so I don't bother to tell him. If he knows I've got a cold, he'll start popping Sudafed like candy and blaming me for every little tickle in his throat.
Good idea. Then if he gets the cold before your symptoms show you can blame it on him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 10:31 AM

1,156 posts, read 337,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I think you're right and being in close proximity didn't help.

Wow - not sure I could keep up with that routine but maybe if it weren't for the remodeling gong on and being down to one bathroom and a queen sized bed.

It was a week from when he started having symptoms to when I started getting them. I'm pretty sure he passed it to me. I do think my precautions made it a lot less severe that it could have been.
Possibly, the cold virus has mutated while affecting him- so you were the beneficiary of a milder form?
Could have gone the other way- becoming worse for you...?

Old 01-01-2020, 11:45 AM

1,740 posts, read 3,258,493 times
The worst time for our family of four was when my DH was an Arm y Drill Sgt. Every DS came down with the "trainee crud" the first week of basic training.

Lemons were a hot commodity the entire time he was on the trail. The Comm and all the grocery stores around the installation never had lemons and we would have to go farther afield for the coveted lemons.

We passed the crud amongst our family if four several times before it would be conquered (usually we had a couple of weeks; just in time for the new cycle to begin).

Old 01-01-2020, 01:06 PM

3,941 posts, read 9,634,556 times
Interesting responses. I did a little research because a few things came up on here- like how long you are contagious. I found this:

"For colds, most individuals become contagious about a day before cold symptoms develop and remain contagious for about five to seven days."

That makes sense because last time DH got a cold, his brother came to see us and he was "getting over a cold" as he put it. He said don't worry I'm not contagious, but I think DH got it from him. I'm supposed to go to a birthday lunch on Friday and while I'm in the "getting over it" stage, I think I'll refrain from hugging or kissing my friends!

Old 01-01-2020, 01:11 PM

6,037 posts, read 2,373,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Dip the in rubbing alcohol, like my dad used to flea dip his hound dogs? LOLOLOLOL
How could you dip dogs in rubbing alcohol though? Tiny dogs or large vat of rubbing alcohol?

Old 01-01-2020, 01:56 PM

13,723 posts, read 14,084,353 times
take turns taking care of each other
commiserate, console, comfort

hot soup, lemon juice, lots of rest

the single biggest factor i have seen in not catching stuff from others is to simply stop shaking hands. ever. never. with anyone.
i worked at a medical clinic where they required this of all employees and put up signs everywhere so that patients would know this was for health reasons "no shaking hands" and not to be rude and don't be offended. It was amazing. everyone in the clinic, patients and employees, commented how it made a difference in not getting sick as often. That was a few jobs ago. I have done that ever since. If someone offers to shake hands i smile and wave instead and say "i work at a medical clinic and we are asked not to shake hands for the health of our patients." i personally like this for more than health reasons.

Old 01-01-2020, 02:06 PM

2,648 posts, read 3,497,160 times
We just had family over for the week of Christmas, and a virus was going around. My father is immunocompromised, and is at high risk for getting infections and complications. So when we just get a cold, he gets pneumonia instead and risks of hospitalization and death.

My Dad made it through Christmas and didn't catch the virus. I live with my father as his caregiver and didn't get it either

What do we do?

My father and I are already well trained that we always wash hand before eating/taking pills/food prep and keep hands away from our mouths. We get our flu shots and are up to date on pneumonia vaccinations.

Family that is coming to stay all get their flu shots at least a month before their visit.

We keep hand sanitizer at his front door. Any guest that enters the house cleans their hands. Every time you go out/come in, your clean your hands. If you sneeze/blow your nose/cough, AND ARE A GUEST... you cover your mouth and then wash your hands (hand sanitizer is fine). Every time. It becomes automatic after awhile.

We have someone who helps with cleaning once a week, and I frequently go through the house with a sterilizing cloth and wipe down the things frequently touched by hands - light switches, door knobs, sink controls/dials, remote controls, turn on/off buttons, and the few things my father touches frequently (walker hands/crutch handles etc..).

Old 01-01-2020, 02:13 PM

1,582 posts, read 517,276 times
I have bad year round allergies and probably blow my nose every 5 minutes. If I washed my hands every time they would be raw. We do avoid physical contact when sick.

Old 01-01-2020, 03:21 PM

228 posts, read 35,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
My husband came down with a nasty cold Christmas Eve. I started a regimen of various immune boosters and zinc lozenges, but I came down with it anyway. Fortunately mine seems to be very mild, but I’m wondering what other measures I could have taken. I washed my hands a lot and avoided drinking after him. Unfortunately, we are are in the middle of a master bath remodel so we're sharing the guest bed and bath.

How do you survive a family viral event?
What do I do? I buy my spouse some chicken soup and don't take it personally while he wallows in his misery until he's recovered.

I don't worry about him getting me sick, or me getting him sick. Life is way too short and precious to obsess over that stuff. You WILL at some point get sick. Odds are phenomenal that you will recover just fine, with or without diving head first into a vat of antibacterial goop.

Old 01-01-2020, 04:01 PM

10,263 posts, read 7,478,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
The worst time for our family of four was when my DH was an Arm y Drill Sgt. Every DS came down with the "trainee crud" the first week of basic training.

Lemons were a hot commodity the entire time he was on the trail. The Comm and all the grocery stores around the installation never had lemons and we would have to go farther afield for the coveted lemons.

We passed the crud amongst our family if four several times before it would be conquered (usually we had a couple of weeks; just in time for the new cycle to begin).
Another bad time is when you have kids that are just starting school. The kids become disease vectors and bring home every crud known to man that they've picked up from their classmates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or