U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 09:00 PM

27,298 posts, read 34,207,676 times

Advertisements

I don't think there is much you can do. My BF came down with some "crap", not the flu, and had a lingering cough for weeks and weeks. He finally went to the doc and they just gave him a generic "must be bronchitis" diagnosis. I caught something a few weeks later, but I had a fever and a distinctively worse case of whatever...and I had the damn lingering cough/drip for WEEKS, over TWO MONTHS before I got over it. Not the flu, not bronchitis, not pneumonia - went to the doc FOUR times for it. It was crazy. I don't know if I got some strain of what he had, but he never got the same crap that I had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 09:20 PM

13,923 posts, read 14,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
How could you dip dogs in rubbing alcohol though? Tiny dogs or large vat of rubbing alcohol?
He use flea dip, not rubbing alcohol. But if you filled a vat with either...

Old 01-01-2020, 09:33 PM

20,987 posts, read 19,934,142 times
I don't think there's much you can do except let it run its course. Bed rest is important. If it's a cold, the full blown symptoms are said to last three days IF you are resting and not trying to run around doing things.

When I was a kid we were put to bed and covered with a very warm down comforter, made to drink hot water with lemon in it, and told to "sweat it out." Feed a cold, starve a fever. Funny, but I talked to someone in Europe about what they did and they said something about sweat it through your skin. So the anecdotal consensus seems to be to keep very warm and even so warm that you sweat.

Last year when my husband got sick our Scottish neighbor brought over a hot toddy. I have no idea what it was but it contained alcohol and it was just exactly what my English husband wanted. I don't know if it did any good but maybe it warms you up somehow--who knows. Rest. Stay warm.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:46 PM

7,867 posts, read 13,321,288 times
I remember when growing up, if one of us came down with a virus, the sick one had a glass to use to get a drink sitting on the back of the sink. That way nobody else will use it.
If I come down with a virus now, I go upstairs away from my wife. She has a medical problem that entails several prescription medicines. If she gets sick and can't take her meds, it could put her in the hospital in bad shape. So I stay upstairs and will text her to warn her if I'm coming down to get something. And I'll spray some Lysol as I leave the kitchen. Thankfully, neither one of us has come down with anything like that for several years.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:43 AM

10,509 posts, read 6,169,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Last year when my husband got sick our Scottish neighbor brought over a hot toddy. I have no idea what it was but it contained alcohol and it was just exactly what my English husband wanted. I don't know if it did any good but maybe it warms you up somehow--who knows. Rest. Stay warm.
The whiskey helps you sleep, the hot water soothes your throat while sipping on it, the lemon gives you vitamin C and the honey helps with cough. It’s like taking robitussin, but a lot better for your health.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:22 AM

10,266 posts, read 7,478,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't think there's much you can do except let it run its course. Bed rest is important. If it's a cold, the full blown symptoms are said to last three days IF you are resting and not trying to run around doing things.

When I was a kid we were put to bed and covered with a very warm down comforter, made to drink hot water with lemon in it, and told to "sweat it out." Feed a cold, starve a fever. Funny, but I talked to someone in Europe about what they did and they said something about sweat it through your skin. So the anecdotal consensus seems to be to keep very warm and even so warm that you sweat.

Hot toddies. The version of these I recall from my childhood had rum, hot water, a little sugar (I think), and a pat of butter melted at the top of the cup. I always figured these didn't cure what ailed you but after drinking the toddy you didn't care.

And they DID warm you right up.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:52 AM

3,941 posts, read 9,634,556 times
I had a hot toddy last night - whisky, lemon, honey and hot water. Not sure if it cured what ailed me, but I sure felt better! Hubs said I was snoring too so must have knocked me out.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:49 PM

653 posts, read 282,328 times
I remember about 10 years ago, the hubs got a serious case of the flu. He was in bed and got up to throw up and did not make it to the bathroom. So he threw up on the bedroom carpet. I couldn't just leave it there and since there was a runny pile, I had to get a Tupperware container, a spoon, and kneel down and scoop it up (to dump in the toilet) before I could start cleaning. I knew I was going to get sick. When I was driving home from work that day, sure enough, I felt that yucky feeling start to come so I stopped at the CVS and picked up a couple of bottles of Theraflu for us both, called in to work to tell them I wouldn't be in the next few days and hunkered down with the poor fella.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:38 PM

6,132 posts, read 4,497,293 times
Every single day I take 1000 MG of Vitamin C. The last time I got a cold was 4 years ago. I'd been in a hospital for a consultation away from home, so I didn't have my vitamins with me.

IF I feel a cold coming on, I'll take one in the morning and one at night. (1000MG tablet 2 x daily)

Sometimes you can do everything right, like Vit C and washing your hands and wiping things down with sanitizer products and you still get sick. It sucks, but that's life.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:41 PM

6,132 posts, read 4,497,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I had a hot toddy last night - whisky, lemon, honey and hot water. Not sure if it cured what ailed me, but I sure felt better! Hubs said I was snoring too so must have knocked me out.
I like a hot buttered rum drink. (Rum, hot water, honey, cinnamon, and a dab of butter melted on top) Yummy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or