Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 02:30 PM

530 posts, read 174,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Actually, there have been studies that show they are effective:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5949172/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That's an excellent article, with science you can really sink your teeth into. Thanks for posting it. Very well worth taking the time to read it. I haven't finished reading it, but surely will do so later.
It's got a lot of very interesting information! Thanks for sharing, CarnivalGal.

I'm glad that I keep all four of the supplements mentioned on hand (vitamin C, vitamin D3, zinc and Echinacea). Although I take the first two religiously, occasionally I like to take a zinc lozenge and rarely, Echinacea. It appears that taking a couple or more of them regularly is the key to staying well, especially for those who are susceptible.

It's great to no longer get illnesses every year like Europeans (and most Americans):

Quote:
"In European populations, adults have between 2 and 5 infections annually and children typically present 6 to 12 “colds” per year, and rates of symptomatic infections increase in the elderly"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 03:31 PM

37,094 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That would be cool if I was immune to it but I’ve had norovirus before.

https://blogs.plos.org/collections/w...iting-disease/

"In the Caucasian population about 20% of individuals are non-secretors and thus strongly protected from the most common strains of norovirus."

Old 01-06-2020, 03:56 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
https://blogs.plos.org/collections/w...iting-disease/

"In the Caucasian population about 20% of individuals are non-secretors and thus strongly protected from the most common strains of norovirus."
Interesting that my daughter who had it two previous times didn’t get it the third time when she took the oil of oregano. I know that you are anti anything that’s considered alternative health and desperately want to discount our experience.

I already mentioned before your first post on this that I could have some natural immunity but will continue to keep some on hand just in case because it’s not hurting anyone. Can you just drop it already?

Old 01-06-2020, 04:10 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,487,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
My husband came down with a nasty cold Christmas Eve. I started a regimen of various immune boosters and zinc lozenges, but I came down with it anyway. Fortunately mine seems to be very mild, but I’m wondering what other measures I could have taken. I washed my hands a lot and avoided drinking after him. Unfortunately, we are are in the middle of a master bath remodel so we're sharing the guest bed and bath.

How do you survive a family viral event?
Go to a hotel.

Old 01-06-2020, 05:29 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Adequate vitamin D levels don't prevent people from getting sick with virii.
Vitamin D does offer some protection against flu and cold viruses. Please refer the the link I posted earlier from the National Institute of Health. Here's some more info:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0216110002.htm

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...-cold-and-flu/

Old 01-06-2020, 07:29 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,685,373 times
I can handle a common cold, a sinus infection, whatever. Throw me a sore throat, stuffy nose and a headache anyday of the week. But I CANNOT handle the winter vomiting virus. That bug throws me for a freakin loop! If I learn that someone around me has that, I practically run for the hills. No. Thank. YOU. Miss me with that times ten! That one is the worst!! I'll take a proper 3 or 4 week cough and cold over a 48 hour stomach flu.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:21 PM

1,056 posts, read 724,152 times
My advice:
--Avoid those infected as much as possible.
--If you can't completely avoid them, at least don't touch them, share a bed with them nor stay with them for extended periods.
--Disinfect the parts of the house you'll spend the most time in. Clean your phone, headset, keyboard, etc. (but NOT with water!). Wash your hands after leaving any non-disinfected part of the house.
--Replace all toothbrushes once the contagion passes.
--Wash your hands every two hours, after using the bathroom (you should do this anyways!), after touching soil and before eating.
--Shower daily while the contagion lasts, as opposed to 3-4 times a week normally.
--If you're seeing (a) friend(s) and/or your romantic partner, plan to do it somewhere that isn't your home if possible.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:22 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times
Quote:
"In European populations, adults have between 2 and 5 infections annually and children typically present 6 to 12 “colds” per year, and rates of symptomatic infections increase in the elderly"
That seems like a LOT of colds. I would say I average one cold every year or two. Granted, my kids are now older teens who don't really bring home a lot of germs (they probably each get an average of one cold per year now). We don't do anything in particular other than taking extra vitamin C if we are going to a crowded place during cold/flu season and getting annual flu shots (which doesn't prevent colds, of course). Getting 5 colds per year would be miserable, ugh.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:05 AM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times
It's been a wild winter with family. About a month ago infant grandson came down with a norovirus, which then both his parents caught.

A week later younger daughter and her sons were visiting us. Three year old threw up while here. That went through her entire family, as well as my husband. I used disposable gloves and scarf around my nose to clean up grandson and was his clothes. When my husband caught it, I again used the gloves doing his wash. Clorox wiped everything he came into contact with. I did not catch it.

Then for Christmas we went to older daughter's house for dinner. Her in-laws with their three teenage kids were there from another state, SIL, and both sets of grandparents. Older SIL first got sick with that norovirus after dinner. Then her teens. Within 2 days everyone, except the baby and both sets of grandparents, also can down with it. The very old and the very young were immune? That is a total of seven people who caught that norovirus from Christmas day.

Infant grandson was held by everyone there, but he did not catch it again. However, he did have a bad cold at the time. Can you have a cold and norovirus together? Maybe not. I DID catch my grandson's cold. As another poster said, I would rather have a 2 or 3 week cold than that 2 day norovirus. You can function with a cold. It is actually feels better being up and moving around with a cold than laying in bed. Going outside in the cold fresh air, shoveling snow, feels good and clears the sinus.

Husband hasn't caught my cold after 2 and a half weeks. He drinks hot green tea with honey every night after dinner. Maybe that helps to prevent a cold?

Old 01-08-2020, 10:12 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
That seems like a LOT of colds. I would say I average one cold every year or two. Granted, my kids are now older teens who don't really bring home a lot of germs (they probably each get an average of one cold per year now). We don't do anything in particular other than taking extra vitamin C if we are going to a crowded place during cold/flu season and getting annual flu shots (which doesn't prevent colds, of course). Getting 5 colds per year would be miserable, ugh.
I agree.

Do average people really get sick THAT often?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness