Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 08:27 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Every single day I take 1000 MG of Vitamin C. The last time I got a cold was 4 years ago. I'd been in a hospital for a consultation away from home, so I didn't have my vitamins with me.

IF I feel a cold coming on, I'll take one in the morning and one at night. (1000MG tablet 2 x daily)

Sometimes you can do everything right, like Vit C and washing your hands and wiping things down with sanitizer products and you still get sick. It sucks, but that's life.
That's why I don't obsess or fret about it. I wash my hands after the bathroom and when I'm cooking or cleaning the litter box, and that's about it. I don't sanitize stuff, I don't waste money on cold preventives. If it's "my turn" to get sick, I'll be sick and there is no supplement or ritual or cleaning solution in the world that will prevent it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 12:36 PM

530 posts, read 175,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Every single day I take 1000 MG of Vitamin C. The last time I got a cold was 4 years ago. I'd been in a hospital for a consultation away from home, so I didn't have my vitamins with me.

IF I feel a cold coming on, I'll take one in the morning and one at night. (1000MG tablet 2 x daily)
I take 1,000 mg of vitamin C in the morning and at night and this basically put an end to frequent flus and most colds for over two decades. Adding 5,000 IUs of vitamin D3 put an end to most colds too. If I do happen to rarely catch one I mainly have a slightly stuffy nose, instead of the miserable running faucet symptoms I used to suffer.

So, I don't care if anyone near me gets sick; I'm glad I'm healthy enough to help take care of them.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:49 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abderian View Post
I take 1,000 mg of vitamin C in the morning and at night and this basically put an end to frequent flus and most colds for over two decades. Adding 5,000 IUs of vitamin D3 put an end to most colds too. If I do happen to rarely catch one I mainly have a slightly stuffy nose, instead of the miserable running faucet symptoms I used to suffer.

So, I don't care if anyone near me gets sick; I'm glad I'm healthy enough to help take care of them.
I was telling a friend about my routine - 1000 mg Vit C, zinc lozenges, Vitamin D and Elderberry lozenges (this time they also had syrup). She scoffed at my suggestions and said there were no medical studies to prove any of that worked. When I told her that it worked for me, she said it was probably just the placebo effect.

Of course there are no medical studies - who would fund a study to find out that cheap vitamins, minerals and herbs have any benefit? Certainly not the pharmaceutical companies. My husband had a holistic GP many years ago who advised him to use elderberry lozenges for a cold. We had to go to a specialty pharmacy to find them back then and they were $17 but they did help him recover faster.

I'm mostly better as of today so it took about 5 days to run its course and my symptoms were pretty mild overall. Not sure I can avoid getting his germs, but at least I can minimize the impact.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:59 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I was telling a friend about my routine - 1000 mg Vit C, zinc lozenges, Vitamin D and Elderberry lozenges (this time they also had syrup). She scoffed at my suggestions and said there were no medical studies to prove any of that worked. When I told her that it worked for me, she said it was probably just the placebo effect.

Of course there are no medical studies - who would fund a study to find out that cheap vitamins, minerals and herbs have any benefit? Certainly not the pharmaceutical companies. My husband had a holistic GP many years ago who advised him to use elderberry lozenges for a cold. We had to go to a specialty pharmacy to find them back then and they were $17 but they did help him recover faster.

I'm mostly better as of today so it took about 5 days to run its course and my symptoms were pretty mild overall. Not sure I can avoid getting his germs, but at least I can minimize the impact.
There are some studies that show the benefit of elderberry. Here’s one. https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0423133644.htm

There is also evidence that vitamin D can help. Just one article. https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...-cold-and-flu/

Old 01-04-2020, 09:06 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I would love to think that taking 1000 mg of vitamin C prevents colds - I take it daily, but I still caught my husbands cold. The upside is that it was not as severe and it didn't last very long.

We are a family of six and we have been through a norovirus outbreak twice. There aint much you can do accept face the fact that you will be puking at some point!

Old 01-04-2020, 09:19 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I would love to think that taking 1000 mg of vitamin C prevents colds - I take it daily, but I still caught my husbands cold. The upside is that it was not as severe and it didn't last very long.

We are a family of six and we have been through a norovirus outbreak twice. There aint much you can do accept face the fact that you will be puking at some point!
There is some evidence that oil of oregano kills norovirus.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:24 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I am all for the placebo effect! It is the truth, it works, look at any drug study and you will see how many people are better because of the placebo effect and not the medication.

We have 7 extra family members living with us right now, they all recently went through some vomiting illness and then they all got severe flu. Knock on wood, my husband and I didn't catch either.

A couple of days we drank oj with elderberry syrup, but seriously, we have a mantra where we tell each other "don't get sick". Scoff if you will, but that's what we do.

We never use the antibacterial soaps or cleansers, I take vitamins about 1/3 of the time I remember, my husband eats 1/2 of a grapefruit every morning, we may sniff some essential oils now and then. We're with the public 7 days a week.

We also try not to touch our face when others are sick, just common sense.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:13 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I wash my hands a lot and spray any services the sick person has touched with Lysol. Then I use alcohol on a cotton round to wipe down the remote or anything he/she may have touched. After I had my thyroid removed I was having some breathing issues if I caught a cold so I went as far as wearing a face mask when my granddaughter was sick.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:29 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post

And hope that the porcelain throne will be available when you need it.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:48 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I am all for the placebo effect! It is the truth, it works, look at any drug study and you will see how many people are better because of the placebo effect and not the medication.

We have 7 extra family members living with us right now, they all recently went through some vomiting illness and then they all got severe flu. Knock on wood, my husband and I didn't catch either.

A couple of days we drank oj with elderberry syrup, but seriously, we have a mantra where we tell each other "don't get sick". Scoff if you will, but that's what we do.

We never use the antibacterial soaps or cleansers, I take vitamins about 1/3 of the time I remember, my husband eats 1/2 of a grapefruit every morning, we may sniff some essential oils now and then. We're with the public 7 days a week.

We also try not to touch our face when others are sick, just common sense.
I'm a believer in the placebo effect too. IMO, that mind over matter connection is amazing! Who cares if it's the elderberry syrup/Vitamin C tabs, etc or your firm belief that these will work (which could activate cytokines or other portions of the immune system to fight the illness), if it relieves symptoms, shortens the illness or makes you better, you have accomplished
the mission. .

I've read that when handwashing is done properly, regular soap gets rid of just as many germs as the antibacterial kind. I don't use antimicrobial soap as I figure these contribute to the growing problem of microbial antibiotic/antiseptic resistance, and it's not needed anyway.

All I can caution, based on my own sad experience, is never to brag to others how you never get sick, or it's been (xx) number of years since you've had a cold/flu/GI illness. I've found that after I make that claim, crowing loudly to those within hearing range how absolutely healthy I am, within a couple-few days I will come down with a doozy of a cold, bronchitis or something. I theorize that in bragging like I have done, I've angered the gods of pestilence, and they've smitten me.

So don't brag about your good health. Or to me it seems even mention it out loud, as those gods look at that as a challenge too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness