U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2020, 06:16 PM

7,037 posts, read 5,442,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
OTOH, being exposed to viruses and bacteria could also keep your immune system functioning well and "up to date" too!
Exactly. I caught a respiratory bug, possibly on the bus (or at the grocery store), which put me down for about ten days, but I'm over it now and shouldn't get sick from that same bug again.

How, many times have you heard, "He wasn't sick a day in his life, until he got sick, and died."

I found, when I got rid of my car and started relying on transit, that I ended up walking a LOT more, dropping about 20 pounds.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 04:54 AM

10,659 posts, read 9,174,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah-ghr View Post
Honestly, I tell people who have health problems to ride the bus. They don't have to stop driving or sell their car but just ride instead of driving sometimes. It forces you to exercise and workout. What if you lived 3.7 miles away from work? Would you still walk?
We're both retired. Only if it was very cold and raining. I've ridden enough buses.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:20 AM

11,621 posts, read 9,107,469 times
No way to truly parse out that data based on simple parameters of bus riders vs car drivers.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:42 AM

10,659 posts, read 9,174,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah-ghr View Post
Honestly, I tell people who have health problems to ride the bus. They don't have to stop driving or sell their car but just ride instead of driving sometimes. It forces you to exercise and workout. What if you lived 3.7 miles away from work? Would you still walk?
Actually, no. I would use a bicycle.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:59 AM

5,096 posts, read 2,587,467 times
its the difference 'tween taking the stairs and taking the elevator.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:25 PM

3,404 posts, read 3,358,461 times
Exclamation Taking public transit is a great way to catch the flu, etc and those are pretty significant killers of older folk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
its the difference 'tween taking the stairs and taking the elevator.
More likely the difference between taking the escalator, and taking the elevator.

While taking public transit might involve more physical effort, it also might not, and it's a lot more passive mentally than driving.

Much depends on whether you count automobile accidents (fatal or otherwise) as a "health problem", though the only person I know personally who died in an auto accident was struck by a car immediately after stepping off a bus and crossing in front of it...

Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM

14,278 posts, read 9,539,522 times
2 years ago I was driving everyday to work. I had more issues with my knees and foot. Now I've commute by train and walk atleast one hour total to and from work my knee and foot problems are nearly gone after one year of doing this. I do believe that sitting and performing repetitive stop and go type movement is not good for your limbs.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

4,536 posts, read 7,392,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesux View Post
why, public transportation will put you in close proximity to much more disease and illness on a regular basis.
And crazies.

Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM

199 posts, read 77,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
2 years ago I was driving everyday to work. I had more issues with my knees and foot. Now I've commute by train and walk atleast one hour total to and from work my knee and foot problems are nearly gone after one year of doing this. I do believe that sitting and performing repetitive stop and go type movement is not good for your limbs.
Awesome! I love hearing stories like this! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness