U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2020, 11:23 PM

10,349 posts, read 6,808,841 times

Advertisements

https://www.inquirer.com/health/expe...-20191231.html

Pretty interesting list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 05:27 AM

3,230 posts, read 1,264,107 times
??? Nothing really new there. We've known for many years that ASA & stenting are not nearly as helpful as they would have us believe. Night-time BP meds are only 3% better in preventing bad outcomes, and that's just barely statistically significant. We've known for yrs that eggs aren't bad (may actually be good) for us. For every study showing a benefit to taking fish oil, there's one opposing it.

The valve replacement by catheterization technology is improving & experience increasing. Now they've done the studies showing more people are eligible for it. Good.

The Apple Watch innovation remains to show us its clinical value. I'm bettin' more harm will come from it than good in terms of producing more health anxiety and leading to unneeded procedures, risks & expenses.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:54 AM

1,025 posts, read 770,431 times
I found his last item particularly interesting:
Quote:
Take your blood pressure medications at night. I have always suggested that patients take their blood pressure medications first thing in the morning. This has been the doctrine for years, as we know that people are more active in the early part of the day. It seemed that you would get the most bang for the buck by taking meds early. But a recent study suggests that evening use of blood pressure medications is optimal. Proven through an ambulatory blood pressure monitor, more sensitive than home or office-based checks, this finding is a simple and effective way to better control blood pressure without more medication. The one exception is if you are taking a diuretic, which increases urination. This is still best taken in the morning so you are not up all night
And from the link to the study:
Quote:
Routine ingestion by hypertensive patients of ≥1 prescribed BP-lowering medications at bedtime, as opposed to upon waking, results in improved ABP control (significantly enhanced decrease in asleep BP and increased sleep-time relative BP decline, i.e. BP dipping) and, most importantly, markedly diminished occurrence of major CVD events.
Haven't considered this idea before. My concern is that when people sleep, that is typically when their blood pressure is at it's lowest point anyway, so it makes me wonder if taking your BP medication at night, combined with your body naturally having lower BP during sleep may be a double whammy and induce hypotension to a point. But maybe not.

Also it makes me wonder if the medication would be less effective during the daytime when it is needed more often due to stressors, food consumption with possible sodium levels increasing BP, etc. and if it would not pack as much punch because the medications half life and quarter life had already been reached.

Also intriguing that it states it could increase sleep-time, and resulted in a markedly diminished occurrence of CVD events.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:17 AM

3,230 posts, read 1,264,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post

Also intriguing that it states it could increase sleep-time, and resulted in a markedly diminished occurrence of CVD events.

The results are presented in the abstract of that single paper in a very awkward (?deceptive) way. I re-arranged them and found there was only a 3% difference in outcomes, and that was just barely statistically significant at that.

IF it's really true, it may be due to the fact that there's usually a morning surge of BP as we get up & going for the day (higher incidence of MI & hemorrhagic cva in the AM). If you took your pills in the AM, your blood levels of drug would be lowest then and presumably less effective until the new day's dose were absorbed and raised levels again.

I rather doubt that the phenomenon is important, given that most nasty events are not the result of a single surge in BP, but are due to the long term stress of hi BP.

BTW- thrombotic CVAs (easily the most commo), are caused by the sludging & clotting of blood while we sleep and our circulation slows down. The study didn't differentiate between types of strokes. I wonder if bed-time dosing leads to an increase in those types?

Old 01-03-2020, 06:12 AM

284 posts, read 202,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Why the picture showing the keto diet, when he doesn't talk about it.

I started on that diet two years ago and lost 45 lbs.

At a recent physical my doctor noted my cholesterol ratio went from 5.5 to 3.5

My triglycerides dropped from 111 to 57.

I eat three eggs and three strips of bacon everyday for breakfast, sometimes an avocado as well.

I don't eat again until dinner around 7pm.

At least one sometimes two days a week I only eat an evening meal.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:58 AM

73,716 posts, read 86,174,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post

I eat three eggs and three strips of bacon everyday for breakfast, sometimes an avocado as well.

Very interesting diet and I too had wondered why the picture was there but no mention of diet or foods period. The one thing that did surprise me was the BP meds at night time instead of morning.

I always find these studies interesting but also realize they are usually one or two peoples findings and not always that meaningful. I course most of us understand this and do not have to be reminded they are just opinions .

Old 01-03-2020, 11:40 AM

223 posts, read 73,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post

Solid plan! Well done!

People that claim, "I can't lose weight" would be wise to adopt your diet.

Old 01-03-2020, 01:49 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,354,941 times
Some of us have cardiac meds morning and evening.Twice a day.

Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

8,486 posts, read 12,287,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
We've known for yrs that eggs aren't bad (may actually be good) for us.
Nope. That changed - again - last year with the publishing of a study of 30,000 people over a 10-30 year period.

"The research is a new analysis of six previous studies that included nearly 30,000 Americans. Those studies all took written snapshots of participants’ diets and then followed them forward in time. In some cases, people in the studies were followed for between 10 and 30 years.

They found that eating just half an egg a day was linked to a 6%-8% increased risk of having a heart attack, stroke, or early death over the course of the study, compared to someone who didn’t eat eggs. What’s more, the more eggs a person ate, the more those risks increased. People in the study who averaged an egg every day saw their risk of a heart-related event such as a heart attack or stroke increase by 12% compared to someone who didn’t eat eggs. Those who averaged two eggs every day had a 24% increased risk of heart-related events.
"

https://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-ma...ol-enemy-again

Now while these results aren't as bad as they sound and may not even be clinically meaningful, (they increased one's relative risk of early death by only 1% or 2%), the consumption of eggs certainly couldn't be considered a healthy addition to one's diet.

Old Today, 10:36 PM

1,043 posts, read 616,705 times
I disagree. So, if you are healthy, have low cholesterol, not obese, healthy diet and exercise regularly, yet have a 95% blockage in the LAD, you should NOT have a stent? Apparently diet and exercise will not help this. Do you just take a chance that fate will keep the additional 5% from happening? This happened to someone I know personally. Pretty sure the stent saved their life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or