U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 07:29 PM

3,314 posts, read 3,423,687 times

Advertisements

I thought this was interesting and is something many people are unaware of.

Link here
Quote:
“Food structure,” not just nutrient composition, may be “critical for optimal health.” It should come as no surprise that cornflakes and Rice Krispies cause a much greater spike in blood sugars than rice or corn-on-the-cob; but it’s not just the added sugar. “Even with identical [ingredients], food structure can make a major difference…” For example, if you compare the absorption of fat from peanuts, compared to the exact same number of peanuts ground into peanut butter, you flush more than twice the amount of fat down the toilet when you eat the peanuts themselves, since no matter how well you chew, small bits of peanuts trap some of that oil makes it down to your colon. And, “the physical form of food” not only alters fat absorption, but carbohydrate absorption as well.

For example, rolled oats have a significantly lower glycemic index than instant oatmeal, which is just oats, but in thinner flakes. And, oat flakes cause lower blood sugar and insulin spikes than powdered oats. Same single ingredient: oats, but in different forms can have different effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 03:03 AM

7,080 posts, read 11,052,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I thought this was interesting and is something many people are unaware of.

Link here
Yes, interesting, but still sounds like foods in their natural state (whole foods) are better than processed "foods" with lots of artificial ingredients added. So the ingredients are not the same, in spite of what is written in the article.

Yet many people are unaware of that too.

Last edited by bale002; 01-09-2020 at 03:23 AM..

Old 01-09-2020, 12:05 PM

624 posts, read 405,380 times
Hmm I'm unaware of any studies that say that food structure could be critical for optimal health. I'm skeptical.

Is the lower glycemic index from rolled oats vs instant oatmeal going to make a big difference in health? Not what the evidence says.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25514303

Old 01-09-2020, 01:18 PM

5,601 posts, read 6,770,109 times
I think we are splitting hairs at this point. I eat instant plain oats every morning because I don't have the time or desire to wait around for regular oats to cook, or the hassle of clean up that it entails. They keep me full and powered through my morning workout. That is all I care about.
Peanuts vs peanut butter? C'mon. I eat peanuts AND peanut butter - one is a small snack, the other is on a sandwich.

You know what really bugs me about these studies? Is that people take them seriously and then feel they are not eating the way they really 'should' be eating and then get frustrated and give up.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:09 PM

21,065 posts, read 19,995,174 times
I think it's interesting and maybe it's true, maybe not. I did read an article somewhere recently about the different forms of oats and what they're saying sounds familiar. They said the best thing for oats was either the whole grain or the steel cut. Eat one kind one day and the other kind another day because each form had different benefits.

Just found this article about the different forms of oats. I know the one I like best: the Scottish stone ground porridge, nice and creamy. But this article seems to prefer the rolled oats because the process stabilizes the healthy fats.

https://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole...in-month/types

Old 01-09-2020, 04:58 PM

3,314 posts, read 3,423,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z
Hmm I'm unaware of any studies that say that food structure could be critical for optimal health. I'm skeptical.
The really good thing about that site is that he bases his comments on scientific data and papers which he has read, then he sites the sources.

Further down the page there are tabs you can click which will give you the transcript of the video, the sources which he used to make the video. See screenshot below:

Old 01-10-2020, 02:47 AM

7,080 posts, read 11,052,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post

You know what really bugs me about these studies? Is that people take them seriously ...
Since the diffusion of mass media, we have so many "scientists", "studies", "statistics", "truths" and "justice" for all etc. that indeed very few of them deserve to be taken seriously, but people do it anyway ...

... Makes for entertaining/annoying food fights!

Old 01-10-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
The really good thing about that site is that he bases his comments on scientific data and papers which he has read, then he sites the sources.

Further down the page there are tabs you can click which will give you the transcript of the video, the sources which he used to make the video. See screenshot below:
Thanks, I found them but unfortunately the entire texts of most of those studies are behind paywalls. Wish I could see the actual data but from the initial abstracts I really didn't see anything talking about how blood health markers improved from eating one type of food vs another. What they are really highlighting is that one type of food will make you fuller and less hungry than another type of food. I'm still not convinced of the optimal health claim.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You know what really bugs me about these studies? Is that people take them seriously and then feel they are not eating the way they really 'should' be eating and then get frustrated and give up.
People give up and get frustrated on a restrictive diet because they pick a diet that doesn't work for them and is not sustainable. I think if more people chose a diet without cutting out entire food groups they would be less likely to binge and continue on their yo-yo dieting.

I don't think it's because most people take studies seriously. Most people don't even know how to read and interpret the data from a study.

Old 01-10-2020, 04:35 PM

33,721 posts, read 21,420,534 times
I listen to Dr. Greger and he talked about this. The more you process the less "wholesome" it becomes. So if you take steel cut oats, quick oats and oat flour, the sugar spike increases for the less "whole" the oat is.

It was also seen with blending fruits into a smoothie IIRC.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness