U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2020, 12:55 AM

7,420 posts, read 6,987,662 times

Advertisements

I have uneven temporalis muscles. It is the muscles that above the ears, and behind the eyes. When you clench you jaws, you can feel it tense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_muscle

What I mean is that the temporalis on the left side of my head reaches up higher, than the one on my right side, on the side of my head. I have an assymetrical head because of this. It causes my hair line to be uneven.

I usually had longer hair growing up, so not very noticeable. But now I am shaving it, and is more noticeable.

What do you call this? Is this an abnormality? Do I have some kind of deficiency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 03:19 PM

8,871 posts, read 3,874,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I have uneven temporalis muscles. It is the muscles that above the ears, and behind the eyes. When you clench you jaws, you can feel it tense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_muscle

What I mean is that the temporalis on the left side of my head reaches up higher, than the one on my right side, on the side of my head. I have an assymetrical head because of this. It causes my hair line to be uneven.

I usually had longer hair growing up, so not very noticeable. But now I am shaving it, and is more noticeable.

What do you call this? Is this an abnormality? Do I have some kind of deficiency?
Most beings are not anatomically symmetrical. Legs, arms, digits, distance between the eyes, etc. not exactly identical. Probably born that way...congenital. That being said, no one here could tell. The next time you go to a dentist you might ask them about it.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:45 PM

7,420 posts, read 6,987,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Most beings are not anatomically symmetrical. Legs, arms, digits, distance between the eyes, etc. not exactly identical. Probably born that way...congenital. That being said, no one here could tell. The next time you go to a dentist you might ask them about it.
I dont think has anything to do with Dentist. The muscle is connected to jaw, but is high up the head. What do you call a head doctor.

Old 01-11-2020, 02:21 PM

8,871 posts, read 3,874,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I dont think has anything to do with Dentist. The muscle is connected to jaw, but is high up the head. What do you call a head doctor.
But a dentist needs to be educated about the musculature and nerves that affect jaw function...and that includes the temporalis muscle. Muscles all over your head affect your jaw and face. If there's no functional problem with your jaw, what IS the problem? If you don't like the asymmetrical appearance, grow your hair out again. Either that or keep flaunting it.

Old Today, 04:18 PM

3,244 posts, read 1,268,101 times
You're obviously quite concerned (and maybe fed up) with this situation, and want to do something about it....Brave Stoicism has its limits.

You could "hide it" somehow. For example, fashion experts are always advising women on how to dress to camouflage their undesirable body shapes-- "Always ask for vertical stripes on your prison jump suit-- they're slenderizing."

You could surgically correct problems. Eg- nose jobs, liposuction, etc. You may want to consult a plastic surgeon-- particularly one who has experience in dealing with trauma victims (as opposed to the Hollywood types who only do face lifts & nose jobs). They have dealt with the more sever problems of crushed skulls and such.

Ask your PCP or call the referral service at the hospital. Enquire about a re-constructive plastic surgeon.

Good luck with it. It's not hopeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or