Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 05:19 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
….. To the other poster, aspirin is horrible for children due to Reye’s syndrome. Tylenol is really the best for fever... .

Excellent point. Parents beware.

ALL NSAIDS can affect the liver & kidneys & cause peptic problems. Each one has a different propensity to do so. Tt also depends on your personal susceptibility to it.

Occasional, single doses probably won't cause any problems (except ASA in those with von Willebrand's Disease.) None of them are seriously hepato- or nephro-toxic except with prolonged usage or very large doses. Chronic usage can cause water retention, so best avoided with CHF or HTN.

All of them are used for [1] pain relief [2] anti-inflammation and [3] as an antipyretic (in fever).

Tylenol (acetaminophen) is good for fever, has NO anti-inflammatory effects and only ~1 in 4 pts (25%) find them to be a good pain reliever. If it relieves YOUR pain, then it's 100% effective for YOU.

Back to the OP: Diagnosis is very important-- do you have a bone metastasis or just an over-use syndrome from using the TV remote too much, or something in between?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 01:46 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It does in the form of Excedrin. The mixture with aspirin is the only thing that works for my headaches. Aspirin alone doesn't. Ibuprofen doesn't. No idea how much of a role the caffeine plays.

I know it isn't good for my liver, but IDK what else to do when a headache won't go away.
Caffeine speeds up metabolism/absorption of the analgesics. It can make a significant difference in how effective they are so less is required to ease the pain you are trying to treat, particularly headaches. One source I read somewhere said as much as 40% but I didn't research that further. Many headaches are caused by blood vessel dilation. Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor. I have used Excedrin Migraine for mine for decades. Nothing else worked as well for me. Of course part of that is probably placebo effect (I expect it to work, so it does). Using something like Excedrin occasionally isn't going to kill your liver. Using multiple doses of it every day certainly could.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:37 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Tylenol is really a terrible analgesic. On so many levels. It is hepatotoxic and it really doesn't work.

I survived St. Joseph baby aspirin as a child. My children were never given Tylenol as children. I think it's a really bad drug. Their pediatrician actually agreed with me.

Your doctor does not exactly sound like a a gem. In fact, he sounds insensitive to your needs and just horrible.

Please search for a new doctor. Also, I have no idea why you have finger pain or what happened to cause it. If your current doctor is unresponsive, go to a hospital and have your finger treated. If it is treated, you may no longer be in pain.
Actually I find tylenol ( generic- acetominophen) to be a very good pain reliever, I've used it for post surgical pain, to headaches, to minor joint pains. I generally use take two 500 mg Extra strength tablets when I need them ( not every day) and these work like a champ to relieve those pains. You just have to be careful not to exceed the daily recommended doses, as acetominophen can cause liver damage if taken in access.

One can also take NSAIDs such as aspirin, naproxen, or ibupropen, being careful ( as with any medication), not to exceed recommended doses, and not to take these on an empty stomach ( may cause GI bleeding). Or, I've heard it suggested that one could take lower doses of each, for example, an acetominophen tablet and an ibupropen tablet together to relieve pain.

Tylenol absolutely is NOT a terrible analgesic, taken in appropriate doses.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:53 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It does in the form of Excedrin. The mixture with aspirin is the only thing that works for my headaches. Aspirin alone doesn't. Ibuprofen doesn't. No idea how much of a role the caffeine plays.

I know it isn't good for my liver, but IDK what else to do when a headache won't go away.
That mixture always worked well for the miserable headaches I get sometimes. It even often worked to ward off migraines when I felt one coming on, especially if I could grab a cup of coffee and a short nap after I took some Excedrin Extra Strength Migraine tabs ( that's a mixture of tyelenol, aspirin and caffeine). I loved the stuff

But, as I am sure you know, that's another medication you need to be careful not to take on an empty stomach, and not to exceed recommended doses. I didn't exceed recommended doses, but wasn't careful all the time not to take it on an empty stomach, and paid for that with several bleeding gastric ulcers a bit over a year ago. There were also times that I took naproxen within a short time of taking the Excedrin tabs and I realize now that may have contributed to my GI issues. I've sworn off the Excedrin now, and only occasionally, and after a meal, take naproxen for joint pain. I miss the Excedrin but have found, to my surprise and relief, that acetominophen often does a decent job with those headaches.

So just be careful with the Excedrin, Jen.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:20 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That mixture always worked well for the miserable headaches I get sometimes. It even often worked to ward off migraines when I felt one coming on, especially if I could grab a cup of coffee and a short nap after I took some Excedrin Extra Strength Migraine tabs ( that's a mixture of tyelenol, aspirin and caffeine). I loved the stuff

But, as I am sure you know, that's another medication you need to be careful not to take on an empty stomach, and not to exceed recommended doses. I didn't exceed recommended doses, but wasn't careful all the time not to take it on an empty stomach, and paid for that with several bleeding gastric ulcers a bit over a year ago. There were also times that I took naproxen within a short time of taking the Excedrin tabs and I realize now that may have contributed to my GI issues. I've sworn off the Excedrin now, and only occasionally, and after a meal, take naproxen for joint pain. I miss the Excedrin but have found, to my surprise and relief, that acetominophen often does a decent job with those headaches.

So just be careful with the Excedrin, Jen.
Any NSAIDs cause GI issues, particularly when used heavily. Excedrin is absolutely the worst for me in terms of GI issues. Usually if I need something at night on an empty stomach, I take Tylenol or Alka Seltzer, although I find that ibuprofen or Aleve work much better for me for headaches. BC powder (which is just aspirin 900mg and caffeine) is the absolute best for me for headaches, but is just below Excedrin in the heartburn department. Since it is a powder, it works fast.

At any rate, I think the OP has kidney disease according to something he posted over in the Relationships forum, so he’s probably limited to Tylenol and possibly aspirin. He would not be able to take Aleve or Advil.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:41 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Excellent point. Parents beware.

ALL NSAIDS can affect the liver & kidneys & cause peptic problems. Each one has a different propensity to do so. Tt also depends on your personal susceptibility to it.

Occasional, single doses probably won't cause any problems (except ASA in those with von Willebrand's Disease.) None of them are seriously hepato- or nephro-toxic except with prolonged usage or very large doses. Chronic usage can cause water retention, so best avoided with CHF or HTN.

All of them are used for [1] pain relief [2] anti-inflammation and [3] as an antipyretic (in fever).

Tylenol (acetaminophen) is good for fever, has NO anti-inflammatory effects and only ~1 in 4 pts (25%) find them to be a good pain reliever. If it relieves YOUR pain, then it's 100% effective for YOU.

Back to the OP: Diagnosis is very important-- do you have a bone metastasis or just an over-use syndrome from using the TV remote too much, or something in between?
Growing up. my healthy children took baby aspirin occasionally for pain or fever, with their pediatrician's OK, if not blessing. We avoid acetaminophen as a family. My children are in their mid 20s. They are alive and well.

Those headache powders were good. - i.e. worked well. I can't seem to find them anymore.

I am talking about generally healthy people. I think ASA is an amazing drug.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:17 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
If your doctor won’t answer ask a pharmacist. They should be able to advise you. My husband has borderline blood pressure and takes aleve or Advil occasionally without any issues. If the pain is severe go to a walk in center to get it diagnosed and get extra help and stronger pain relievers.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:20 AM

719 posts, read 1,059,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Actually I find tylenol ( generic- acetominophen) to be a very good pain reliever, I've used it for post surgical pain, to headaches, to minor joint pains. I generally use take two 500 mg Extra strength tablets when I need them ( not every day) and these work like a champ to relieve those pains. You just have to be careful not to exceed the daily recommended doses, as acetominophen can cause liver damage if taken in access.

One can also take NSAIDs such as aspirin, naproxen, or ibupropen, being careful ( as with any medication), not to exceed recommended doses, and not to take these on an empty stomach ( may cause GI bleeding). Or, I've heard it suggested that one could take lower doses of each, for example, an acetominophen tablet and an ibupropen tablet together to relieve pain.

Tylenol absolutely is NOT a terrible analgesic, taken in appropriate doses.
Hi I took 2 500 MG tablets of Extra Strength Tylenol PM Sunday night .I had some problems sleeping .I woke up (actually I woke up a few times but went back to sleep) around 9 am Monday with a very dry mouth .The dry mouth seemed to mostly go away. I took 2 more Tylenol PMs after 11 PM last night , 2 tablets of 500 MGs again , and I noticed the dry mouth came on quickly . Its now after 8 am Tuesday morning and I still have the dry mouth .Does it take some time for this to wear off to get rid of the dry mouth or so you know? BTW its dry mouth and throat and my lips are dry too.

Last edited by senecaman; 05-12-2020 at 06:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness