Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 03:47 PM

7,124 posts, read 4,963,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
... I was in line at Christmas time at Penney's. The line was long, and the wait time was long. I could barely stand after a while, the pain was so intense.

Those of us who went to school before computers will know why I used to call back aches "Registration Leg."-- students at large universities stood in line for hours to register for classes. We tended not to stand at military attention with weight distributed equally on both feet, buttocks flexed, stomach in and chest out, but lazily put weight on one leg, hip thrown out to the side and slumping.

Unequal muscle tension around any joint causes pain.

Most common cause of low back syndrome is unequal muscle tension in the two psoas muscles-- often caused by unequal length of the two legs, or using one side more dominantly than the other, as in bending & lifting, twisting to the side as you take, say, a shovel full of snow and toss it to the side repetitively. One psoas will go into spasm and that hurts.

"Flank" is the SIDE of the body between the iliac crest and the rib cage. "Lumbar area" is the low BACK, in the back. "Hip" is the side of the leg at the level of the butt, over the hip joint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 04:59 PM

5 posts, read 9,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
About 3 1/2 years ago I experienced symptoms similar to what you are having. Left flank, nausea at times when symptoms flared, intense pain, very sore back, and low grade fever at times. These symptoms were fleeting, in that I'd be fine for a day or three, and then I would be pain for a few days for most of each day. I thought kidney stone stuck on its journey. Finally over New Year's I had had enough, went to ER, got a ct-scan, and ultrasound. Nothing was found. Everyone was baffled, no stone was visible, so went home. Symptoms continued but not as often, and then a month went by pain free. I had been scheduled for a colonoscopy already, so had that and all was good except the Dr. determined that I have diverticulosis, which may or may not have been the problem. I made a few diet adjustments and knock on wood, those symptoms have not returned.
Good luck to you!
Wow when you got your colonoscopy done did your doctor see the inflammation? In what ways did you change your diet?

Old 01-13-2020, 05:17 PM

5 posts, read 9,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I didn't have a pain in the location you do, but this reminds me of a pain I had years ago. I developed a pain in what I called my sacroiliac (the flat part of lower back, on one side, right above buttocks). It went away, so fine. But it repeatedly came back over a two year period. I was in my early 40s and had excellent health all my life. I didn't mention it to my dr during annual exams for 2 years, but finally went to an orthopedist, sure I had strained something while digging in the yard.

An x-ray revealed I had osteoarthritis. So it was inflammation that would flare up, then subside, always to return, he said. So I went to a rheumatologist. He confirmed and said it would be that way until I did something about the inflammation. So he prescribed strong arthritis medicine for me to take certain amount every day for 10 days. I had to take it the whole 10 days to knock out the inflammation, even if the pain went away. He tried the gentler medicine first, but my body didn't respond. So I had to take naproxyn (it can damage stomach lining, so have to be careful). The pain/inflammation went away and stayed away for years.

The pain/inflammation came back a few years ago, with physical activities related to moving & such. So I have to take an inflammation OTC drug on occasion. I have never done the 10-day thing again, but probably should. As it is, I try not to take medicine for anything unless absolutely necessary.

The pain in my sacroiliac didn't cause me nausea or fever. But the flareups you seem to have reminds me of inflammation. It could be inflammation associated with something else. Taking Aleve (naproxyn) for one day won't knock out inflammation, if that's part of your issue. Not all pain killers are anti-inflammatory, either.

How old are you? Are you very physical, like have a manual labor job? Or lift heavy things around the house? Or play a rough sport? Things that might have injured your "flank"? (I'm still confused about what the flank is, whether it's in the back or the side.)
Your story sounds just like mine. I've had the pain for about 2-3 years and I didn't tell my doctor about it till last year because it started becoming too frequent. I'm 25 now but at the time the pain first started I was playing a lot of sports I've always been active throughout my teenage years and 20s I ran track, bowled, played basketball and soccer. Pain killers (ibuprofen 800) don't work I can still feel the pain when taking them so I don't take any. The pain is in my hip area I've just always called it left flank pain I'm not sure if that's the right term for it. As of right now, I'm not doing anything physical I'm sitting the majority of the time I do get up and walk every so often but nothing physical.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:10 PM

21,886 posts, read 19,031,374 times
when you were describing it i thought of diverticulosis

change your diet for a few months and see if it helps
don't eat any nuts

Old 01-13-2020, 09:16 PM

1,242 posts, read 642,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylineviews View Post
Wow when you got your colonoscopy done did your doctor see the inflammation? In what ways did you change your diet?
No I was pretty much symptom free when I had the colonoscopy, but she saw the pockets which can lead to diverticulitis. Her advice was to cut down on seeds or make sure I chew them very well. Actually she wanted me to focus on chewing all foods more, to help avoid future issues.
Typically, the foods doctors tell patients with diverticulitis to avoid are, red meat, cruciferous veggies, milk, sugar and keeping fruit to a minimum, alcohol, beans, whole grains, caffeine, processed foods, and fermented foods. I am vegan, so I consume most of these foods regularly except for red meat, and milk, but have cut down on alcohol and caffeine. Sugar seems to be the culprit a lot of times, from what I understand any food that lodges in those pockets begins to ferment with the help of sugars and inflammation begins.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:59 PM

37,434 posts, read 45,636,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylineviews View Post
I've had a left flank pain for a few years now. When it first started I only felt it from time to time. I now feel it on a monthy basis. At first I was going to ignore it but I eventually went to my doctor about it because to me it’s not normal. It feels like a flare up that’s only in my hip area it comes in waves at times or it’ll just come out of no where. Sometimes it’ll hurt so bad that I’ll have to hold onto my hip. I’ve also been woken up out of my sleep a few times because of it. Before all of this started I played sports when I was in college like soccer, basketball and I even ran track when I was younger. When I was in college I supposably had a muscle strain in my rib/back area. There would be times when it felt like something was pushing up against my ribs. It kind of felt like sand paper rubbing up in that area or a tag poking me. Now that all of that is gone I now experience the hip pain that has not gone away. I’ve had a x-ray in which it came back clear, I had a ct scan that came back clear, I’ve had blood work for stds in which I don’t have any of those. I’ve had a urinalysis which didn’t show any infections. I had an ultrasound including pelvic. They checked for kidney stones and cyst in which I don’t have. I personally feel like it’s something and it’s not normal if I stop in the middle of what I am doing to grab my hip or wake up out of my sleep because of the pain it’s not normal. I need help because I’m out of answers and I’m starting to feel like the doctors aren’t going to take me seriously. Has anyone else experienced this?
What doctors? Have you been to an orthopedic?? If not, get an appointment and go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness