U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2020, 11:00 PM

7,456 posts, read 7,013,892 times

Advertisements

Have you ever hear of non invasive surgery to correct plagiocephaly/brachycephaly? The helmet that babies wear, will that type of method work on adults?

Is the flat head syndrome something that only sets itself in infancy? I am not sure when it happened to me. When I was a kid, bored sitting in the car, I used to bang my head against something. I am thinking that is the cause. I am kicking myself. Funny thing is I notice a lot of east asians have this. Maybe it is congenital.

I wish I knew then, what I know now. Also I had an under bite. My orthodontist made me wear this harness around my head when sleeping as a teen. Will that have an effect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 03:45 PM

8,988 posts, read 3,925,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Have you ever hear of non invasive surgery to correct plagiocephaly/brachycephaly? The helmet that babies wear, will that type of method work on adults?

Is the flat head syndrome something that only sets itself in infancy? I am not sure when it happened to me. When I was a kid, bored sitting in the car, I used to bang my head against something. I am thinking that is the cause. I am kicking myself. Funny thing is I notice a lot of east asians have this. Maybe it is congenital.

I wish I knew then, what I know now. Also I had an under bite. My orthodontist made me wear this harness around my head when sleeping as a teen. Will that have an effect?
IMHO, what you "know now" is just creating useless anxiety. Based on your threads you are getting fixated on this.

Surgery is invasive. How could it NOT be?

The sutures in a baby's skull aren't fused and the bone is soft; the skull shape is still malleable. That's why non-invasive "helmet" treatment can work to correct skull shape up to about 18 months of age. A baby's skull shape can be influenced by position (sleeping, etc), but there are other reasons for problems. Links about infant skull shape and helmet therapy below. Your brain's growth plays into how long something non-invasive would be an option. Once your brain is developed you can't do all that much to change your skull shape. Your brain has finished most of its growth by age 2.

It doesn't do much good to kick yourself for banging your head against something as a child, but it might be something your parents should have discouraged if you were younger than 18 months when sitting in that car. Talk about hitting your head against a brick wall and getting nowhere! No, wearing a dental harness as a teen didn't affect your head shape. No, you can't start wearing a helmet now and expect that to correct the shape of your head.

What would probably do you more good is to get some help for the brain inside that skull. Like counseling to help you learn to live with what life has given you.

https://www.nationwidechildrens.org/...u-be-concerned

https://healthychildren.org/English/...rent-FAQs.aspx

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-12-2020 at 04:17 PM..

Old Today, 09:33 PM

162 posts, read 131,229 times
Plagiocephaly is strictly cosmetic, it's not worth fixing, literally the surgery would be worse than the disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or