U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 09:30 AM

1,158 posts, read 410,254 times

Advertisements

OK, that's the question. Has anyone tried a salt water flush for constipation? I was reading about it, but I'd like personal experiences, if possible. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 10:45 AM

10,288 posts, read 7,502,902 times
If you read about this, then you surely came across the warnings against doing it for those with other medical conditions.

I wouldn't touch the practice with a 10 foot pole. I have a hard enough time keeping my blood pressure under control without ingesting a bunch of extra salt. Add to that the risk of electrolyte imbalances, digestive upsets from drinking a liter of salt water.

There MUST be better ways of getting that constipation under control.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:33 PM

5,209 posts, read 11,384,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
If you read about this, then you surely came across the warnings against doing it for those with other medical conditions.

I wouldn't touch the practice with a 10 foot pole. I have a hard enough time keeping my blood pressure under control without ingesting a bunch of extra salt. Add to that the risk of electrolyte imbalances, digestive upsets from drinking a liter of salt water.

^ This

Other risks include dehydration and oh yeah, death...

There is NO reason to drink salt water unless you are doing a prescribed bowel prep for colonoscopy or other GI procedure under medical direction....

Old 01-14-2020, 05:04 PM

6,147 posts, read 2,721,596 times
Agree with 2 above me......nooooooo wayyyyyyyy.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:07 PM

10,369 posts, read 6,830,654 times
A terrible thing to do to your body, you would have to be crazy to try it!

Forget the "Who should try" segment of this picture and concentrate on the rest!

https://health.veggieshake.com/natur...t-water-flush/

Old 01-14-2020, 06:12 PM

8,902 posts, read 3,896,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
OK, that's the question. Has anyone tried a salt water flush for constipation? I was reading about it, but I'd like personal experiences, if possible. Thank you.
Just my HO, but if it says anything about "flush" "cleanse" "purge", I'd avoid it. One violent event isn't going to make up for months or years of doing nothing.

Seriously, OP I think you need to filter the health-related stuff you read a little better. Some pretty wack-a-doodle things that could (at minimum) waste your time and money and (at most) cause a lot of harm. Then you'll end up at that doctor you were trying so hard to avoid in the first place.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:40 PM

1,158 posts, read 410,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

Thanks. Warning taken. Appreciate it very much! (Yes, I have very high blood pressure...)

Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM

926 posts, read 338,453 times
Eat lots of vegetable, fruits, and exercise daily, you will not have constipation problem. In case you do sometimes, take a couple of Senokot pills. You can buy them at Walmart (a bottle of 20 or 40) or at Costco (a bottle of 100 - it's much cheaper for each pill). They are very effective. Or drink black coffee (with no sugar) in the morning.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

4,072 posts, read 2,729,615 times
Suggestions:

Larger(er) doses of Vit C. Maybe try 1.5g to 3g.

Magnesium Citrate or any other form also in larger doses, more than therapeutic which is 400mg. Most people are deficient in Mag so it's a good idea anyway. I would start with 800mg. You can get pure powder and mix it with water or get supplements.

You can also buy single use bottles at Walgreens or CVS or similar. It looks like this.

https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-...-prodid-789407

Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

5,029 posts, read 3,966,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Eat lots of vegetable, fruits, and exercise daily, you will not have constipation problem. In case you do sometimes, take a couple of Senokot pills. You can buy them at Walmart (a bottle of 20 or 40) or at Costco (a bottle of 100 - it's much cheaper for each pill). They are very effective. Or drink black coffee (with no sugar) in the morning.
Also - choose whole grains rather than refined. Check labels for fiber content - some products you'd think are high fiber aren't. When I grocery shop, I almost always opt for the choice with higher fiber content. I supplement my fiber by adding a tablespoon of Benefiber supplement in my morning cereal. I almost never have any problems with constipation.

Regarding "cleanses" - there's nothing to cleanse and despite what the promoters of cleanses say, none of us have decades of caked up waste lining our digestive tracts. It's complete and utter B.S. - and as others have pointed out, can threaten your health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness