U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 12:44 PM

7,124 posts, read 3,991,978 times

Advertisements

That's what I'm getting now. Never had this trouble before. I will look into that ingredient that some said to avoid.

Pureology purple made my hair fall out in a very noticeable way and very soon too. I can't use anything with peppermint or menthol in it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 10:02 PM

27,849 posts, read 28,334,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
CremeBrulee and StarlaJane, I'm having trouble again with my scalp. I started using OGX and it was good for a few weeks, but now the scalp problem is back, even though I wash things frequently, use a different pillowcase every night, and wash my brushes. I've never had problems before. It is so puzzling. The doctor diagnosed dust mites, so I may be battling this as long as I live in this house.

I'm going to try both of your suggestions.
my problem has always been that a new shampoo will work for a time, but then it comes back? So I'm anxious to see how Aveeno works and also the Collidal Silver...that is coming next week....

this all started over 3 years ago, thought it was the over the counter hair dye, started loosing my hair, so started taking collegen, and now I make bone broth and drink it all the time which is supposed to have loads of collegen, and other nutrients in it....so we'll see...hair has grown thicker, but the itching is not gone...it started up again...today....grrrrr

Old 12-26-2022, 08:56 AM

12/26

Hello, hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, and wishing you a Happy New Year.

Since last time I posted, I've been experimenting with the Aveeno shampoos and have been having positive results...

I bought something different to try and it seems to be working....

Aveeno Scalp Soothing Oat Milk Blend Shampoo

or the Aveeno Rose Water & Chamomile Blend Sulfate-Free Shampoo with Colloidal Oat for Dry Scalp
which for me, seems the best right now

Also, and this is extremely important, do not scratch scalp with your nails, when your washing your hair....AND BE CERTAIN TO RINSE the hair VERY VERY VERY WELL, WHICH ALSO SEEMS TO WORK, AND DO NOT USE HOT WATER...also, I do not use a conditioner very much as it does leave a residue on the scalp and hair and notice when I do, the issue is compounded....

if you google Aveeno they have a wide variety of shampoos which ya'll can try, because we're of course, not all alike due to the chemistry make up of our bodies....so you might have to try several by process of elimination which one works the best for you

since growing older and moving to the Midwestern Kentucky my allergies have gotten worse, which I believe this scalp thing for me is also an allergic reaction to something, plus I'm noticing when I watch a movie that is high action packed or violent/scary, itching my head has become a frequent habit, therefore, it's best to try not to, which only aggrevates the issue.

wishing you the best....good luck and please come back and let us know how your doing.

Old 12-26-2022, 06:23 PM

907 posts, read 661,446 times
Long Overdue Update:

I am still battling my itchy scalp horror fest. I finally did go to a dermatologist, who told me that I have psoriasis, not sebhorrea. No wonder the medications weren't working! She decided to try a biologic, so she put me on Enbrel. A few month on that gave no results, so we switched to Humira. Didn't work and made me sick. Next up was Tremfya, which also did absolutely nothing.

Meanwhile, I was finally able to get in to see a Rheumatologist. She is prescribing Orencia, which could help with both issues. I am still waiting for my insurance to approve it. She was going to try Rinvoq, but I have too many contra-indications so it is too dangerous.

I am lucky that I have great insurance that will pay for these, except they will stop covering Enbrel, Humira and Tremfya in 2023. So the search for relief continues. My once thick hair is no longer, as I have lost so much from scratching. Sometimes it make me scream it's so intense.

I am happy for those of you that have finally found some relief! Shows there is still hope...

Old 12-27-2022, 09:01 AM

I am so sorry for this issue you're having. I have found some relief finally, from using Trader Joe's Tea Tree shampoo. I bought it online because Trader Joe's is 40 miles away. I shampoo twice, leaving it sit for about 3 minutes each time, rinse with cool water. I would say that 90% of the itching is gone, but there still is some. I gave all my other shampoos to a friend.

cremebrulee, I wonder if there is something we are allergic to. I never had this problem in my long life. I moved to the Southeast (Northern Alabama) and now I have the problem. My ENT said to me "you know you've moved to the allergy capital of the country, right?" Not much I can do about it.

Old 12-28-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I am so sorry for this issue you're having. I have found some relief finally, from using Trader Joe's Tea Tree shampoo. I bought it online because Trader Joe's is 40 miles away. I shampoo twice, leaving it sit for about 3 minutes each time, rinse with cool water. I would say that 90% of the itching is gone, but there still is some. I gave all my other shampoos to a friend.

cremebrulee, I wonder if there is something we are allergic to. I never had this problem in my long life. I moved to the Southeast (Northern Alabama) and now I have the problem. My ENT said to me "you know you've moved to the allergy capital of the country, right?" Not much I can do about it.
I believe part of it is allergy related, but also believe there are other issues that come into play, like dying your hair, not rinsing the shampoo out properly along with conditioner, which is heavy and leaves a film on the hair and scalp, but I'm just guessing.

I moved here to Kentucky from back east and the doctors here are not as good as they were back east....plus a lot of them are women who take offense if you tell them what they prescribed is not working. For instance, I started with an extremely dry cough, that kept me awake at night....and went to my family doctor about it....the nurse and the doctor said the medication they prescribed for my heart causes this in a lot of their patients, (*so why in God's name to you keep prescribing it?) Sheeesh....so now I will ask the side effects before agreeing to a prescription....

Anyway, I've had a great loss of hair since this all started....which is why I make a lot of bone broth to help with collegen....but perhaps I should ask about hormones? I forgot to do that.

Tired tea tree shampoo and it helped for a while and then it started again...? It's really annoying....but glad you found some relief. Yeahhhh....

Old 12-28-2022, 01:47 PM

Yes, I've been using the tea tree shampoo and have noticed things creeping back to a problem. I'm stumped. I just don't know what to do. A doctor told me it was "folliculitis due to dust mites" at the beginning of this saga. Can't tell you the hoops I jumped through to deal with "dust mites."

I guess next I'm trying Neutrogena and/or Nizoral Psoriasis. $17.64 plus tax for 11 oz. I haven't been diagnosed with psoriasis but am thinking it would be more effective than the dandruff formula. (I don't have dandruff.)

Does anyone remember Phisohex? I just thought of it. My mom used to use it on us when we needed a wound cleaned before bandaging, or with impetigo. I remember one time in grade school a kid had it and a bunch of us caught it. That's one of the times my mom used it. I'm grasping at straws at this point.

BTW, I'm not using the conditioner that comes with the Trader Joe's Tea Tree Shampoo. Been washing twice, leaving in for a few mins. and rinsing thoroughly with cool water.

Anyone remember how changing shampoos makes your hair behave better? I think we are in this for the long haul with this situation. Changing shampoos every few washes.

Old 12-28-2022, 09:24 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,347,139 times
Quote:
Yes, I've been using the tea tree shampoo and have noticed things creeping back to a problem. I'm stumped. I just don't know what to do. A doctor told me it was "folliculitis due to dust mites" at the beginning of this saga. Can't tell you the hoops I jumped through to deal with "dust mites."

I guess next I'm trying Neutrogena and/or Nizoral Psoriasis. $17.64 plus tax for 11 oz. I haven't been diagnosed with psoriasis but am thinking it would be more effective than the dandruff formula. (I don't have dandruff.)

Does anyone remember Phisohex? I just thought of it. My mom used to use it on us when we needed a wound cleaned before bandaging, or with impetigo. I remember one time in grade school a kid had it and a bunch of us caught it. That's one of the times my mom used it. I'm grasping at straws at this point.

BTW, I'm not using the conditioner that comes with the Trader Joe's Tea Tree Shampoo. Been washing twice, leaving in for a few mins. and rinsing thoroughly with cool water.

Anyone remember how changing shampoos makes your hair behave better? I think we are in this for the long haul with this situation. Changing shampoos every few washes.
My dermatologist told me that they really don’t know what causes this type folliculitis. Fluconazole oral for a week will work, but it may have some unpleasant side effects and that still doesn’t make it go away for good. It just made my stomach burn, so while I am willing to do it again, it’s only for the folliculitis breakouts that are unbearably itchy and covering my chest, arms, upper back, and scalp.

I’ve tried some other things that worked at the time but the derm told me the same thing you’ve said- after a while they’re just going to stop working. I’ve had this problem since I was 12-13 and I am now in my mid-40s. For me, humidity is a big contributor. Right now it is super dry and I don’t have much of a problem at all on the scalp. On the other hand, I have some pretty awful hand eczema going right now that I think is genetic as I’ve always known my mom to have issues.

I don’t remember phisohex but on that chain of thought, maybe a chlorhexadine shampoo could work? That’s basically what they use to kill about everything before surgery and for continuing treatment after oral procedures and on dogs that have a lot of skin issues. On the other hand, it seems like it would totally wipe out the entire scalp biome and I’m not sure that is really desirable?

Otherwise I have tried so many things. Steroids (including heavy duty ones for scalp psoriasis), antibacterial prescriptions, ketoconazole products, etc. When I lived in Japan the salon I went to had like a 30-minute deep clean treatment which I think had tea tree oil that also really seemed to help and I imagine it would do a lot if I had gone every 6-8 weeks.

Old 12-29-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:

yeah, I'm afraid your right, do you have hair loss with it? I do....

why don't you try avveno, they have a nice line of shampoos for dry scalp....that's what I've been using.
and yes, I do remember phisohex....great stuff.

Old 12-29-2022, 10:59 AM

2,981 posts, read 1,757,452 times
I think the conditions described here have to be addressed both internally and externally.

For internal, look up the list of potential trigger foods and drinks for these conditions and symptoms and either avoid or restrict them. Depending on your diet, you may also need to supplement one or more of these: vitamin D, B complex, zinc, biotin. You can look up the roles these nutrients play for your condition.

For external use, I am surprised that no one has mentioned rosemary essential oil...other than the mention of one shampoo that has some form of rosemary in it. Doubtful that was enough to make a lasting difference. Rosemary essential oil is good for seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis and other itchy scalp conditions.

Generally, take a tablespoom or two of cold-pressed coconut oil or pure aloe vera gel, add a drop of rosemary essential oil. Start small with the rosemary; it can be increased gradually if needed. Apply to your scalp and leave in for at least 10 minutes before shampooing with a natural, mild shampoo and rinse very well. Do this about twice a week; adjust as needed.

Don't apply the essential oil directly to scalp without a carrier like coconut oil, aloe vera, etc., and test a small area first.

This should calm things down, along with addressing it internally. Give it time. If you are experiencing hair loss too, rosemary encourages regrowth. A study done a few years ago compared minoxidil with rosemary essential oil. There was little regrowth after 3 months with either one, but both showed significant regrowth after 6 months.

Some people find relief from just rinsing with tea made from rosemary leaves after using a mild cleanser like baby shampoo, pure castile, etc. The concentrated scent of essential oil can be too strong for some so they make tea with rosemary tea bags. But, if you are losing hair too, you may, or may not, see regrowth with this alternative method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness