Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 06:33 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,197,967 times

Advertisements

I get flare ups now and then and use a dab of hyrdrocortisone cream mixed with a bit of jock itch cream. Both are over the counter. I recently read that niacinimide may help reduce it. It is a form of vitamin B3. It can also be purchased as a topical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 06:43 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
I go to a dermatologist who prescribed a Ketaconozole shampoo in addition to Sebex shampoo. I use both in conjunction with Neutrogena TSal shampoo and Head and Shoulders shampoo and conditioner, which have helped me a lot.

I tried clobetisol ointment but didn’t like it—it was way too greasy and did nothing for me.

Old 11-19-2022, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I have severe seborrhea on the right side of my head and on my forehead. My doctor prescribed some shampoo, but it only seems to make it worse. It is so bad I am losing hair on that side, and the itching is unrelenting. I am about ready to shave my head so I can rub steroid cream all over it to get some relief.

Has anyone tried something that actually works? I have tried OTC shampoo and the prescription shampoo with no luck.
I’m so sorry that you are going through this

The fact that you are losing hair as well as the fact that it didn’t respond to prescription shampoos concerns me.

I know someone who had symptoms similar to yours. She went to an endocrinologist who diagnosed her issue as “hormonal” and suggested birth control pills. Fortunately, she got a second opinion from a doc who eventually found that she had a pituitary tumor.

My advice is to see an endocrinologist.

Old 11-19-2022, 06:50 AM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Over the years, I have found that certain shampoos cause irritation and flare ups. I think it is all about the Ph of the shampoo. Once you settle on something that your body likes, then your scalp will be healthy. For example, if I use Pantene, I get crusty sores in my scalp, and I’m pretty sure that Dove makes my hair fall out.

Old 11-19-2022, 09:34 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I go to a dermatologist who prescribed a Ketaconozole shampoo in addition to Sebex shampoo. I use both in conjunction with Neutrogena TSal shampoo and Head and Shoulders shampoo and conditioner, which have helped me a lot.

I tried clobetisol ointment but didn’t like it—it was way too greasy and did nothing for me.

Dermatologist prescribed Ketaconozole and head and shoulders for me, it dried my scalp out terrible, so much it actually got fire red....and I realized, mine is probably an allergy problem mixed with sulfates, parabens, preservatives and hair thickeners...

Sulfates increase skin sensitivity and strip hair of their natural oils, causing dryness
Parabens increase the risk of skin cancer
Phthalates are dangerous to the environment and cause hormonal disruptions
Formaldehyde yes, there is even formaldehyde in shampoos, is carcinogenic and easily absorbed by the skin
Dimethicone prevents moisture from entering the hair and clogs pores over time Retinyl palmitate: causes itching, scaling, and peeling
Alcohol makes your hair dry and brittle
Toluene: can hamper the immune system and cause congenital problems Imidazolidinyl irritates the skin and eyes

there are so many items sold in the U.S. that are extremely toxic and illegal in other countries, best to read the ingrediants and psssst, CDC and WHO, well, I won't go there...but....beware.

Good Luck!

Old 11-19-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Dermatologist prescribed Ketaconozole and head and shoulders for me, it dried my scalp out terrible, so much it actually got fire red....and I realized, mine is probably an allergy problem mixed with sulfates, parabens, preservatives and hair thickeners...

Sulfates increase skin sensitivity and strip hair of their natural oils, causing dryness
Parabens increase the risk of skin cancer
Phthalates are dangerous to the environment and cause hormonal disruptions
Formaldehyde yes, there is even formaldehyde in shampoos, is carcinogenic and easily absorbed by the skin
Dimethicone prevents moisture from entering the hair and clogs pores over time Retinyl palmitate: causes itching, scaling, and peeling
Alcohol makes your hair dry and brittle
Toluene: can hamper the immune system and cause congenital problems Imidazolidinyl irritates the skin and eyes

there are so many items sold in the U.S. that are extremely toxic and illegal in other countries, best to read the ingrediants and psssst, CDC and WHO, well, I won't go there...but....beware.

Good Luck!
I did have a wonderful doctor who educated me about (and told me to stay away from) cocomydapropryl betaine, which is in everything. She recommended Dr. Bronners. I’ve never tried them but their ingredient list is short and doesn’t contain any of the above nasty chemicals. Thank you for inspiring me to make healthier choices Now all I have to do is see what my hair thinks

Old 11-19-2022, 03:29 PM

30,418 posts, read 21,228,470 times
Never heard of it or know what it is.

Old 11-20-2022, 08:52 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I did have a wonderful doctor who educated me about (and told me to stay away from) cocomydapropryl betaine, which is in everything. She recommended Dr. Bronners. I’ve never tried them but their ingredient list is short and doesn’t contain any of the above nasty chemicals. Thank you for inspiring me to make healthier choices Now all I have to do is see what my hair thinks
good luck and thank you as well.
If you come across anything, come back and let us know please....

Old 11-20-2022, 09:44 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
CremeBrulee and StarlaJane, I'm having trouble again with my scalp. I started using OGX and it was good for a few weeks, but now the scalp problem is back, even though I wash things frequently, use a different pillowcase every night, and wash my brushes. I've never had problems before. It is so puzzling. The doctor diagnosed dust mites, so I may be battling this as long as I live in this house.

I'm going to try both of your suggestions.

Old 11-20-2022, 11:39 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,536,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Over the years, I have found that certain shampoos cause irritation and flare ups. I think it is all about the Ph of the shampoo. Once you settle on something that your body likes, then your scalp will be healthy. For example, if I use Pantene, I get crusty sores in my scalp, and I’m pretty sure that Dove makes my hair fall out.
I too had the crusty sores. Used prescription Mometazone which helped but they would come right back. Pretty much cleared up about a year ago. Dr had told me a lot of skin problems are due to immune system imbalances, so figured I was “back in balance.” But I had switched from Pantene to a Redken shampoo. Maybe that was it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness