U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 12:22 PM

1,475 posts, read 686,603 times

Advertisements

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...rage-heres-why

Just thought this was interesting. Mostly because it makes me think this is proof that calorie counts on foods are wayyy too high. My body temp is typically around 97.9 to 98.2.

It is interesting the link above doesn't talk about it but I looked at the actual study and it suggested that our basal metabolic rate is dropping. Likely because of how easy modern life is. It also said that due to how healthy modern life is your body doesn't have to do as much work. Reduction in inflammation.

Quote:
One possible reason for the decrease in average body temperature in the United States could be a reduction in metabolic rate -- the amount of energy that people burn -- that may be due to a population-wide decline in inflammation.

"Inflammation produces all sorts of proteins and cytokines that rev up your metabolism and raise your temperature," Parsonnet said in a Stanford news release.

She noted that over the past 200 years there have been dramatic improvements in public health due to advances in medical care, better hygiene, greater access to food and improved standards of living.

It's also possible that more comfortable homes have contributed to the decline in average body temperature. Homes in the 19th century had uneven heating and no cooling, but central heating and air conditioning are now commonplace.

That means people don't have to expend as much energy to maintain a constant body temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:33 PM

20,138 posts, read 9,014,412 times
Interesting.

My body temp has been running around 98 all my adult life. And while I definitely do carry more weight than I should, this was true when I was younger and didn't have those extra pounds.

If everyone's metabolic rates really are dropping, then that could be a contributing factor to the average increase in body weight.

Old Today, 02:42 PM

1,475 posts, read 686,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
If everyone's metabolic rates really are dropping, then that could be a contributing factor to the average increase in body weight.
Bingo. I think that is the most groundbreaking thought to come out of this. If so, any TDEE calculators that people are going off are wrong. Indeed most of the formulas were promulgated when humans were very different creatures.

That and the next time I feel bad and have a 99.9 temp I don't want to hear from my doctor that I "don't" have a fever. For me, yes I do.

Old Today, 02:50 PM

20,138 posts, read 9,014,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Bingo. I think that is the most groundbreaking thought to come out of this. If so, any TDEE calculators that people are going off are wrong. Indeed most of the formulas were promulgated when humans were very different creatures.

That and the next time I feel bad and have a 99.9 temp I don't want to hear from my doctor that I "don't" have a fever. For me, yes I do.
Yup, that's a discussion I've had a few times too.

Old Today, 03:29 PM

5,204 posts, read 11,380,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

99.9 temp is NOT a fever, doesn't matter if your basal temp is lower than 98.6

98.6 is an "average" temp for humans....the "range" will still vary from 97 to 99 and even then 2SD above or below would still be in expected range....

Definition of fever takes into account the normal range of human temperature....it isn't 2 degrees above your baseline....

Temp at or above 100.4 is a fever.....99.9 isn't....whether your typical temp is 96.8 or 98.6

Your inferences about TDEE calculators are also off base....they aren't based on a time when "humans were very different creatures"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or