U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 01:15 PM

2,709 posts, read 1,443,759 times

Advertisements

Are you taking pain meds because of the surgery?

After my total abdominal hysterectomy, I was fine as soon as I stopped taking the stupid pain pills they had given me. I only took them for a couple of days before I realized I didn't need them, and that they were making me feel weird. As soon as I stopped taking them, I was up and felt totally fine, even walked for exercise 1-1/2 hours per day until my sick leave was up and I went back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 04:47 PM

1,000 posts, read 824,278 times
5 days is too soon to try to go to the grocery, OP. Anywhere, really.

I had a total robotic hysterectomy a year ago. I had days where I felt like I could’ve conquered the world, and tried to, and paid for it the next day.

Case in point, one day a week after my surgery I was feeling great! I did the dishes, put the groceries away (I had them delivered, great suggestion from another poster) and washed my hair. I even thought about going back to work. The next day, I was knocked on my butt, too tired to move. Even doing that little bit had tired me out.

I also remember feeling a bit nauseous too and I wasn’t on any prescription meds. I had stopped taking the oxy because I didn’t like the side effects and wasn’t in that much pain anyway. But it could be the prescription pain meds making you woozy if you’re taking them.

Use this time to recover and take it easy. In addition, you don’t want to bust any stitches trying to do too much too soon.

Old 01-15-2020, 05:31 PM

4,257 posts, read 1,912,290 times
Really good site for those who have had or are facing a hysterectomy, hyster sisters https://www.hystersisters.com
My favorite tip: get some extra large undies and lounge pants so you're comfy while your abdomen is swollen.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:28 PM

226 posts, read 82,466 times
I had a hysterectomy 36 years ago with a full abdominal incision and was supposed to be hospitalized for a week but went home after 5 days. I wasn't allowed to drive for 6 weeks and could only do steps once a day and one step at a time - and the doctor wanted me to stay in bed the first week at home. At the time, my doctor told me if I tried to do too much, I'd almost literally fall on my face. Be careful because I remember people kindly taking me somewhere to get out of the house and going from feeling OK to breaking into a sweat and feeling unsteady - it can come on you suddenly. Like others, I can remember being knocked on my butt by what would have normally been small outings.

I realize that surgical techniques have changed - and with that, recovery time - but I would caution you not to do too much - and to be careful lifting (I remember being told nothing over 10 pounds), as you can get adhesions where you are stitched. I was young (20's), but by the time I returned to work in 6 weeks, I felt pretty well - but it was definitely gradual. Pace yourself gradually in what you attempt to do and listen to your body. When you start to feel tired, stop. Get plenty of rest and be kind and even indulgent to yourself. Good luck to you in your recovery.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:18 PM

3,760 posts, read 1,627,481 times
Yes, the incision and anesthesia, which can differ, make a lot of difference. I had fibroids that ballooned so suddenly that I had both the bikini incision and the abdominal incision. They also filled my abdomen with saline to reduce the possibility of adhesions and I felt, when moving, that it was difficult to breathe. Eventually the extra fluid went and that sensation left, but the surgeon told me 100% healing would take 18 months. I was fully functional a long time before that, but healing goes on after you get back to feeling like yourself, so just be you and don't rush yourself.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:59 PM

11,843 posts, read 9,004,661 times
6 weeks is how long it takes to heal completely.

I recently cared for a friend who had a hysterectomy (rather than having no one tho help her) .
The doctor said driving is risky because the pain (or fear of) can be distracting and slow your reaction.

I'm curious, too about your doctor recommendation.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:59 AM

33,763 posts, read 21,454,622 times
I had mine done laparoscopic and was going out the next day.

I suppose a lot will have to do with your general health, type of surgery, age and how anesthesia affects you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Today, 05:56 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,695,344 times
I had one about 5 years ago and was pretty housebound for a couple weeks. I was in pain meds and developed an infection and had to be hospitalized two subsequent times though and had two family members in the obgyn field caring for me and they wouldn’t let me do much. I also had a 5yo who wanted to be picked up all the time still that I couldn’t lift for 6 weeks. Mine was laparoscopic and I went home the morning after though they wanted me to stay an extra day (again I had both an obgyn and a ob nurse staying at my house after which is the only reason I did this). Cut yourself some slack and take it easy for a few more days. It takes time to get back to 100%.

Old Today, 08:59 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,865,222 times
I had a total abdominal hysterectomy in 2007, and I relied heavily on the advice and guidance I found in hystersisters.com.

It took me at least a week to get over the anesthesia, and OP's wooziness after her recent surgery doesn't surprise me at all.

I was instructed not to drive or lift anything over 10 lbs for six weeks. Here's the reason: even though the external incision may be healed, there are lots of internal incisions that take a long time to heal properly. Remember your uterus was being supported by ligaments that had to be cut -- those are the kinds of internal incisions I'm talking about. If you try to do too much too soon, those internal incisions can be torn and take even longer to heal.

Old Today, 09:26 AM

4,484 posts, read 4,079,874 times
Totally normal. Drink a lot of fluids, eat some salty foods (as long as you don't normally have high blood pressure), and get up and walk around the house a lot. Don't worry, you'll be feeling great soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness