U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 212 times

Advertisements

I recently had hysterectomy, today was my first day out of the house. I attempted to go in a grocery store but immediately got “out of myself” and woozy which ended up with me leaving. Has anyone else experienced this after surgery and being “couch ridden” for 5 days? I just want to start feeling normal again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 10:24 PM

8,957 posts, read 3,919,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angiesteve View Post
I recently had hysterectomy, today was my first day out of the house. I attempted to go in a grocery store but immediately got “out of myself” and woozy which ended up with me leaving. Has anyone else experienced this after surgery and being “couch ridden” for 5 days? I just want to start feeling normal again!
Hard to say. Everyone heals differently and everyone processes the aftereffects of anesthesia differently. You've been doing nothing around the house except being on the couch for those 5 days? That in itself can have quite an effect on its own. A grocery store could just be sensory overload. Give it time. Maybe do something less vigorous for short periods each day and build up to a shopping trip.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:30 PM

430 posts, read 149,015 times
How long do they hospitalize for a hysterectomy now? Eons ago I was in for 10 days! (would’ve been 7 but I had a bladder infection). I didn’t go out once home for at least a few days. Being in bed much of the time weakens you quickly, so I’m not surprised it was too much for you. Try briefer outings and re-build your stamina. It will come back.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:58 PM

3,760 posts, read 1,627,481 times
I tried to go to the mailbox on day 5 (after 2 nights in hospital) and could barely make it. I couldn't cross the street at all since I wasn't moving very fast.

The important thing is that you did it and next time you'll do better.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:48 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,268,549 times
Be patient with yourself. When I had mine in 1994 I was in hospital for 5 days. It took me about three weeks to feel more like my old self. The anesthetic just knocked me for a loop. They also did a spinal block and told me not to drive for two weeks as it would take that long for the block to completely wear off. All I wanted to do was eat and sleep. Normally I'm a Type A person but I wasn't for awhile. Now I know why the doctor signed me off work for 6 weeks - I thought I'd be back in a flash but I needed the whole six weeks. I was 47 at the time, so age could be a factor either way, too.

I had the whole midline incision version, not the bikini line incision, as I had severe endometriosis, an ovarian cyst, a large fibroid pressing on my spine, and they did an appendectomy while they were in there. So your experience may vary from mine as to the magnitude of the procedure.

Pace yourself . . . don't be overly ambitious. When my mom had hers, she came home from hospital and immediately went to the garden to handwater all her potted plants. That just about finished her off for that day. So be sensible about what you do, especially where lifting or dragging objects is concerned. It will pay off in the end.

Hope you're back to your old self soon.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:09 AM

14,000 posts, read 15,084,342 times
It takes time especially the older you are. Mines been decades but I remember it took longer than I thought. Our minds are ready to go, but give your body a bit more time. It was a big operation

Old 01-15-2020, 12:56 AM

23 posts, read 16,583 times
I had a laparoscopic robotic hysterectomy last year and I was pretty out of it for a few days. Like others have said, just lying low on the sofa and then moving around can make you feel woozy. So can pain killers and anesthesia. I don't know how old you are, but I find that the older I get, the longer it takes for anesthesia to leave me. I slept a whole lot for the first few days home (after one night in the hospital.) Just take it easy - you'll be feeling better soon.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:23 AM

8,381 posts, read 3,063,204 times
When I had my hysterectomy, I was home bound for about a week. Except I would take small walks outside. And when I say small walks, they would be slow little walks to the end of the driveway, and back. I don't think I was even driving till the second week, I think. I think you way over did it, going to the store.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:28 AM

8,381 posts, read 3,063,204 times
I'm curious...were you cleared by your doctor to get out and drive?

Old 01-15-2020, 11:51 AM

4,191 posts, read 3,571,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angiesteve View Post
OP, do yourself a favor and have your groceries delivered (ideally) or pick them up curbside if possible. It's a huge help at times like these, and the cost is often minimal to nothing for your first few orders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness