Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 01:40 PM

218 posts, read 214,058 times

Advertisements

Talk to me about circumcisions..

I'm a male and circumcised. My wife has left the decision up to me. I do not remember or have any illicit feelings toward being circumcised, but apparently some men do..

I'm versed on the religious and health aspects of the topic, just looking for some personal feedback. Feel free to overlap on religious and health aspects IF NECESSARY, as I'm sure I haven't heard it all..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 05:03 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times
When my son was born we had it done. In our case my husband and his brother were not circumcised and both wound up having to do it later in life. My husband said the pain was horrible and he was only 5 when he had it done. Based on that he felt strongly about it. It’s also a lot easier to keep clean when it’s done from what I hear. Plus less embarrassing in the locker room and when they become sexually active from what my husband said. I guess kids are cruel and made comments about the kid who wasn’t at his all boys high school (lovely huh?).

Anyways the decision is a hard one but those are our reasons for doing it. Good luck with whatever you do decide.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:12 PM

218 posts, read 214,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
When my son was born we had it done. In our case my husband and his brother were not circumcised and both wound up having to do it later in life. My husband said the pain was horrible and he was only 5 when he had it done. Based on that he felt strongly about it. It’s also a lot easier to keep clean when it’s done from what I hear. Plus less embarrassing in the locker room and when they become sexually active from what my husband said. I guess kids are cruel and made comments about the kid who wasn’t at his all boys high school (lovely huh?).

Anyways the decision is a hard one but those are our reasons for doing it. Good luck with whatever you do decide.
See that's exactly what I thought. The same things went on when I was in school as well. But I watched a documentary on it and the way circumcised men were explaining how they felt in adulthood about it blew me away. Many of them were legitimately angry and carried with them animosity toward their parents and doctors. One guy even called the doctor up and bit*hed him out. My thoughts are that how can you miss or feel that way towards something that you never knew was there? My immediate response would be to say "Are you really calling me for this?? Get over it and move on"...

Old 01-20-2020, 01:42 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
My Ex also had it done as an adolescent and found it traumatic and was embarrassed in the locker room before that. He'd been born 2 months prematurely, which was a big deal in 1946, so they didn't do it when he was a baby. When DS was born I left the decision to the Ex and he said get the kid circumcised so we did. DS has a baby boy and, not having seen him during a bath or a diaper change, I'm not sure what they decided!

If I had the decision to make in this day and age, I think I'd leave it alone. It makes little sense to me to chop off something that you're born with unless it's giving you problems. One of the few men I've been with who wasn't circumcised was born in Cuba. He was perfectly happy with it although, growing up in the US after they emigrated when he was 6, I'm sure he was "different". The doctor tried to convince him to have his son circumcised (this would have been early 1980s) and my friend refused. As far as I know, his son is OK with that.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:07 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Did you look through the Parenting forum? Surely this has been discussed many times.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnD View Post
See that's exactly what I thought. The same things went on when I was in school as well. But I watched a documentary on it and the way circumcised men were explaining how they felt in adulthood about it blew me away. Many of them were legitimately angry and carried with them animosity toward their parents and doctors. One guy even called the doctor up and bit*hed him out. My thoughts are that how can you miss or feel that way towards something that you never knew was there? My immediate response would be to say "Are you really calling me for this?? Get over it and move on"...
Remember documentaries are designed with an agenda in mind. They are just like many studies we hear and read about. I certainly would not let something like watching one and hearing about a handful who supported the agenda. In today's society a very small group can create a very large protest. Yes, there are some who are resentful but the majority of men, I am sure think nothing about their parents decision and for health reasons it is better to have it done, than take any chances. My father was not, but my brothers were: my husbands father was not, but my husband was and even our son, who was adopted was not when we got him at 9 weeks old. He had it done the very next week. The only reason he was not had to do with the possibility that he may be adopted into a Jewish family and the family may want to have religious ceremony.

Please get you son circumcised!!

Old 01-21-2020, 07:11 AM

602 posts, read 504,783 times
From an intact man, PLEASE DO NOT circumcise him! Would you consider chopping off any other seemingly "useless" part of the body (which foreskin is not), or operating on a girl's genitals? If not, then your son deserves the same respect to his whole body.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:34 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Every man I have come across who was not circumcised has said to not do it. Every man I have come across who was circumcised has said to do it.

There are a few outliers in each camp, but generally the conscientious is that whatever someone is or isn't, that's what they say is best. I only have girls, so we never had to make this decision. However, I told my husband I would defer to him, since he knows more about it than I do. And he was adamant that we would have it done if we had a boy (my husband is).

So, I don't think you're going to hear anything you don't already know. I will say that so many boys today are not, that I think the locker room thing is a non-issue these days.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:02 AM

21,925 posts, read 9,494,494 times
I dated an uncut guy once. He had me convinced. I would have had a hard time doing it. My husband wanted to do it if we had boys. I am glad we had girls so I didn't have to have the fight. I really wonder about all of this bullying going on in locker rooms. Geez, we let men go in women's locker rooms now and we are worried about this still?

Old 01-21-2020, 10:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
From an intact man, PLEASE DO NOT circumcise him! Would you consider chopping off any other seemingly "useless" part of the body (which foreskin is not), or operating on a girl's genitals? If not, then your son deserves the same respect to his whole body.
OMG you make it sound like they are taking off his penis or something? The procedure takes about 5 minutes, rarely causes any side effects and heals in a day or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness